[sci.electronics] cross parts

spankey@merlin.unm.edu (His Spanknesss) (05/04/89)

I am looking for software for crossing transistors,chips and diodes

to any brand.I would like it to run on my ultrix or unix oper.sys.

I know there is a Motarola floppy for a PC but it just defines

their paramaters to look up their parts only ,not a cross from

another brand.

Maby an ECG ,RCA,National SlimeConductor,TI,MotorHole-a or any major

brand.

Does anyone know if I.C.Master has software for this type of ref.

pleeeeze mail or call SPANKEY at 505-277-4409

thanks

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (05/09/89)

Regarding the call for a software based parts cross reference;

I hail any company that DARES to come out with one. I'd pay some good bucks
for it even (and if you know me..I'ma  *GENUINE SCROOGE*).
I was glad to see Motorolla come out with their data disk and in fact I have
personally talked with the lady in charge of the project and with the
programmerer (an independant company employee) to make some changes and
enhancements which I was told we'd be seeing when they distribute their
Linear IC and Digital IC data disk(s).
WHat I'm getting to is that I called this guy and told him he should contact
some of the "generic" cross match manufacturers and coax them into
buying a program that will do what they did to motorollas parts for their
own.
He seemed open to the idea and was going to call SAMS PHOTOFACT (their
general replacement guide is reasonably generic) ...
I made an initiative and called the Weenie-in-charge at ECG.
I dont say WEENIE lightly. This guy thought it an insult that I'd *DARE*
suggest the mere idea. "There'll be nothing like that as long as I am in
charge"
Perhaps we're looking at some MAJOR protectionsim here. I think also they
reap some major profits from the sale of their cross indexs to suplliers and
gullible techs who actually *pay* for them.
("Pay for it? I work for ********* -> insert company name here .."and we do
soooo much business with you guys..whaddya mean PAY FOR IT????"   ;-)  )

At any rate, yes it would be *very* lovely to get a disk library and a
database capable of cross matching and indexing parts with type, rating, use
and parametric finds....but that would be too  wonderful nice and make it oh so too
easy .......we'll stay with the paper chase method until some bright, daring
and quite ingenious programmer has the balls to write such a beastie.
Until then, may the protectionsit slime get crushed while walking past my
parts library as it falls on them.
I hope someone drops 3 years worth of I.C. masters on their heads from a 5
 story building etc etc etc etc etc....

	-In hell

= Mike Carter  N7GYX, Phoenix AZ| Q: Why did the Chicken cross the road  ?  =
= hplabs!hp-sdd!crash!xroads!wiz| A: To ESCape the Main Menu .              =

hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (05/09/89)

In article <688@xroads.UUCP> wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) writes:

>Regarding the call for a software based parts cross reference;

>I was glad to see Motorolla come out with their data disk and in fact I have
>personally talked with the lady in charge of the project and with the
>programmerer (an independant company employee) to make some changes and
>enhancements which I was told we'd be seeing when they distribute their
>Linear IC and Digital IC data disk(s).

Does Motorola make this data available on any of their BBS's?
Is it copyrighted?
If not, could it me made available somewhere on the Internet
for anonymous FTP?

Failing all that, how does one get a copy of the disk(s)?

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (05/11/89)

Herb Poppe Writes;
>DOes Motorolla make this data available on any of their BBS's?
Is it copyrighted?
If not,could it <be> made available somewhere on the Internet
for anonymous FTP?

I asked them about a similiar purpose. Yes, it can be shared and dristributed
freely. You can send off for a free copy with $2.00 and a S.A.S.E or call
them and sweet talk them into sending you a copy of their Data DIsk for
Discrete devices. I'm going to call sometime by the end of this week to find
out if they have finished the Linear and Digital I.C> Data disks yet.
If you are unable to get a copy by either method above, I'll have my
sysadmin put up an archived copy I have of it somewhere.
(By the way..it FILLS one DSDD 360K floppy UNARCHIVED. You REALLY need a
hard-disk to unarc it and then it will go through another unpacking by
itself....)