[sci.electronics] Looking for info about GOES WEFAX satellite signal

swakisak@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Steve Wakisaka) (03/14/89)

I am working on a project and I need help on receiving the GOES WEFAX
satellite signal.  I am trying to find any equipment that will help me
receive and process the signal.  I cannot find any company that makes
equipment that works in the 1691 MHz range.  If anyone can help me, can
you please reply asap.

Thank you.

frank@ut-emx.UUCP (Frank Abernathy) (03/15/89)

In article <477@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, swakisak@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Steve Wakisaka) writes:

> I am working on a project and I need help on receiving the GOES WEFAX
> satellite signal.  I am trying to find any equipment that will help me
> STUFF DELETED**
GOES antenna, PREAMP, 1691 to 137.50MHZ down converter are all available
from: Spectrum Internation, Inc., P.O. Box 1084S, Concord, MA 01742.
      Phone (508)-263-2145.  Expect to pay about $700.00 for it.

Software: Elmer W. Schwittek, 2347 Coach House Lane, Naples, FLA 33942.
      Phone (813)-434-2268.  About $45~50 for a decent scan coverter pkg.
      for IBM PC compatibles.  Also, he includes some filter and A/D prints.

I can not say anything about SI, have not used them (saw ad in '73 mag.).
Elmer's software works pretty good.  You'll also WANT to get a 'gray scale'
monitor.  There is quite a difference from looking at a mush of colors and
16 gray scales for your images...

Hope this helps.
(I posted rather than replying, others might be interested.)

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (03/16/89)

In article <11183@ut-emx.UUCP>, frank@ut-emx.UUCP (Frank Abernathy) writes:
> In article <477@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, swakisak@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Steve Wakisaka) writes:
> >
> > I am working on a project and I need help on receiving the GOES WEFAX
> > satellite signal.  I am trying to find any equipment that will help me

Universal Shortwave in Reynoldsburg, OH, sells a realy nice FAX (AM/FM)
decoder that uses 9 and 24 pin Epson compatible printers for display.
It is the Info-Tech M-800v2 from DES (Digital Electronic Systems ?) out
of Florida.  I have one of the units and am VERY pleased with the results.
The unit costs somwhere between $300-$400.  The unit has auto START/STOP,
speeds of 60, 90, 120, 240 lpms, frame sizes of 288 & 576 IOCs, both
line (B/W) and grey scale (16-shades) formats, and negative or positive
picture polarity.  It supports FM Fax for shortwave and AM Fax for
satellites.

One thing about the M-800 is the clarity of detail it gives maps in
the LINE mode.  Of course, when you use the grey scale mode to get the
grey-scale shading, you lose some of the clarity of the object, but the
detail is still impressive.

The nicest thing about the M-800 is how cheap it is to operate.  I have
a WeatherFax RJ-4 (old) carbon transfer FAX machine I bought surplus,
and the paper and carbon for it tweren't cheap!  With the M-800, I just
pipe the audio from my Yaesu to it and hook it up to my 24-pin
Sekoshia (parallel interface) and away she goes.  I reink my ribbons
every now and then, so about I the only operating costs (visible) is
electricity and paper.

You can reach Universal at: 1-614-866-4267.  Their address is 1280 Aida
Drive, Reynoldsburg, OH, 43068.  Ask for Fred Osterman as he is the guru
on this stuff.  NOTE: I am *NOT* associated with Universal in any way
other than I love the product and am a very satisfied customer!

Hope this helps.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Ya'll com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________