[sci.electronics] How I Fixed my Sony Discman

mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) (03/11/89)

I was surprised and certainly pleased to find that I could fix my
Sony D-55 portable CD player myself.  For what it's worth, here's
how it went.

The unit started skipping randomly a long distance (over a minute's
worth) on all CDs.  I tolerated it for awhile, but mostly just used
the radio, and it got worse and worse.  Finally, it wouldn't even
start the disk spinning.  I had given it up for dead, and given
the cost of service vs. getting a new one, I expected I'd just get
another player soon.  Figuring I had nothing to lose, I opened it up,
expecting a very difficult time dealing with tiny, tightly packed
parts.

I was surprised to find the unit is very simple inside.
The bottom cover is held on by the tiniest screws, requiring an eyeglass
screwdriver.  All the screws for the cover have little arrows pointing
to them - removing other screws would probably be a big mistake. Just
removing the bottom cover exposes everything - electronics on one side,
and the mechanism on the other.  The laser head simply rides
on a pair of rails, positioned by a lead screw which is turned by
a tiny DC motor, using the cutest little belt I've ever seen.
Another little belt connects the drive spindle to its motor, which
hides under the electronics.  Beautiful surface-mounted chips.

I found one end of the lead screw had jumped out of its nylon
bearing.  Probably it was knocked loose by a fall.  Very carefully,
I firmly snapped it back in with tiny electronics pliers, and
tried it out.  Success!  I blew out the insides with one of those
rubber dust blowers for cameras, and put the cover back on.
I don't know that the fix is permanent, but so far so good.

Again, I wouldn't recommend opening up your CD player unless you are
willing to scrap it, as I was.  Work in a very clean place with
excellent light and be very conscious of dust.  Don't defeat any switches
that could allow you to get zapped by the laser.  Don't touch anything
you absolutely don't have to.  But don't be intimidated by the size and
apparent complexity of a Discman as I had been, the real complexities
are hidden in the laser head and the chips.  My unit's failure was
mundane.

--
Mike Butts, Research Engineer         KC7IT           503-626-1302
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton OR 97005

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (03/14/89)

In article <1989Mar10.172319.4303@mntgfx.mentor.com>, mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) writes:
> Don't defeat any switches
> that could allow you to get zapped by the laser.

Does anyone sell goggles that protect against red/infared lasers?
Every TV serviceman should have some :-).

Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz@ssc.uucp
                            uunet!amc!
                      uw-beaver!tikal!

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) (03/14/89)

I have a problem with my Sony portable--I was playing it with the battery pack
down in the ol' computer center.  The battery low light went on, but I wasn't
sure how long I had.  Unfortunately, I played it 'til it died.  There was a
click and it hasn't worked since.  Any ideas what happened?  The only thing
that I can think of is the battery, in it's desperation, put out a larger-than
normal burst at the very end, but this seems rather far-fetched.

HELP!

--
         "If I cannot create it, I do not understand it"
                                        -Richard Feynman