[sci.electronics] Where can I get an inexpensive seismometer?

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (03/11/89)

In article <37061@bbn.COM> aboulanger@bbn.com writes:
>Ah the good ole days! There was indeed a book of some of the 50s-60s
>Amateur Science articles including the seismometer. Wasn't the guy Gil
>Strang? The publisher was Freedman.
>
>Albert Boulanger

C. L. Stong.

Yep, I enjoy Jearl Walker's "Amateur Scientist," but I sure miss Stong's. The
latter had a lot more construction-oriented stuff. There was a book published
containing many of the better projects -- there were a couple of copies in my
high-school library, and I had one or the other checked out a LOT of the time.

It seems to me that I remember reading somewhere that a more recent edition had
been put out that contained more recent stuff, too, but that's lost in the
mists of memory.

Brother, some of those projects! The aforementioned seismometer, a linear par-
ticle accelerator, vaccuum systems, cryogenics, nuclear magnetic resonance,
x-ray generators, telescopes, spectrometers,...

Hey, and remember, this was prior to 1965 with NO MICROCOMPUTERS AVAILABLE!

				"Those were The Days,"

     "Nous sommes les petits lapins -- assis sur nos petits derrieres."
   Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu

paul@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul Bame) (03/21/89)

Gateway Electronics in San Jose had some used seismic sensors.  I got
one but haven't had time to play with it.  I think it's a heavy metal
shell with a moving coil inside - kinda like a speaker.  There is a
threaded fitting (about 3/8") on one end.  The whole thing is about 1.5"
in diameter by 2.5" long.  I suspect they are removed from military
surplus something or other.  You get a copy of a little op-amp circuit
with it which includes, among other things, a comparator to switch an
output if the detected seismic amplitude is above a certain level.  Maybe
these were used in land-mines :-)

	-Paul Bame