[sci.electronics] Latest Vivid features?

gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gary L Dare) (04/21/89)

I've just started working with VIVID 1.3 from MCNC and would like to
import .CIF files for editing and further work.  It seems that my
version can only read .CIF into a compacted mask-layout display via
LLAMA.  Are there any utilities that can take a LLAMA display and
translate it into ABCD (A Better Circuit Description)?

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Gary L. Dare				> gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU
	"SLAINTE MHATH!"		> gld@cunixc.BITNET

art@buengc.BU.EDU (A. R. Thompson) (04/21/89)

In article <8904202001.AA03661@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gary L Dare) writes:
>I've just started working with VIVID 1.3 from MCNC and would like to
>import .CIF files for editing and further work.  It seems that my
>version can only read .CIF into a compacted mask-layout display via
>LLAMA.  Are there any utilities that can take a LLAMA display and
>translate it into ABCD (A Better Circuit Description)?

Interesting you should ask.  I wanted to do this a couple of years ago,
for the same reasons you do.  I called MCNC and asked them about doing it
and they said, "Why would you want to do that?"  I tried to explain but
they didn't think it was such a good idea.

I personally think Vivid is a great CAD system but the rest of the world
(read marketplace) didn't agree with me.  MCNC has dropped support for
Vivid, they said there will never be a version 1.4 or 2.x.  This is really
too bad, but under the circumstances I can't see putting effort into
something that's not going anywhere.

/Al Thompson

mikel@mcnc.org (Michael J. Lorenzetti) (04/22/89)

In article <8904202001.AA03661@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gary L Dare) writes:
>I've just started working with VIVID 1.3 from MCNC and would like to
>import .CIF files for editing and further work.  It seems that my
>version can only read .CIF into a compacted mask-layout display via
>LLAMA.  Are there any utilities that can take a LLAMA display and
>translate it into ABCD (A Better Circuit Description)?
>
>gld

We considered the idea of an "uncompactor" to convert masks layouts
(CIF or LLAMA) to symbolic layouts (ABCD). This would allow
designs done for one process to be converted to another process
by recompacting the symbolic version using a new set of rules.
Unfortunately, due to "conflicting priorities", we never got around
to implementing it here at MCNC.

I, too, would be interested in knowing if others have done this
and, if so, how it worked out in practice.