[sci.electronics] Sony Tech Info needed

lftseng@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Lawrence Fu Tseng) (03/30/89)

I have a rather specific tech question to ask the net.

Does anyone know how strictly Sony's DAT machines adhere to the
AES/EBU (American Engineering Society/European B.U. something)
standards when receiving AES digitally encoded data?

I want to design a computer interface that will send the DAT machine
AES/EBU formatted digital audio.  I would like to avoid generating the
"status block" codes that are embedded in the audio information, but
I am unsure whether they really can be omitted.

Is there a Sony technical info phoneline?  I've heard they have a
consumer hotline, could someone tell me what either of these
numbers are?  Thanks to all.

--
- Larry Tseng
                                  Do leprechauns have any gold?

km3t@jjmhome.UUCP (Dave Pascoe KM3T) (03/31/89)

In article <7468@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, lftseng@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Lawrence Fu Tseng) writes:

> Does anyone know how strictly Sony's DAT machines adhere to the
> AES/EBU (American Engineering Society/European B.U. something)
> standards when receiving AES digitally encoded data?

Not sure about this.

> I want to design a computer interface that will send the DAT machine
> AES/EBU formatted digital audio.  I would like to avoid generating the
> "status block" codes that are embedded in the audio information, but
> I am unsure whether they really can be omitted.
>
> Is there a Sony technical info phoneline?  I've heard they have a
> consumer hotline, could someone tell me what either of these
> numbers are?  Thanks to all.

Sony's info hotline for DAT products is 800-222-7669 (or 201-930-7669).
However, I don't believe any of the Sony DATs have either a digital input
or output.  I know that the Sony TCD-010 does not (a portable unit).

Another source for DAT info (at the very least, price and availability
info) is:        The DAT Store
                 Santa Monica, CA
                 (213) 828-6487

Good luck.

--
  Dave Pascoe KM3T/1  Internet:pascoe%vax2@gte.com
                      UUCP: {harvard,bu-cs}!ulowell!cloud9!jjmhome!km3t