[sci.electronics] Lorentz Actuators : Info Wanted <You mean Lorenz?>

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (04/14/89)

In article <9294@dasys1.UUCP> aj-mberg@dasys1.UUCP (Micha Berger) writes:
>In article <1323@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, bbb1s@hudson.acc.virginia.edu (banerjee bibhuti bhusan) writes:
>>    I am looking for information on LORENTZ ACTUATORS.
>In fact, they are almost identical, they just differ by a factor of
>
>			___________
>		       /          2
>		     \/  1 - (V/C)
>
>(Actually, I never heard of them before.)

I think you mean "Lorenz attractors?"
Sad actually, misunderstanding, that is.
I believe Lorenz (as opposed to the physicist Lorentz) is/was a
mathematician working on meteorology (atmospheric physics) in the early
1960s when he discovered what some call "the Mask."

Simple descriptions appear in the books:

%A R. Abraham
%A C. Shaw
%T Dynamics: The Geometry of Behavior
%S Visual Mathematics Library
%V 2, Chaotic Behavior
%V 3, Global Behavior
%I Aerial Press
%C Santa Cruz, CA
%D 1984

Starting on page 86? of part 2.
There is also a SIGGRAPH video "Fly Lorenz."
A detailed description can be found in

%A C. Sparrow
%T The Lorenz Equations
%I Springer-Verlag
%C New York
%D 1982

There are also numerous books on non-linear dynamics, fractals, and that
non-descriptive catch-all term "chaos."  [See Gleick]

Don't worry. When I first heard the term "Feigenbaum's" constant,
"Oh! There's a new value for Feignebaum's constant!"
I thought Edward Feigenbaum had done some real work, it took me a little
while to realize my climbing partner meant "Mitchell Feigenbaum."
Ach! Who's Mitchell?!  Bill had never heard of "Edward Feigenbaum."
Who's Edward?! I don't know.  Ach!  Science is getting too complex!

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  				Live free or die.