[sci.electronics] bizarre X10 problem

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU (02/23/89)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           02/22/89 19:56:08
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From: Doug Mosher
 Subject: bizarre X10 problem

 To: sci-electronics@ucbvax

 I've had a houseful of X10 devices in my house for many years. I am familiar
 with most of their quirks by now. For example, sometimes a signal does not
 reach all the way between a desired control location and a desired device. And
 the units do fail and need replacement. And it is helpful to put a .1
 microfarad 600 v capacitor across the 220 to help signals bridge between the
 two "halves".

 Another reason that sometimes controls will not work, only discovered
 recently: if any of your sending devices breaks and starts sending a
 continuous signal, that will make other control actions less reliable, but
 will not kill them all! For example, I had a computer controller fail and send
 continuous signals, and lost the ability to turn off half my lights, but not
 all of them, until I reset the errant controller.

 But now I have an apparently insolvable problem that bugs me a lot. I have
 used a wall switch module to control my overhead living room lights (400 W
 incandescent track lites, 8-50W units, wall switch module rated 500W).

 I control the lights from the module itself and from 3 other controllers plus
 a homeminder. Everything has worked for years.

 Recently I lost the ability to remotely control this circuit. The wall button
 still works, but I can't turn the lights on or off or dim them from any of the
 3 manual controllers nor the homeminder. (All functions are lost: on, off,
 dim, bright, and all-on all-off).

 I replaced the bridge capacitor, no help. I have tried 3 different wall
 modules, of different vintages, and they all fail exactly the same way. Note
 that the failure occurs even with all-different components, sender and
 receiver.

 About the only thing I can think of is that recently I got TV cable service
 installed, and at the same time redid all the wiring in my hi-fi area
 (rebundled all the power cords etc. to make them look nice). I am aware that
 the X10 stuff is somewhat sensitive to what you do with your cords; perhaps
 this is a problem with coiled cords being capacitive leaks or standing waves
 or whatever, caused by the new cable or the rearranged power wires.

 I'm sure curious what to do to fix this. Having controlled my living room
 lights for a decade, and now all of a sudden not being able to no matter how
 many devices I replace, is very inconvenient and very weird.

 Obviously it would be nice to be able to see the signals at this and that
 location. Years ago I bought a scope and found that the tiny little
 line modulation signal, on top of the giant 60 cycle signal, is like
 trying to study a flea on an elephant. Tiny, wiggly, and one looks like
 another; can't see the real code being sent.

 Any ideas?

 (                                                            )
 (          Doug Mosher <SPGDCM@CMSA.Berkeley.edu>            )
 (                      ...!ucbvax!cmsa!spgdcm                )
 ( 257 Evans, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA, 415/642-5823 )
      bizarre X10 problem

jim@trsvax.UUCP (02/25/89)

You might use a 60Hz notch filter (or just a high-pass - cheaper) on the
'scope input when looking for the carrier-current signals.
btw: please don't use the earlier posted resistive 60Hz hum filters 8{)
James T. Wyatt UUCP:decvax!microsoft!trsvax!rwsys!jim   KA5VJL

royf@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Roy Frederick) (02/27/89)

A circuit for a twin-T network useful for viewing
signals on the power line is described in the book
"Handbook of Remote Control & Automation Techniques" by
John E. Cunningham & Delton T. Horn (TAB Books # 1777).
The circuit is a 60 cycle notch filter. One leg has DC
continuity - so you must be sure that that leg is connected
in the neutral line - else sparks will fly when you connect
to your scope!  It might be prudent to measure between that line
and your scope ground before making the connection just to be
sure.

Well, here is the circuit given in the book:

                          |-----------------------------|
                          |                             |
            |----r2-------|---r2-----|                  |
            |                        |                  |
Line in     |                        |                  |
o-----------|                        |--------o  out    |
            |                        |                  |
            |                        |                  |
            |----c1---|-------c1-----|                  |
                      |                                 |
                      |        |------------------------|
                      r1       c2
                      |        |
o---------------------|--------|---------------o Neutral out

Component values:

c1 - 9 uf at 600v
c2 - 18 uf at 600v
r1 - 500 ohm pot set to 147
r2 - 500 ohm pot set to 295

Unfortunately, with these values the device is going to be bulky and
expensive.  The author justified these values because he had some
9 uf surplus caps available.

It is my opinion that at the frequencies you want to see,
much smaller capacitors could be used.  Perhaps the following
values would be ok:

c1 - 0.05 uf at 600v     or    c1 - 1 uf at 600v
c2 - 0.1 uf at 600v            c2 - 2 uf at 600v
r1 - 26500 ohm                 r1 - 1325 ohm
r2 - 53100 ohm                 r2 - 2650 ohm

Some adjustment of the pots will be necessary to null out the
60 hertz signal due the the inaccuracy of the values of the caps.

Disclaimer:  I have not tried this circuit.  It looks like it should
   work, but there is danger any time you are dealing with the
   power line.  Be careful.

BTW, Jensen Tools sells a Line Noise Viewer that provides line isolation
for the tiny sum of $450 or so.  I don't know if the bandwidth is good
enough to see X10 signals, though.

Roy Frederick
Dallas County Data Services
504 Records Bldg
Dallas, TX 75202

In article <7334@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> royf@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Roy Frederick) writes:
>The circuit is a 60 cycle notch filter. One leg has DC
>continuity - so you must be sure that that leg is connected
>in the neutral line - else sparks will fly when you connect
>to your scope!  It might be prudent to measure between that line
>and your scope ground before making the connection just to be
>sure.

It *would* be prudent.  More prudent would be to avoid using circuits
designed by the ignorant.  Neutral is not ground.  NEUTRAL IS NOT GROUND!
---> ***NEUTRAL IS NOT GROUND!!!*** <---
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu