[sci.electronics] Plasma Globe

Azoth@cup.portal.com (Victor cthulhu Gibbs) (04/09/89)

Help.

I am looking for plans on building a plasma display globe.
Can anyone help me by sending plans or recommending a place
where I can locate the plans.
Thanks

I can be reached USnail at
Chris Thomas
D313 Garcia
Las Cruces, NM
88003

or email

 ______________________________  _______________________________
{ azathoth-the blind idiot god/  \ BE ALL YOU CAN BE $ART$/\    }
{ AZOTH@CUP.PORTAL.COM     __/   /\___/\/\/\_/\____/\/\__/  \_/\}
{--------------------------\  DISCLAIMER: what we did was of no }
{ rosebud? what is rosebud? \/\/ consequence, mearly a game     }
{__-citizen_kane____________/  \______-machen,_the_white_people_}

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (04/09/89)

In article <16914@cup.portal.com>, Azoth@cup.portal.com (Victor cthulhu Gibbs) writes:
> Help.
>
> I am looking for plans on building a plasma display globe.
> Can anyone help me by sending plans or recommending a place
> where I can locate the plans.
> Thanks

Well, one place is Information Unlimited... I can't remember their address
at the moment, but you should be able to find their ads in quite a few
electronics magazines (Popular Science, Radio-Electronics, etc).  In addition
to plasma globes, they've also got a variety of interesting stuff including
magnetic and sonic devices and lasers..

One other note I might make, is if you get the plans to their "solid state
tesla coil" you can buy one of those small light bulbs that look more or less
like a clear globe, connect the output of the coil to bulb and provided that
the bulb is filled with a gas and the output of the coil is great enough
you'll get the same plasma globe effect when you touch your hand to the glass.
I've done this and it seems to work well, the only problem is to find a bulb
of the right size for the output of the coil.. (the filament should be right
in the centre of the bulb, otherwise you'll get effects greater in one
direction than the other)   If you DO decide to go this route, coat the base
of the bulb (where the metal screw connection meets the glass) with epoxy or
RTV as the unit tends to produce a corona at that junction...

Vince

Disclaimer-> Neither I nor my associates are responsible for any damages
             resulting from the use of the information herein.  This
             information is, the the best of my knowledge correct, however
             I will not take responsibility for the misuse or misinterpretation
             after all, it may have been garbled in transmiss}}}}i}i}i ;-)
Replies to: Vince Demarco care of the following:
		CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
		CYLau%UNCAMULT.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU

sprouse@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Steven Sprouse) (04/10/89)

In article <16914@cup.portal.com> Azoth@cup.portal.com (Victor cthulhu Gibbs) writes:
>Help.
>
>I am looking for plans on building a plasma display globe.
>Can anyone help me by sending plans or recommending a place
>where I can locate the plans.
>Thanks

 A recent issue of Radio Electronics had plans for a plasma
globe. I believe it was either the Dec. 1988 or the Jan. 1989
issue. They also have a reference for plans for a suitable
power supply. (I think the power supply design was sometime about
the April 1988 issue.)
	I got all the parts but have not had the time to put it
 all together. The key thing you need is access to some sort
 of vacuum pump and a source of inert gasses. The pump does not
 have to be fancy . Any high school or college physics dept
 will have one. As far as the inert gases go, you don't need that
 much gas but I don't know what the smallest quantity you can buy
 is.
				-Steve