[sci.electronics] ultrasonic mics/transducers

charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) (04/21/89)

I am looking for something to use as an ultrsonic microphone.
I have a little 25KHz ultrsonic transducer but it is resonant
at 25KHz and offers a very narrow bandwidth around 25.  I'd like
to have something with a broader response.  I tested a cheapie
condenser mic and it seems to work at 25K pretty well.  The
intended application is a tuneable untrasonic receiver of the
heterodyne/homodyne variety and hence the need for broad-bandedness.
Coverage up to 40KHz is desireable.

Charlie Thompson WB4HVD
Austin,TX

ben@val.UUCP (Ben Thornton) (04/25/89)

In article <1989@otis.oakhill.UUCP> charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) writes:
>I am looking for something to use as an ultrsonic microphone.
>I have a little 25KHz ultrsonic transducer but it is resonant
>at 25KHz and offers a very narrow bandwidth around 25.  I'd like
>to have something with a broader response.  I tested a cheapie
>condenser mic and it seems to work at 25K pretty well.  The
>intended application is a tuneable untrasonic receiver of the
>heterodyne/homodyne variety and hence the need for broad-bandedness.
>Coverage up to 40KHz is desireable.

  Hmmm... how about one of those cheap electret pellet microphones?
These are the kind that are built into small cassette tape recorders
and hand-picked ones are used as the element in a PZM.  They are
normally bandwidth-limited by the circuit they are used in, but I
think they will actually respond well into the ultrasonic range.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
--

Ben Thornton             packet:  WD5HLS @ KB5PM
Video Associates Labs      uucp:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!val!ben

martens@wasatch.utah.edu (William G Martens) (04/26/89)

In article <328@val.UUCP>, ben@val.UUCP (Ben Thornton) writes:

> >I am looking for something to use as an ultrsonic microphone.
> >I have a little 25KHz ultrsonic transducer but it is resonant
> >at 25KHz and offers a very narrow bandwidth around 25.  I'd like
> >to have something with a broader response.  I tested a cheapie

In a small 1977 edition of their 'Pressure Transducer Handbook' National Semi.
lists a pressure transducer recommended fr audio use, p/n LX1701G or LX1701A,
that they claim is good from dc to 50khz! I don't know if they are available
now, (12 years later)?

William Martens
UofUtah Comp Sci Dept.