[sci.electronics] Monitors with EGA and VCR video inputs

david@cullsj.UUCP (David Taylor) (02/25/89)

We are about to buy both an IBM AT-compatible with EGA and a VCR player.
Since we do not own a TV and do not want one, both need a monitor.
Since we won't be using both simultaneously, we'd like one monitor for both.
When we used a Commodore 64 and composite monitor, this was easy.
But now the composit monitor is dead and when I ask computer dealers
about watching videos on an EGA (or multisync) monitor, I draw blanks.
 I understand that EGA uses digital signals on a 9-pin connector
and VCR (at least the one's we've rented), use a composite analog signal
on an RCA jack. Aren't there any monitors that can handle both?

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (03/02/89)

In article <505@cullsj.UUCP> david@cullsj.UUCP (David Taylor) writes:
>We are about to buy both an IBM AT-compatible with EGA and a VCR player.
[Assorted stuff deleted]
>on an RCA jack. Aren't there any monitors that can handle both?
You bet.  I have a Mitsubshi Diamond Scan monitor.  It handles TTL monocrome,
TTL RGB, Analog RGB, and composite video.  It looks GREAT with a VCR, and
with EGA graphics (or VGA).

I have no connection with Mitsubshi.

Tom Murphy

--
Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
Internet:   tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu

malone@trane.UUCP (Tim Malone) (03/03/89)

In article <505@cullsj.UUCP>, david@cullsj.UUCP (David Taylor) writes:
> We are about to buy both an IBM AT-compatible with EGA and a VCR player.
>  I understand that EGA uses digital signals on a 9-pin connector
> and VCR (at least the one's we've rented), use a composite analog signal
> on an RCA jack. Aren't there any monitors that can handle both?

	Sure, there are probably several monitors on the market that
will accept several types of video formats.  I use the Sony 1271 PVMQs (I
think).  They're pretty good, especially for the price.  We get 'em
for about $500.  They accept: Composite baseband NTSC, PAL, RGB/Sync,
and some kind of computer (TTL level) multipin input.  I've never used
them for the TTL input, only for analog RGB and baseband video, but the
connector is there.  See the ref manual before you buy.

Tim
(I am the slime on your video
 Oozin' across your living room floor)
P.S.  Why don't you want a TV?  You a commie or sumthin?

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (03/04/89)

In article <505@cullsj.UUCP> david@cullsj.UUCP (David Taylor) writes:
>We are about to buy both an IBM AT-compatible with EGA and a VCR player.
>Since we do not own a TV and do not want one, both need a monitor.
>Since we won't be using both simultaneously, we'd like one monitor for both.
>When we used a Commodore 64 and composite monitor, this was easy.
>But now the composit monitor is dead and when I ask computer dealers
>about watching videos on an EGA (or multisync) monitor, I draw blanks.
> I understand that EGA uses digital signals on a 9-pin connector
>and VCR (at least the one's we've rented), use a composite analog signal
>on an RCA jack. Aren't there any monitors that can handle both?

Try using a Commodore-Amiga monitor.  The current model, 1084D, has inputs
for digital and analog RGB, composite video, Y-S separated video and stereo
sound.  I believe that it lists for about $300 and the image quality is
decent.

I think that Panasonic and probably Sony also make TV/monitors with RGB and
composite input.  Unfortunately I do not have any information on those
products.

						Christopher Douty
						cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER; use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
with SILLY_QUOTE; use SILLY_QUOTE