[sci.electronics] Using "Free" telephone power

gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) (04/28/89)

This is in response to the person who was talking about lighting an LED from
the 50 VDC phone line voltage as an indicator for hook status:

That's the easy project!  But, how 'bout making a circuit that will light an
LED when the line voltage DROPS (ie. the phone goes off hook).  I tried it
once, and got it to work moderately well.   I used a combination of voltage
dividers to keep a transistor off if the voltage is 50 or so.  Worked alright
until the phone rang... the circuit answered the phone!  Got a little
annoying.

I'm still amazed at how phones run entirely off the phone line power.  They
have lit dials, and audio amplifiers... and I had trouble lighting an LED!
(trouble means the phone company equipment gets loaded down enough that it
shuts off your line for a while!).

Can anybody offer insite on the secrets of running audio amps and chips off
the meagre phone line power?  How 'bout the ammount of current the phone line
can source?

    Greg Bell_________________________________________________________
      Hardware hacker          |
      Electronics hobbyist     | UUCP:  uunet!serene!pnet12!gbell
      EE major at UC San Diego |

In article <636@serene.UUCP>, gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) writes:
> This is in response to the person who was talking about lighting an LED from
> the 50 VDC phone line voltage as an indicator for hook status:
>
> That's the easy project!  But, how 'bout making a circuit that will light an
> LED when the line voltage DROPS (ie. the phone goes off hook).  I tried it
> once, and got it to work moderately well.   I used a combination of voltage
> dividers to keep a transistor off if the voltage is 50 or so.  Worked alright
> until the phone rang... the circuit answered the phone!  Got a little
> annoying.

	No kidding! :-)  That's what I'm been trying to tell sci.electronics
readers for quite some time.

> I'm still amazed at how phones run entirely off the phone line power.  They
> have lit dials, and audio amplifiers... and I had trouble lighting an LED!
> (trouble means the phone company equipment gets loaded down enough that it
> shuts off your line for a while!).
>
> Can anybody offer insite on the secrets of running audio amps and chips off
> the meagre phone line power?  How 'bout the ammount of current the phone line
> can source?

	Again, here are some assorted comments about telephone loop voltages
and currents:

1.	The on-hook (i.e., idle) voltage of the vast majority of central
	office telephone loops ranges between 48 to 52 volts, with 50 volts
	being a pretty typical value.  However, this is NOT ALWAYS the
	case, since on-hook voltages of lines supplied from various
	subscriber line concentrators, subscriber line carrier apparatus
	and subscriber lines on long loops with loop extenders can vary
	from a low of 6 volts (that's right, 6 volts using Continental
	FDM AML subscriber line carrier) to a high of 96 volts (using
	Cook Electric or equivalent loop extenders).  A few electronic
	PABX's may have 24 volts instead of 48.

	There are two morals to the above:

	(a) Only a 500-type telephone set with passive network will work
	    on all telephone loops at all times; anything else will fail
	    under some circumstances.

	(b) If in doubt, measure the on-hook voltage of the telephone loop.

2.	In general, good telephone circuit design practice dictates that
	no less than 100,000 ohms should be bridged across a telephone
	line in an on-hook state.  That means you can draw a maximum of
	0.5 milliampere of current with _assurance_ of not causing trouble
	with your telephone and not causing telephone company automatic
	line insulation test (ALIT) apparatus to print false trouble
	reports.

	0.5 mA is, by the way, sufficient current to keep a well-designed
	reperatory dialer memory or clock circuit alive.

3.	In general, good telephone circuit design practice dictates that
	no current path to ground should ever exist between tip and/or ring
	of the telephone loop and ground.  From a practical standpoint,
	a value of at least 100,000 ohms leakage resistance can be used.

	The only exception to the above is equipment for use on ground-start
	PBX loops and for test purposes.

	An additional exception to the above involves party line circuits,
	but most telephone company tariffs prohibit the use of ANY apparatus
	on a party line circuit that is not directly obtained from the
	operating telephone company.

4.	From a practical standpoint, bridging less than 20,000 ohms across
	a telephone line (i.e., a current flow of more than 2.5 mA) in an
	on-hook state is an immediate invitation to trouble, especially with
	respect to false ring-tripping as described in the referenced
	article.

5.	In the off-hook state power to operate amplifiers and other circuit
	elements may be obtained from the voltage drop across a series
	resistor (i.e., in series with the talk circuit).  From a practical
	standpoint, any such series resistance must be limited such that
	no less than 30 mA of loop current flows in an off-hook state.
	Taking an example value of a 250 ohm resistor on a 30 mA loop, we
	have 7.5 volts available with a DC power of 225 mW.  225 mW is
	actually a decent amount of energy to play with (in this day and
	age of CMOS circuits) - but you will ONLY have it available when
	the telephone is off-hook.

	If you attempt to obtain a larger voltage drop through a higher
	series resistor, such that the off-hook loop current drops below
	30 mA you run the risk of: (a) having the central office apparatus
	fail to detect an off-hook condition; (b) being unable to trip
	ringing; (c) being unable to send rotary dial pulsing signals to
	the central office; and (d) having insufficent current available
	to operate telephone set DTMF dialing and talk circuits.

6.	The "series resistor" described in (5) above may be effectively
	replaced with solid-state circuit elements, such as a constant
	current regulator set for a minimum of 30 mA.

7.	Any series element for the purpose of obtaining DC power as described
	above should be bridged with a non-polarized capacitor to minimize
	the voice-frequency insertion loss of such element.

	It should be obvious from the above guidelines that any BRIDGED
connection of an LED will draw excessive on-hook current, but that a series
connection (i.e., "in use" indicator) is okay.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231, 716/773-1700        {att|hplabs|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635, 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (05/01/89)

In article <636@serene.UUCP>, gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) writes:

> I'm still amazed at how phones run entirely off the phone line power.  They
> have lit dials, and audio amplifiers... and I had trouble lighting an LED!

They don't , If you dig around in your installation, you'll probably find
a plug in the wall transformer to run the incandescent dial lights.

Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz@ssc.uucp
                            uunet!amc!
                      uw-beaver!tikal!

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (05/02/89)

In article <636@serene.UUCP> gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) writes:

>I'm still amazed at how phones run entirely off the phone line power.  They
>have lit dials, and audio amplifiers... and I had trouble lighting an LED!
>(trouble means the phone company equipment gets loaded down enough that it
>shuts off your line for a while!).

I don't know how it is now, but the old Princess and other Bell System
phones had dials with incandescent bulbs, whcih were powered off AC by
a small wall transformer.  The power was carried throughout the house
phone wiring on the yellow/black pair (red/green reserved for signal).

However, my phone dialer IS powered by the phone line, but no light.

--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (05/02/89)

In article <636@serene.UUCP> gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) writes:

>I'm still amazed at how phones run entirely off the phone line power.  They
>have lit dials, and audio amplifiers... and I had trouble lighting an LED!
>(trouble means the phone company equipment gets loaded down enough that it
>shuts off your line for a while!).

An off-hook telephone is *required* to draw a minimum amount of
current.  I believe that it is permitted to draw about 20 milliamps
from the line in an *off-hook* condition.  The Central Office's
switching equipment takes current draw above a certain limit as an
indication of an off-hook condition.  If you were trying to light that
LED with the phone on-hook, you were actually taking the line
off-hook.  After 15 seconds or so, the dial tone generator would time
out and you would have an open line.

Please note that the (Western Electric) telephones (e. g. "Princess")
with lighted dials are supplied 6 VAC by a small line transformer
which is typically connected to the black and yellow "unused" wires in
the phone jack.  Multi-line phones are a whole 'nother ballgame, with
a closet full of electronics and power supplies to support them.

>Can anybody offer insite on the secrets of running audio amps and chips off
>the meagre phone line power?  How 'bout the ammount of current the phone line
>can source?

I've used line-powered modems.  They use all CMOS parts to keep
current consumption down, and as I said, since an off-hook device is
required to draw a certain amount of current, why not use it to power
the modem?  Don't expect to be able to use phone line current and keep
the circuit on-hook, however.  Even if you could, you would have to
cope with the possibility of an incoming ring signal, which is
typically 60-90 VAC!  (Yes, Virginia, you can ring a phone with house
current.)

Longish .signature follows.  Skip now, or don't complain.

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352
(408) 437-5198			GEnie:  G.WAGEMAN
------------------
"Live Free; Die Anyway."
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (05/02/89)

In article <636@serene.UUCP>, gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) writes:
" I'm still amazed at how phones run entirely off the phone line power.
" Can anybody offer insite on the secrets of running audio amps and chips off
" the meagre phone line power?  How 'bout the ammount of current the phone line
" can source?

You'd probably get lots of info on stuff like that by posting to
comp.dcom.telecom if you can. They discuss all kinds of telephone things
there.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

zantow@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Al Zantow) (05/02/89)

In article <636@serene.UUCP> gbell@pnet12.cts.com (Greg Bell) writes:

>This is in response to the person who was talking about lighting an LED from
>the 50 VDC phone line voltage as an indicator for hook status:
>

>I'm still amazed at how phones run entirely off the phone line power.  They
>have lit dials, and audio amplifiers... and I had trouble lighting an LED!
>(trouble means the phone company equipment gets loaded down enough that it
>shuts off your line for a while!).
>
>Can anybody offer insite on the secrets of running audio amps and chips off
>the meagre phone line power?  How 'bout the ammount of current the phone line
>can source?

	There are some problems with trying to use phone power to monitior
the phone line.  The phone company equipment "watches" the current in you
phone line, and if it goes above a few mA's it assumes you are off hook and
want dial tone.  When you realy are off hook the current in the line is limited
to about 50 mA's.  This is partly for your protection so you don't cook
if you get across the phone line, but mostly since bipolar transistors are
current operated devices.  A "regulated" current makes them happier than a
regulated voltage source, which allowed the earlier touch tone phones to be
more stable.

	The dial lights and such are probably powered by the yellow and black
wires that have about 12 VAC on then from a transformer wired into your
house (or aprtment) AC system.  This is so the phone company does not need
to provide all the power for the "goodies", just for the actual phone circuits.
The red and green wires are the ones that have the connection to the phone
company, and normaly are not dependent on comercial AC power to work.  This
is so that you can use the phone after power is knocked out to yell at the
electric company for being such clods and letting the lights go out ;-)

	Not all houses have the "extra" AC power circuit wired up, you can
always check this with a meter though.  The power availabe from the
seconday AC is abount a few hundred mA's, so you can power just about
anything from it.

"tell me, tell me about Subscriber Trunk Dialing !!!" from Time Bandits

(the Devil was asking one of his minions for really EVIL technology like
fast breeder reactors, comercial television, ect)

In article <920@snjsn1.SJ.ATE.SLB.COM>, greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) writes:
> >Can anybody offer insite on the secrets of running audio amps and chips off
> >the meagre phone line power?  How 'bout the ammount of current the phone line
> >can source?
>
> I've used line-powered modems.  They use all CMOS parts to keep
> current consumption down, and as I said, since an off-hook device is
> required to draw a certain amount of current, why not use it to power
> the modem?

	Interestingly enough, the Western Electric 113-type data set in
its "plain vanilla" form was totally telephone-line powered.  This is
a 300 baud originate-only modem which was developed around 1970.  It
used NO IC's whatsoever, and employed discrete germanium and silicon
transistors.  I always thought it was a pretty clever design, but also
sort of silly to go to all that trouble for a box twice the size of
a 500-type telephone set that was ALWAYS used where AC line power was
available.  Musta been someone's pet project at Bell Labs... :-)

> Even if you could, you would have to
> cope with the possibility of an incoming ring signal, which is
> typically 60-90 VAC!  (Yes, Virginia, you can ring a phone with house
> current.)

	Sorry, but you canNOT ring a phone with "house current".  Virtually
all conventional telephone ringers are frequency selective, and operate only
between 16 and 32 Hz; 60 Hz won't cut it.  Some ringers used on older
party line systems (like the "harmonic", "decimonic" and "synchronic") were
_very_ freqeuncy selective, with a "bandpass" of 5 Hz or less.

In article <1325@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US>, zantow@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Al Zantow) writes:
> 	There are some problems with trying to use phone power to monitor
> the phone line.  The phone company equipment "watches" the current in you
> phone line, and if it goes above a few mA's it assumes you are off hook and
> want dial tone.

	The minimum off-hook threshhold current ranges between 10 and 20
milliamperes, depending upon the type of central office apparatus.

> When you realy are off hook the current in the line is limited
> to about 50 mA's.

	I don't know about AT&T #5ESS, Northern Telcom DMS-series or
other current production electronic central office apparatus, but older
ESS and electromechanical central office apparatus had no active current
limiting whatsoever.

	Current limiting was achieved by a combination of a 200 ohm
resistance on the ring lead to central office battery, and a 200 ohm
resistance on the tip lead to central office ground.  Assuming a 50 volt
office battery, the maximum short circuit current in the central office
at the distributing frame is 125 mA.  Loop resistance of outside cable
plant further reduced this 125 mA to lower levels; however, if you
were close to the CO, you could easily get 100 mA of short-circuit
current across the telephone loop.

> This is partly for your protection so you don't cook
> if you get across the phone line, but mostly since bipolar transistors are
> current operated devices.  A "regulated" current makes them happier than a
> regulated voltage source, which allowed the earlier touch tone phones to be
> more stable.

	This is simply not true; the central office apparatus regulated
absolutely nothing.  Earlier touch-tone telephone sets used a _single_
germanium transistor to generate the DTMF tones.  This tone generator was
an _extremely_ clever design which would oscillate under virtually ANY
condition (provided the tip/ring polarity was correct; later telephone sets
were equipped with bridge rectifiers called "polarity guards" by WECO to
solve this problem).

> 	The dial lights and such are probably powered by the yellow and black
> wires that have about 12 VAC on then from a transformer wired into your
> house (or aprtment) AC system.

	The voltage is actually 6 to 8 volts AC for WECO sets using a
2012A transformer.

	Interestingly enough, in the early 1970's GTE/Automatic Electric
manufactured a "Trimline" lookalike telephone called "Styaline" which had a
dial illuminated by an electroluminescent (EL) panel.  The EL panel was