[sci.electronics] Need frequency information for microwave transmitter

miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) (05/09/89)

I'm seeking microwave transmitters of certain frequencies and need some
assistance.  I recently purchased a Sears garage door opener transmitter
(Model 53708) which I assumed would have the frequencies I need.
Unfortunately, it appears to be frequency-adjustable, with no indication of
what the possible frequencies are.

The chip used is a TI TX8835 N 96856.  It is connected to a 9-dipswitch unit
with 3 positions per switch.  I'm assuming that this allows certain pins on the
chip to be placed high, low, or neutral.  As there are thousands of possible
combinations, I have no way of finding out what the possible frequencies for
this chip may be.

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could e-mail me some information about
this chip; specifically, what frequencies it can produce and how certain pins
need to be tied to achieve them.  Many moons ago I had access to chip specs
manuals that would give me this information, but, alas, no more.

Please e-mail rather than post.  Many thanks in advance.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (05/10/89)

In article <5847@brspyr1.BRS.Com> miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) writes:

>The chip used is a TI TX8835 N 96856.  It is connected to a 9-dipswitch unit
>with 3 positions per switch.  I'm assuming that this allows certain pins on the
>chip to be placed high, low, or neutral.  As there are thousands of possible
>combinations, I have no way of finding out what the possible frequencies for
>this chip may be.

This is admittedly just a guess, but is based on knowledge of my own
garage-door transmitter.  The dipswitches probably don't alter the
frequency at all, but control some sort of code modulated onto the
carrier.  This is supposed to provide greater security and prevent a
would-be-thief from simply driving up to your house and blasting
selected frequencies at your garage until the door opens, or simply
carrying a number of common door-opener transmitters and trying them
until one works (don't laugh, it happens).  The number of possible
codes in my case is 2^10 (1024), since there are 10 dipswitches.

The frequency is most likely determined by a crystal oscillator.
There's probably a tuning coil with a powdered-iron slug for tweaking
it, although not all designs have this.  Some only have fixed
inductors and a small trimmer capacitor for matching with the printed
circuit loop "antenna".

Longish .signature follows.  Skip now, or don't complain.

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352
(408) 437-5198			GEnie:  G.WAGEMAN
------------------
"Live Free; Die Anyway."
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (05/10/89)

Regarding the garage door opener question:

I highly doubt that the dip switches CHANGE the FREQUENCY.
They, as with 99.9% of the rest of automation products, change the pulse
count or CODE sent to the receiver. The receiver is SET at a FCC approved
frequency. Normally a company receives 1, maybe 2 frequencies to run their
production on with garage door openers.
It is then up to engineering to develope a smei-fool proof (hah hah ;-)
way of discerning the owner from the guys next door.
If you change the dip switches, you are changing the code sent via the
oscillator to the receiver. You must then change the code at the receiver
to match what your transmitter is set for.

If they indeed DID change frequency, 9 dip switches would enable you to
go almost anywhere within the spectrum.
Like I said...I doubt it.

The FCC wouldnt approve.

Enjoy!

	-Mike
= Mike Carter  N7GYX, Phoenix AZ| Q: Why did the Chicken cross the road  ?  =
= hplabs!hp-sdd!crash!xroads!wiz| A: To ESCape the Main Menu .              =

parnass@ihuxz.ATT.COM (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (05/11/89)

garage door opener, Heath, believed to made by Linear Electronics, pcm
                       [GDP3309-A]_________  310.0000____-         (magazines)
garage door opener, Linear Electronics, used with Raynor openers, pcm
                       [DT]________________  310.0440____ch A      (B. Parnass)
garage door opener, Sears, made by Chamberlain, pcm
                       [139.664030]________  389.3000____-         (others)
Bob Parnass AJ9S,  AT&T Bell Laboratories  -  att!ihuxz!parnass - (312)979-5414