[sci.electronics] Help needeed with AC motor.

wolpert@caip.rutgers.edu (Seth Wolpert) (02/23/89)

Hi there!

I need some help in fixing or replacing a motor from a Transcriptor
turntable I'm trying to restore.  The motor itself is french-made,
with the words "LIC. ATO  CROUZET 831A BREVETE S.G.D.G.".  The
problem with the motor is that the windings are open, but they're
all sealed in an opaque white plastic that appears to have been
molded on.  Alas, I cannot inspect them to check the location where
the input wire is spliced onto the winding wire, which is where I
suspect the break had occurred.  Are there any suggestions for how
to cut/melt/dissolve away the plastic at that site without damaging
the delicate windings underneath??  Am I better off just scrapping
the whole thing??

In that case, I will have to replace the motor.  Any suggestions on
where to find a compatible motor quickly and inexpensively?  THis one
is cylindrical, about an inch thick and just under two inches in
diameter.  It runs on 120VAC, and should turn (according to my
calculations on motor and platter pulley size and platter rotation
speed) at about 1800 RPM clockwise.  It's brushless and has five poles
on the rotor and five on the stator, but I'm not sure of how to relate
that statistic to overall engine RPM's.  (Help needed here, too.)

Since it is going into a nice turntable, the motor should be quiet,
smooth, and well-shielded.  Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Please e-mail or post if you desire to enlighten the rest of us.

Many thanks..

Seth Wolpert
SW** I LOVE mankind-it's PEOPLE I can't stand!  Linus Van Pelt  **SW

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (02/24/89)

In article <Feb.22.13.15.20.1989.9470@caip.rutgers.edu>, wolpert@caip.rutgers.edu (Seth Wolpert) writes:

> turntable I'm trying to restore.  The motor itself is french-made,
> with the words "LIC. ATO  CROUZET 831A BREVETE S.G.D.G.".  The
> problem with the motor is that the windings are open, but they're
> all sealed in an opaque white plastic that appears to have been
> molded on.  Alas, I cannot inspect them to check the location where
> the input wire is spliced onto the winding wire, which is where I
> suspect the break had occurred.  Are there any suggestions for how
> to cut/melt/dissolve away the plastic at that site without damaging
> the delicate windings underneath??  Am I better off just scrapping

Sounds to me that you'd be better off taking the thing down to an
electrical repair shop or look up "Electric Motors" in the yellow pages
and call a few of them who advertise rewinding services.
That insulative goo was put there because their manufacturing process
blew chunks. Forget getting it off with anything other than a severe
thermonuclear attack.
They'd be able to rewind another core or use that one after they've nuked it.

Another option is to write off to the company in question (if they still
). There are many motors availble that I'm sure would fit into
the housing and operate at the desired RPM. A look through some catalogs
might help. Failing that, "wind your own!"

	-Mike
= Mike Carter  N7GYX, Phoenix AZ| Q: Why did the Chicken cross the road  ?  =
= hplabs!hp-sdd!crash!xroads!wiz| A: To ESCape the Main Menu .              =