[sci.electronics] Superconductors and Interconnections

berryh@udel.EDU (John Berryhill) (05/10/89)

In article <13633@ncoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>Also, RT superconductors would make possible smaller and faster electronic
>components. Note that in this case, power isn't the question; the power
>losses in non-superconducting media show up as noise which affects nearby
>components when those components get close enough together... as, for
>example, on a densely packed silicon ship.  Since closeness of components
>affects speed (the closer together they are, the faster they run), anything
>which reduces the noise-causing losses makes possible enormously faster
>components.

I fail to see how superconductors would be immune to capacitive coupling
at small geometries.  I further fail to see how the RC constant of a
given interconnection will decrease. The output resistance of the device
*driving* the interconnection will still be finite (and greater than
the wire resistance).

Could someone please enlighten me?

							       John Berryhill
					   143 King William  Newark, DE 19711