[sci.electronics] Computer Control of Keyboard Operated Equipment

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (04/20/89)

In article <2461@bucsb.UUCP> cindi@bucsb.bu.edu (Doug Chan) writes:
>In article <972@itivax.iti.org> ajb@itivax.UUCP (Al Boehnlein) writes:
>>
>>1.  Are there any scanner boards that can plug into a pc that
>>could be programmed by the pc?  Could these be used to track
>>signals from police departments than change frequency?
>>
>     I don't know of any scanners that plug directly into the
>PC (nor would I want any to be able to do that... think of all
>the noise and interference generated by the computer!)
>     Anyway, there are radios (scanners and shortwave radio
>receivers) available that are able to connect to any RS-232/
>-Doug  (on a friend's account...)
>
>cindi@bucsb.bu.edu

        It is also simple to interface a keyboard controlled radio
        receiver (which may lack an RS232C port) to a PC via a parallel
        port.  I have successfully done this with a Sony ICF-2010 portable.
        This set is nearly totally key-press controlled.  Its keyboard circuitry
        operates on 3 VDC.  By employing surface-mount Analog Switches like
        the 4051, it is possible to construct a circuit which will fit
        completely within the radio's cabinet that will simulate the
        individual key-press of a 12 by 12 matrix of keys (the tricky part
        is the simulation of the simultaneous press of two keys).

        Using this circuit technique and a data-base program running on the
        PC, a program can be written to search the records for stations which
        match the search criteria in response to a query command, and "print"
        out a radio key-press command that will cause the selected stations to
        be tuned.

        The receiver has a scanner circuit which will scan those
        frequencies which have been programmed into its "pre-sets".  So,
        if a station broadcasts on several frequencies, they can be
        stored to the "pre-sets" and scanned until the best signal quality
        is found.  Of course, it is also possible to write a software
        scanner.

        In short, once you have the radio interfaced to a PC, you can
        write programs to control it in just about any way you wish.
        This technique is not only applicable to controlling radios, but
        virtually any keyboard operated device such as a TV, Micro Wave
        Oven, X10 System, VCR, Stereo System, or even another computer.

	Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (04/23/89)

In article <27982@conexch.UUCP> root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
>        It is also simple to interface a keyboard controlled radio
>        receiver (which may lack an RS232C port) to a PC via a parallel
>        port.  I have successfully done this with a Sony ICF-2010 portable.
Larry:

I am posting this because I don't have a clue how to respond to you in a
more direct manner.  However, I am running many experiments that require
IBM PC control of a typical home VCR.  I would greatly appreciate a few
more details about how to wire up the circuit you described.  A rough
schematic diagram showing how to wire the interface board and connect it
to the IBM PC parallel port would be most helpful.  My address is:

      Alexander-James Annala
      Psychology Department
      SGM-501
      Univ. of Southern Calif.
      Los Angeles, CA 90089-1061

      Telephone: (213)743-3278

Thanking you in advance for your kind assistance.

Thanks again, AJ Annala