[sci.electronics] Circuit Needed

jerryw@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Jerry Willard) (04/26/89)

I have a remote control TV I want to turn on with my clock radio.  My first
idea was to get the chip out of the remote controller and hard-wire it to
send a turn on pulse.  The problem is, the IC is no longer available.

What I need now is some way to read the code that comes out of the
controller and wire up a digital equivalent.   I've tried reading the code
with a photo diode and scope.  The code is quite complex.  Is there an easy
way to do this?

Jerry Willard,  Tektronix
jerryw@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM.UUCP

mcintyrd@cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) (04/27/89)

In article <2285@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM> jerryw@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Jerry Willard) writes:
>I have a remote control TV I want to turn on with my clock radio.  My first
>idea was to get the chip out of the remote controller and hard-wire it to
>send a turn on pulse.  The problem is, the IC is no longer available.
>
>What I need now is some way to read the code that comes out of the
>controller and wire up a digital equivalent.   I've tried reading the code
>with a photo diode and scope.  The code is quite complex.  Is there an easy
>way to do this?

There is a simple way to do this, but it is a little different than
the idea you had in hand.

What you need:
		1 X-10 appliance control ($12)
		1 X-10 clock-radio controller module ($35)

Plug the TV into the controller, plug into the wall.  Plug
clock into wall, set time, set alarm time.

You are all set!  With no messy remote control things!

				-Dave

Dave "mr question" McIntyre     |      "....say you're thinking about a plate
mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu      |       of shrimp.....and someone says to
office : 518-276-8633		|	you `plate,' or `shrimp'......"
home   : 518-271-6664		|