[sci.electronics] Anybody know what this is??

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (04/25/89)

A friend gave me a junked 19" rack mount box that contains 3
or 4 boards populated with lots of Motorola CMOS ic's (dual
4-bit latches, decoders, counters, bit-rate generator, etc.)
and relays.  One of the boards seems to contain the controller
that selects or switches among data paths or channels.  I
think that I can identify almost everything in the box except
the processor chip on the controller card and some TI 16-pin
chips marked ULN2003AN.  Can anybody help here??  Are these
transistor arrays??  The controller (CPU?) is marked TR 1402-A,
is a 40 pin ceramic DIP, and is stamped with what looks like
an integral symbol through an "oh" :
                     _
                    /
                  /
                 -   (hard to draw with these things!)
Oh, and there's an HP 8-pin chip marked 2601 and then 830
xx below it where xx looks like a UR run together and reversed
(mirror image).

Anyone care to speculate about the function of the chips/box??

        roger         rzh%freedom.llnl.gov@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
                      ucbvax!lll-lcc!freedom!rzh
    Upstairs, Over a Vacant Lot, Inc.

mj@elmgate.UUCP (Mark Johnson OPER) (04/26/89)

	I'm posting a followup because I can't find a Use(less)net
	address for lll-llc.UUCP.  Hit 'n' unless you wondered
	about the 2003's also.

In article <2444@lll-lcc.UUCP>, rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:
> the processor chip on the controller card and some TI 16-pin
> chips marked ULN2003AN.  Can anybody help here??  Are these
> transistor arrays??

	That's right.  I *think* they're open collector - I'm pretty
	sure I have some data sheets on these things at home; send
	me an address via email if you want copies.
	Can't help with the other chips.
Mark A Johnson                                 Eastman Kodak Company - SISD
UUCP: rochester!kodak!elmgate!mj  USPS: 222 Norman Road, Rochester NY 14623
WORK: (716) 726-7035
"Quidquid latine scriptum, altum videtur."

mjr@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Mark Reed) (04/27/89)

 ULN2003A is, according to my Sprague handbook, a 7-channel 50 V, 500 mA output
 Darlington driver.  Pins 1-7 are the inputs, 16-10 the corresponding outputs,
 7 is ground, and 9 is a common - each output has a diode "pointing toward"
 common.  No doubt nice for bypassing kickback from inductive loads.

 The 1402 may be an RCA CMOS micro.  (?)

fwb@demon.siemens.com (Frederic W. Brehm) (04/29/89)

In article <3340003@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> mjr@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Mark Reed) writes:
> The 1402 may be an RCA CMOS micro.  (?)

No, the RCA micro is 1802 (a.k.a. COSMAC).  I don't know what a 1402 is,
though.

cook@stout.ucar.edu (Forrest Cook) (05/03/89)

>In article <3340003@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> mjr@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Mark Reed) writes:
>> The 1402 may be an RCA CMOS micro.  (?)
>No, the RCA micro is 1802 (a.k.a. COSMAC).  I don't know what a 1402 is,

I think the 1402 is one of those old fashioned UART chips.
(Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter)  They are (were) typically used
to implement RS-232 async serial to parallel conversion.

 ^   ^  Forrest Cook - Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers - LB
/|\ /|\ cook@stout.ucar.edu (The preceeding was all my OPINION)
/|\ /|\ {husc6|rutgers|ames|gatech}!ncar!stout!cook
/|\ /|\ {uunet|ucbvax|allegra|cbosgd}!nbires!ncar!stout!cook

pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) (05/07/89)

In article <3128@ncar.ucar.edu> cook@stout.UCAR.EDU (Forrest Cook) writes:
>>In article <3340003@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> mjr@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Mark Reed) writes:
>>> The 1402 may be an RCA CMOS micro.  (?)
>>No, the RCA micro is 1802 (a.k.a. COSMAC).  I don't know what a 1402 is,
>
>I think the 1402 is one of those old fashioned UART chips.
>(Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter)  They are (were) typically used
>to implement RS-232 async serial to parallel conversion.

Probably you are thinking of the TR1602 UART, made by Western Digital. I did
not see the original question (I haven't been able to keep up with the net),
but I looked in an old IC Master, it lists a 1402A dynamic shift register
(256 bits by 4 registers) made by AMD, Intel, Synertek. I have a data sheet
in a 1978 Synertek catalog. (of course I don't have any idea if this is the
answer, since I don't know what the question was :-))

By the way, are there any other 1802 hackers out there? The 1802 was my
Idea of the perfect computer, I even built a couple. The power supply was
4 size 'D' NiCd batteries, with a trickle charger at home. I didn't have
to go home too often though, It could go a week or two between charges.

--
Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)                  OnTyme:NSC.P/Nelson
Tymnet, McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Company       Voice:408-922-7508