[sci.electronics] Solar powered car

murray@jumbo.dec.com (Hal Murray) (02/17/89)

There is an interesting article in the latest Scientific American
describing a GM/Hughs/AeroVironment solar powered car that won the race
across Australia.

They used GaAs solar cells to get another 20 or 30% more energy relative
to silicon. Anybody know what the rough costs are?  Where does amorphous
silicon fit on the cost/efficiency chart?

The article also discusses batteries a lot. Silver-zinc has 4 times the
energy density of lead-acid. Anybody know how NiCads compare with sealed
lead gell cells in energy density (or price)?

cook@stout.ucar.edu (Forrest Cook) (02/18/89)

In article <13582@jumbo.dec.com> murray@jumbo.dec.com (Hal Murray) writes:
>.. GM/Hughs/AeroVironment solar powered car that won the race across Australia.
>They used GaAs solar cells to get another 20 or 30% more energy relative
>to silicon. Anybody know what the rough costs are?  Where does amorphous
>silicon fit on the cost/efficiency chart?

I had an opportunity to talk to Paul McCrearty last summer after one of his
lectures.  He is the main brain behind this vehicle and is also known for
having designined a human powered aircraft.  He told me that the car used
several months worth of the entire world's supply of GaAs solar cells and
that they were donated by one of the Car's sponsors.  I think it was GM,
correct me if this is wrong.  The prices are probably very high at the
present time.

 ^   ^  Forrest Cook   (Opinions, Boy, Those were just Opinions)
/|\ /|\ cook@stout.ucar.edu      (Foghorn Leghorn)
/|\ /|\ {husc6|rutgers|ames|gatech}!ncar!stout!cook
/|\ /|\ {uunet|ucbvax|allegra|cbosgd}!nbires!ncar!stout!cook