[sci.electronics] real inductors

dad@cs.brown.edu (David A. Durfee) (05/01/89)

I have inherited a circuit which uses an inductor.  Its a
dc voltage converter and the inductor is switched across
5v by a FET so that a higer voltage can be generated across
the inductor.  The inductor catalog shows a maximum DC
current for the part.  Here are my questions (since I don't
know anything about inductors):

1. I'm driving this thing with a square wave and don't see
any current rating for AC.  Should I simply take the average
current and compare that to the max DC rating?

2.What happens when you overdrive an inductor?
I mean regarding modeling its behavior.  Does its resistance
go up and its inductance go down?

3. MOST IMPORTANT- How will the part degrade over time if
operated beyond its rating?  Will it heat up and break down
its insulation?  Will its inductance value change over time?

(part is 100uH with a Idc Max of 160mA)

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (05/02/89)

>1. I'm driving this thing with a square wave and don't see
>any current rating for AC.  Should I simply take the average
>current and compare that to the max DC rating?

Use the RMS ("root-mean-square", also known as "effective") current; this
is 0.707 the peak current for a sine wave, or 0.5 times the peak for a
50%-duty-cycle square wave.

>2.What happens when you overdrive an inductor?
>I mean regarding modeling its behavior.  Does its resistance
>go up and its inductance go down?

By "overdrive", I assume that you mean "run excess current through the
inductor".  If this is the case, there are two things that can happen:

1. The inductor will saturate.  The value you give is fairly low (100 uH), so
   I assume this is an air-core inductor.  If so, saturation shouldn't be
   a problem.  For future reference, though, remember that iron or ferrite
   cores can saturate if you run excessive current.  This means that the
   material has as much of a magnetic field in it as it will allow; further
   increases in current do not result in additional energy being stored in
   the magnetic field, and so the device is no longer inductive.  This means
   that a saturated inductor is essentially a short circuit (no inductive
   reactance), except for what little DC resistance is present.  This
   effect can quickly cause the failure of parts in the circuit.  By the way
   when looking into the possibility of saturation, consider the PEAK current
   to be handled (not the RMS); an inductor which saturates only at the
   peaks still isn't doing the job (unless it's in one of those rare designs
   where it's SUPPOSED to saturate - assume otherwise unless you have
   good reason for believing it's supposed to saturate!)

2. The part will overheat.  This is the more likely problem with the little
   air-core inductors, and can result in the failure of the part (the
   "inductor" becomes a "fuse").  In most materials, the resistance does
   increase as the temperature goes up, but if you're running into a
   problem due to this effect, you're probably very close to the "meltdown"
   stage!

>3. MOST IMPORTANT- How will the part degrade over time if
>operated beyond its rating?  Will it heat up and break down
>its insulation?  Will its inductance value change over time?

The inductance is not likely to change to any significant degree over time
with this type of inductor.  However, the insulation is likely to break
down, etc., if run too hot for extended periods.  The general advice as far
as running any component beyond (or even near) its ratings is DON'T!

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
{the known universe}!hplabs!hpfcla!myers |  sentient life-form on this planet.

(part is 100uH with a Idc Max of 160mA)
----------

jeffw@midas.STS.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (05/06/89)

In article <5290@brunix.UUCP> dad@cs.brown.edu (David A. Durfee) writes:
>I have inherited a circuit which uses an inductor...
>1. I'm driving this thing with a square wave and don't see
>any current rating for AC.  Should I simply take the average
>current and compare that to the max DC rating?

There are two maximum currents of interest. One is the maximum peak
current, which is where the inductor saturates unacceptably (begins to
lose too much inductance to be useful). The other is the maximum RMS current,
which is how much you can put through it before the windings heat up too
much. Exceeding either one makes it a lot easier to exceed the other. But
wait, there's more...

>2.What happens when you overdrive an inductor?

If it has a ferro/ferrimagnetic core, as yours undoubtedly does, it
saturates (at the current peaks), and the current (both peak and RMS)
through it rapidly increases as long as the voltage across it is maintained.
In your circuit, the nice ramp current waveform begins to grow ugly fins
at its high points.

>I mean regarding modeling its behavior.  Does its resistance
>go up and its inductance go down?

The inductance goes down. The resistance will go up if the inductor heats up,
due to the tempco of the winding. If you heat the thing up enough, the core
material will get over its Curie point and then you may as well consider it
an air-core inductor, for any current.

>3. MOST IMPORTANT- How will the part degrade over time if
>operated beyond its rating?  Will it heat up and break down
>its insulation?  Will its inductance value change over time?

I don't know if the inductance value will change significantly over time -
but if its temperature when you operate it is pretty close to its
temperature under normal maximum conditions, ie if you are lucky, you
shouldn't have much to worry about. Better compare the FET's temperature, too.

The average current through the inductor is not very informative when it has
a large AC component compared to its DC component. RMS and peak is what you
need to know.

							Jeff Winslow