[sci.electronics] Logic Analyzer Card/Software for the IBM-PC?

tom@math.berkeley.edu (04/14/89)

-
I am looking for a logic analyzer card and software to drive it for my
IBM-PC.  I am hoping that this is a cheaper way to go than buying a
stand-alone logic analyzer.  My needs are modest, 8 or 16 channels with
20 nanosecond resolution would be great.  Does such a beast exist?

thanks,

tom erbe-technical director-center for contemporary music-mills college
         tom@mills.berkeley.edu   -or-   tom@jif.berkeley.edu

byronl@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Byron Lunz) (04/15/89)

In article <23069@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> tom@math.berkeley.edu () writes:
>-
>I am looking for a logic analyzer card and software to drive it for my
>IBM-PC.  I am hoping that this is a cheaper way to go than buying a
>stand-alone logic analyzer.  My needs are modest, 8 or 16 channels with
>20 nanosecond resolution would be great.  Does such a beast exist?

I'll probably get some flames for this, but since I work for the Logic
Analyzer Division at Tektronix, I just had to tell you that you can get
a stand-alone analyzer from Tek for only $2995.  That _is_ probably more
expensive than most PC-based LAs, but it won't tie up your PC while
waiting for a trigger.  In addition it's expandable from the built-in
16 channels to 64 channels, offers a long list of microprocessor probes,
and comes with high-quality grabber tips.  The model is the 1230. It's
a 100Mhz analyzer (samples at 10ns maximum rate) with glitch capture
and glitch triggering. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you some info.

Byron Lunz
Tektronix Logic Analyzer Division

byronl@copper.MDP.TEK.COM

tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) (04/17/89)

In article (Byron Lunz) writes:
>In article tom@math.berkeley.edu () writes:

>>I am looking for a logic analyzer card and software to drive it for my

>I'll probably get some flames for this, but since I work for the Logic
>Analyzer Division at Tektronix, I just had to tell you that you can get
>a stand-alone analyzer from Tek for only $2995.  That _is_ probably more
>expensive than most PC-based LAs, but it won't tie up your PC while

Not only is it more expensive, but it probably doesn't have half the
features.  Does the Tektronix logic analyzer have

	o A large, easy-to-read screen?

	o A nice alpha keyboard?

	o A mouse?

	o A floppy disk drive to store acquired data?

	o The ability to generate plots that can be included directly
	  in my word processing (e.g. the data sheet, I am writing)?

	o The ability to hook up a $150 printer to get hardcopy?

There are tremendous advantages in basing products on a standard
platform.  The manufactuer can take advantage of many of the standard
features almost for free.

Tim

tom@jif.berkeley.edu (Tom Erbe) (04/17/89)

Timothy L. Kay writes:
"Not only is it more expensive, but it probably doesn't have half the
features.  Does the Tektronix logic analyzer have

	o A large, easy-to-read screen?

	o A nice alpha keyboard? ..."

I agree, a PC based LA would be very nice, because of all these features.
However, I must repeat my query.  Does a PC based logic analyzer exist?  If
one does, please send me and/or the net some information on it.

thanks again,

garnett@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) (04/18/89)

In article <23199@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> tom@jif.UUCP (Tom Erbe) writes:
>Does a PC based logic analyzer exist?

	There is a company in Ithaca called Array Analysis which makes Logic
Analyzers which can be operated stand alone, or, when connected to a PC become
a much more powerful device. I have used some of their older models, and they
aren't bad. I can't compare them to current Tek, or HP's, because I haven't used
them. They consist of appx. 15"W x 18" D x 2" H boxes, which may be stacked
for more channels. I think one box does up to 32 channels. There are uP modules
available which let you view the bus activity as dissasembled code, (nice),
binary, hex, or whatever. You can store images for later comparison, and you
can also create stimuli. (data signatures, patterns, etc.) or output an old
pattern. I have no idea what pricing is like. Address:
	Array Analysis inc.
	Brown Rd.
	Ithaca N.Y. 14850
	(607) 257-6800
Disclaimer: I have no connection with this company, other than having used their
equipment, and I may know someone who works there. (Small town...)

Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
Cornell Phonetics Lab   (plab!roger@cornell.uucp)
Ithaca  N.Y.            (sggy@cornellC)
(607) 255-0704		(sggy@vax5.ccs.cornell.edu)

byronl@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Byron Lunz) (04/18/89)

In article <10390@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.UUCP (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
Tektronix 1230 could be an alternative to a PC-based logic analyzer card)

>Not only is it more expensive, but it probably doesn't have half the
>features.  Does the Tektronix logic analyzer have
>
>	o A large, easy-to-read screen?

	  Large is relative, I guess.  No, it's not as large as a PC
	  display, but many analyzers including the 1230 have very easy
	  to read screens.  A dedicated screen also means that features
	  like faster horizontal scrolling or touch screen operation
	  can be added.

>	o A nice alpha keyboard?

 	  No, the 1230 does not, for this price.  Most low-cost logic
	  analyzers do not.  However, more sophisticated logic analyzers
	  like the DAS (Digital Analysis System) from Tek do have.
	  I agree it's quite nice, especially if you are debugging
	  primarily software.

>	o A mouse?

	  No. Some dedicated LAs do; the one that comes to mind is the
	  HP16500 - again, a higher-priced product.  I'm not too familiar
	  with all the various PC-based analyzers - do they work with
	  a mouse?

>	o A floppy disk drive to store acquired data?

	  Again, a nice feature. No, the 1230 doesn't have a built-in
	  disc drive.  However, it does have either RS-232 or GPIB
	  interfaces which allow it to be controlled by a PC or other
	  host.  This does allow you to use it with a PC, though not
	  IN a PC.

>	o The ability to generate plots that can be included directly
>	  in my word processing (e.g. the data sheet, I am writing)?

	  No, not presently.  That's a great idea though!  Mind if I
	  suggest it to our engineers?  Actually, it has come up before,
	  especially since you can do that with various Tek scopes.
	  The 1230 has only been on the market for one year, and we're
	  still adding support and new features, so we'll take this one
	  as a suggestion, OK?

>	o The ability to hook up a $150 printer to get hardcopy?

	  YES.  This one the 1230 does very well, though it requires
	  a $195 option.  Then you can simply connect any Epson-graphic
	  compatible printer and make screen copies or dump the stored
	  memories.

>There are tremendous advantages in basing products on a standard
>platform.  The manufactuer can take advantage of many of the standard
>features almost for free.

	Tim, this is really the heart of your argument, and you are
	correct.  For many users, PC-based "instruments"
	are an excellent answer.  However, solving problems with a
	logic analyzer often means setting up a trigger condition and
	waiting for something to happen.  On many of the PC-based
	analyzers this will tie up your entire PC waiting for that
	event.  Often, this is not acceptable.  In addition, some
	"instruments" don't lend themselves to being designed into
	the PC environment.  That is especially true of high-performance
	instruments.

	I hope you'll agree that no single answer is right for
	everybody.  All I wanted to point out is that the price/
	performance curve is affecting instruments as well as
	PCs and you can get a dedicated analyzer for a lot less than
	you might think.

	Now we'll _both_ get flamed for taking up net bandwidth :-) !

Byron Lunz
Tektronix Logic Analyzer Division

byronl@copper.MDP.TEK.COM

In article <10390@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.UUCP (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
>Not only is it more expensive, but it probably doesn't have half the
>features [of the PC-based one].  Does the Tektronix logic analyzer have
>
>	o A large, easy-to-read screen?
>
>	o A nice alpha keyboard?

Surely you are not speaking of PC screens and keyboards, which often
qualify for none of those adjectives!  (only half :-))

>There are tremendous advantages in basing products on a standard
>platform.  The manufactuer can take advantage of many of the standard
>features almost for free.

He also gets any standard defects for free, which is not a trivial issue.
Also, either the PC is dedicated to the product's function (in which case
it is overdesigned and possibly overpriced compared to a custom solution)
or it's shared with other functions, which can result in compromises.
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu