[sci.electronics] MAX-232 chip info wanted

phil@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Phil Erickson) (02/14/89)

I've seen numerous references to the MAX-232 chip for TTL/RS232 conversion;
who makes this IC (i.e. part number so I can find it in a databook) and
what's a reasonable price?

Thanks a bunch,
Phil Erickson
         Space Plasma Physics   Upson Hall Cornell University  Ithaca, NY 14850
ARPA: phil@calvin.ee.cornell.edu

In article <939@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> phil@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Phil Erickson) writes:
>I've seen numerous references to the MAX-232 chip for TTL/RS232 conversion;
>who makes this IC (i.e. part number so I can find it in a databook) ...

The part number is MAX-232, just like it says.  It's made by Maxim; don't
expect to find it in databooks from anyone else yet.
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (02/15/89)

In article <939@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> phil@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Phil Erickson) writes:
>I've seen numerous references to the MAX-232 chip for TTL/RS232 conversion;
>who makes this IC (i.e. part number so I can find it in a databook) and
>what's a reasonable price?
>Phil Erickson
>         Space Plasma Physics   Upson Hall Cornell University  Ithaca, NY 14850
>ARPA: phil@calvin.ee.cornell.edu

I got my MAX232 chip from Jameco Electronics, 1355 Shoreway Rd, Belmont,
CA 94002, tel (415) 592-8097.  Jameco is an excellent outfit and has
been around for a long time, I recommend them highly as a satisfied
customer.  The chip costs $4.95.  Jameco sometimes is a little more
expensive than other outfits, but their stock is good and their customer
service is outstanding.  Jameco will also send you the spec sheet you
desire for an extra 50 cents.

According to the specs I have, the chip is made by Maxim.  It requires
two 10uF and two 4.7uF electrolytics to operate.  They recommend an
extra 10uF electrolytic be used from Vcc to GND as close to the chip
as possible to prevent various sundries from making their way up the
power supply lines.

The chip supports two RS232 transmitters and two receivers.  This makes
for a nice port which could handle, say, receive/send data, DSR, and RTS.

--------
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil@icus.islp.ny.us
Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."

cwiener@crlabs.CRLABS.COM (Chris Wiener) (02/16/89)

In article <1989Feb14.163116.16322@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <939@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> phil@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Phil Erickson) writes:
>>I've seen numerous references to the MAX-232 chip for TTL/RS232 conversion;
>>who makes this IC (i.e. part number so I can find it in a databook) ...
>
>The part number is MAX-232, just like it says.  It's made by Maxim; don't
>expect to find it in databooks from anyone else yet.

WRONGO!  Try Intersil ICL-232 or Teledyne Semiconductors TSC232CPE.   I was
given this info by a MAXIM apps engineer when I inquired about second sources
(required for all parts used by my employer).  Call up the factories and ask
for the data sheet.

I can't believe I actually got one on Henry Spencer.   Never thought I'd be
able to prove him wrong :-) :-)

===
Christopher Wiener N2CR                        CR Labs, Cliffside Park, NJ
DOMAIN: cwiener@CRLABS.COM                     UCCP: ..!killer!crlabs!cwiener

"Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance.  It's the thing that makes
 America great.  If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
 have tolerated the last eight years?" ---- Frank Zappa, Feb 1, 1989 ----

rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) (02/16/89)

>>I've seen numerous references to the MAX-232 chip for TTL/RS232 conversion;
>>who makes this IC (i.e. part number so I can find it in a databook) ...
>
>The part number is MAX-232, just like it says.  It's made by Maxim; don't
>expect to find it in databooks from anyone else yet.

Dallas semiconductor makes a similar chip that steals power from the rs232
side for itself. The also make a chip that is powered off the +5 volt side
that has a charge pump for making the +- volts for rs232 (I think it uses
9 volts). Sorry my catalog is at home so I don't have the numbers...

    Paul Rodman/ KA1ZA
    rodman@mfci.uucp

cook@stout.ucar.edu (Forrest Cook) (02/16/89)

In article <464@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>In article <939@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> phil@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Phil Erickson) writes:
>>I've seen numerous references to the MAX-232 chip for TTL/RS232 conversion;
>The chip supports two RS232 transmitters and two receivers.  This makes
>for a nice port which could handle, say, receive/send data, DSR, and RTS.

I highly recommend this chip as a cost saver.  It eliminates the need for an
extra +-10V supply if all you need is RS-232.  This may be pushing the specs
a bit, but we have used the MAX-232 to provide power to a CMOS analog
mux (DG-509) that is used for selecting on of four RS-232 lines.
The mux chip does not draw much current and we are only using one of the
two transmitter sections from the MAX-232.
We have built about 5 of these boxes and they have worked without problems
for over a year.

 ^	Forrest Cook   (The preceding comments were my Opinions)	 ^
/|\	cook@stout.ucar.edu						/|\
/|\	{husc6 | rutgers | ames | gatech}!ncar!stout!cook		/|\
/|\	{uunet | ucbvax | allegra | cbosgd}!nbires!ncar!stout!cook	/|\

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (02/16/89)

In article <1989Feb14.163116.16322@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

> The part number is MAX-232, just like it says.  It's made by Maxim; don't
> expect to find it in databooks from anyone else yet.

It's in the 1987 GE/intersil book (page 11-36) marked Preliminary.

Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz@ssc.uucp
                            uunet!amc!
                      uw-beaver!tikal!

pekka@mina.liu.se (Pekka Akselin [The Mad Midnight Hacker]) (02/16/89)

In article <1989Feb14.163116.16322@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <939@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> phil@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Phil Erickson) writes:
>>I've seen numerous references to the MAX-232 chip for TTL/RS232 conversion;
>>who makes this IC (i.e. part number so I can find it in a databook) ...

... and Linear Technology ...
--
	/pekka
pak@ida.liu.se			  [...The Mad Midnight Hacker Strikes Again...]

dale@ldgo.columbia.edu (dale chayes) (02/17/89)

In article <939@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU>, phil@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Phil Erickson) writes:
> .... MAX-232 chip for TTL/RS232 conversion;
> who makes this IC.....

Its made by:
	Maxim Integrated Products Inc.
	120 San Gabriel Dr.
	Sunnyvale, CA 94086
	(408) 737-7600

They are available from most IC houses. In NYS, you might try Hall-Mark,
Summit, or Pioneer. I can't find my most recent PO, sorry.

They also make a newer part that has the caps for the swithching supply
onboard which makes life neater. In addition, they make switched capacitor
filters, A/Ds, D/A, op amps ect.

Usual disclaimer, I use their parts, and don't have any connection with
the company...

--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964	dale@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu

In article <1702@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:
>> The part number is MAX-232, just like it says.  It's made by Maxim; don't
>> expect to find it in databooks from anyone else yet.
>
>It's in the 1987 GE/intersil book (page 11-36) marked Preliminary.

Of course, we all know that "Preliminary" means anything from "we've
been making this thing for years but we still reserve the right to
change the data sheet without warning" to "we're thinking about making
this thing, if we get enough interest". :-)

More seriously, yup, I was wrong, second sources have started to appear.
Wish Intersil would send me a current databook...
--

neals@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Neal Sedell) (02/24/89)

In article <1419@ncar.ucar.edu> cook@stout.UCAR.EDU (Forrest Cook) writes:
>In article <464@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>>In article <939@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> phil@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Phil Erickson) writes:
>>>I've seen numerous references to the MAX-232 chip for TTL/RS232 conversion;
>>The chip supports two RS232 transmitters and two receivers.  This makes
>extra +-10V supply if all you need is RS-232.  This may be pushing the specs
>a bit, but we have used the MAX-232 to provide power to a CMOS analog
>mux (DG-509) that is used for selecting on of four RS-232 lines.

Since I have a Maxim spec. sheet here I'll looked it up.  They specifically
allow drawing a "small amout of power" from the V+ and V- supplies.  Typical
output impedence for the V+ supply is ~230 Ohms, the V- impedence is ~175 Ohms.
These are at 5V input and I assume using 4.7uF caps all around since the
adjacent graphs for V+ and V- Supply Voltage vs. Load Current call them out.

Give or take the V+ supply will be 8V with a 10mA load including transmitter
outputcurrent, the V- supply wil be around -7V with a (-)10mA load....
Seems the input is doubled first then inverted, so the actual impedence of
the V- output is Rout+ + Rout- => well over 300 Ohms, the graph is no labeled
consistently on the Y axis.

Happy hacking,

--
Neal Sedell