[sci.electronics] Need timer on phone ring

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (03/13/89)

I'd like to automatically prevent my phone from ringing during certain
hours.  Preferably, the phone would still be connected and would work, it
just wouldn't ring.  I don't want to open up the phone and modify it.

Any ideas? - the best I came up with was a cheap 24 hour timer + a relay to
cut off the phone completely.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			mailrus!b-tech!zeeff

wcurtiss@x102c.harris-atd.com (Curtiss WC 67625) (03/13/89)

In article <9114@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>I'd like to automatically prevent my phone from ringing during certain
>hours.  Preferably, the phone would still be connected and would work, it
>just wouldn't ring.  I don't want to open up the phone and modify it.
>
>Any ideas? - the best I came up with was a cheap 24 hour timer + a relay to
>cut off the phone completely.
>

>--
>  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
>  Ann Arbor, MI			mailrus!b-tech!zeeff

Try Radio Shack part # 43-127 hooked up to your timer.  If you want to build
your own, basically you just have to block a 60-70 VAC signal, I believe.
That's the ring, everything else is DC and less than this, I think -- its
been a long time since I've played with the phone line.  Anyone want to
correct my errors?

William Curtiss         407/984-6383            | "The only good martyr
Harris GISD, Melbourne, FL  32902               |  is a dead martyr."
Internet: wcurtiss%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com |