[sci.electronics] MOTOR puzzle

yphotons@athena.mit.edu (Sun Warrior) (03/18/89)

What would be the best strategy in solving the following problem:

Given 2 small rectangular magnets, approx 5 feet of wire, 2 thumb
tacks, 2 paper clips, and a small block of wood (about 4"X2"x.5") How
would one built a motor so that it can at least reach 2600 rpm. Only
these items can used, the use of glue, tape, etc will disqualify you.
NOTE only these items can used in thethe motor but you can use a drill
to make holes or a saw to cut the wood in building the motor etc.

send suggestions to yphotons@athena.mit.edu

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (03/18/89)

In article <9915@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> yphotons@athena.mit.edu writes:
>What would be the best strategy in solving the following problem:

>Given 2 small rectangular magnets, approx 5 feet of wire, 2 thumb
>tacks, 2 paper clips, and a small block of wood (about 4"X2"x.5") How
>would one built a motor so that it can at least reach 2600 rpm. Only
>these items can used, the use of glue, tape, etc will disqualify you.
>NOTE only these items can used in thethe motor but you can use a drill
>to make holes or a saw to cut the wood in building the motor etc.

Get the Wolf or Bear Cub Scout handbook from ca. 1950.  There was a lovely
motor project using just those parts... Maybe you can earn your gold arrow
point for it.

BTW: Tape is useful to hold the wire that becomes the commutator.  I guess
that disqualifies me.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

macs%worke@Sun.COM (Manuel Cisneros) (03/29/89)

In article <9915@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> yphotons@athena.mit.edu writes:
>What would be the best strategy in solving the following problem:
>
>tacks, 2 paper clips, and a small block of wood (about 4"X2"x.5") How
>would one built a motor so that it can at least reach 2600 rpm. Only

Ask any high school physics student who has done this as part of a class
(I think it is a fairly common lab project, at least it was at out high school).

Manuel.