[sci.electronics] smart battery chargers etc.

In article <3109@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	I'm impressed...
>	This battery charger not only has a microprocessor, but also has an
>A/D converter to measure charging current and/or voltage...
>	Sounds like someone has designed a battery charger circuit to do
>things the right way.

Many kinds of hardware are getting smarter.  I was a bit startled when I
took my new shaver apart and discovered that it has an IC of some kind
inside it!  Probably some kind of power-control chip running switching
hardware -- the thing can be charged from 110 or 220 without any flipping
of switches, and it knows when its battery is getting low.
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu