[sci.electronics] Composite on RGB monitor

cmoore@oahu.prime.com (Chris Moore) (04/04/89)

Hi Netters,

I want to send a composite video signal into my Atari ST color monitor.

Does anybody know of a black box or schematic to convert a composite
signal to analog RGB??  I know that monitors do different scanning rates
as well.  Is this also an issue for using the ST monitor with composite
video?   ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED!  Thanks in advance!

Chris Moore                                     Prime Computer
cmoore@oahu.prime.com

#include <disclaimer.h>
Chris Moore     Hardware Engineer	Pr1me Computer, Inc.
cmoore@oahu.prime.com		My opinions are my own, not Prime's

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (04/08/89)

In article <1058@cvbnet2.UUCP>, cmoore@oahu.prime.com (Chris Moore) writes:

> Hi Netters,
>

> I want to send a composite video signal into my Atari ST color monitor.
>
> Does anybody know of a black box or schematic to convert a composite

The Atari monitor is RGB, meaning separate wires for each color.  The is
no separator inside to accept composite.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (04/12/89)

In <1058@cvbnet2.UUCP>, cmoore@oahu.UUCP (Chris Moore) asks:
>I want to send a composite video signal into my Atari ST color monitor.
>Does anybody know of a black box or schematic to convert a composite
>signal to analog RGB??  I know that monitors do different scanning rates
>as well.  Is this also an issue for using the ST monitor with composite
>video?   ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED!  Thanks in advance!

I used to have such an item; it worked very well; unfortunately, I don't
have all the details.  But here's what I have: it was a TV tuner for RGB
monitors.  Its retail price was something under $100, and it was made by
Taxan.  I used it with a Taxan RGB monitor that one could charitably call
"piss-poor" -- but as a TV, it was remarkably good.  My roommates and I used
to make fun of the old "Zenith beat Sony again?!?" ads --> "Taxan beat Sony
again??"

Anyway.  You asked for a composite --> RGB device.  I don't remember if the
Taxan device had a composite input, or was strictly an RF tuner.  It was
definitely cable-compatible.  If you were willing to put up with an
additional layer of degradation, you could wire up:

  composite source --> RF modulator --> RF-to-RGB tuner --> ST monitor

If you simply want to use the monitor as a TV, expect an excellent picture.

(I was unable to post this to comp.sys.atari.st: gorn doesn't get it and
inews won't buy it).

   **   Bela Lubkin    filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us    filbo@ssyx.ucsc.edu
  **       ...Internet site (e.g.: sun|apple)!gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us!filbo
   *                                      Filbo @Pyrzqxgl, (408) 476-4633