[sci.electronics] Timer Ckt - 2 hrs

taizoon@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Chinwalla) (04/24/89)

Does anyone have a ckt or recommendation for a chip(s)
that is inexpensive and can produce a timing of 120 minutes +- 10 %

Taizoon Chinwalla
!att!ihlpf!taizoon

AT&T Bell Labs

rpw3@amdcad.AMD.COM (Rob Warnock) (04/25/89)

In article <8331@ihlpf.ATT.COM> taizoon@ihlpf.UUCP (Chinwalla,T.) writes:
+---------------
| Does anyone have a ckt or recommendation for a chip(s)
| that is inexpensive and can produce a timing of 120 minutes +- 10 %
+---------------

I would use a 14-stage CMOS counter chip (4027? 4040? sorry, I forget),
driven by your favorite 2 Hz oscillator.  It's cheap, and if you feed it
2.27 Hz, the topmost bit will tick over every two hours.

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

dmt@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (04/27/89)

In article <25392@amdcad.AMD.COM> rpw3@amdcad.UUCP (Rob Warnock) writes:
|In article <8331@ihlpf.ATT.COM> taizoon@ihlpf.UUCP (Chinwalla,T.) writes:
|| Does anyone have a ckt or recommendation for a chip(s)
|| that is inexpensive and can produce a timing of 120 minutes +- 10 %
|
|I would use a 14-stage CMOS counter chip (4027? 4040? sorry, I forget),
|driven by your favorite 2 Hz oscillator.  It's cheap, and if you feed it
|2.27 Hz, the topmost bit will tick over every two hours.

I don't know how the circuit will be used but this seems to be overkill.

A simple 555 timer seems like it would be sufficient for this.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!dmt

psfales@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (04/27/89)

In article <4783@ptsfa.PacBell.COM>, dmt@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) writes:
> In article <25392@amdcad.AMD.COM> rpw3@amdcad.UUCP (Rob Warnock) writes:
> |In article <8331@ihlpf.ATT.COM> taizoon@ihlpf.UUCP (Chinwalla,T.) writes:
> || Does anyone have a ckt or recommendation for a chip(s)
> || that is inexpensive and can produce a timing of 120 minutes +- 10 %
> |
> |I would use a 14-stage CMOS counter chip (4027? 4040? sorry, I forget),
> |driven by your favorite 2 Hz oscillator.  It's cheap, and if you feed it
> |2.27 Hz, the topmost bit will tick over every two hours.
>
> I don't know how the circuit will be used but this seems to be overkill.
>
> A simple 555 timer seems like it would be sufficient for this.

555 circuits run into some problems when used for long timing periods
like this.  Large, low-leakage capacitors are required, and small
temperature drifts can result in a large change in the time constant.

I remember reading that someone (Exar?) has integrated a 555 and a multistage
counter on a single chip for exactly this application.  As I recall, they
could get timing periods of DAYS with inexepensive components.

Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-414
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.
UUCP:	...att!ihlpb!psfales	Naperville, IL 60566
Domain: psfales@ihlpb.att.com	work:	(312) 979-8031

tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) (04/28/89)

Why not try a XR2240 long range timer?

It uses digital counting to generate long but accurate delays.

--------------------------\ /------------------------------------------
INTERNET:tindle@ms.uky.edu | "I heard you." -Kirk
BITNET:tindle@ukma.bitnet  | "He simply could not believe his ears."
Ken Tindle - Lexington, KY | -Spock, The Trouble With Tribbles
--------------------------/ \------------------------------------------

smadi@rlgvax.UUCP (Smadi Paradise) (04/29/89)

Motorola has a CMOS chip which contains an oscillator, a programmable
devider along with some smart reset and output logic. It may be numbered
MC14536 (my CMOS data book is 5k miles away :-().
--
On (a guest of uunet!rlgvax!smadi) Paradise

spcecdt@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Space Cadet) (04/30/89)

      The 14-stage CMOS counter is the 4020.  But, if you want a timer,
use the 4060 instead.  It is a 14 stage counter too, but includes a dual-
inverter oscillator on the chip.  A couple of resistors and a capacitor
are all that you'd need with the IC for your 2-hour counter.  One of my
favorite chips... :-)

	John DuBois
	spcecdt@ucscb.ucsc.edu
	...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!spcecdt