[sci.electronics] CAD/CAM/CAE newsgroup proposal

abair@oakhill.UUCP (Alan Bair) (04/22/89)

In article <10542@rama.UUCP> news@rama.UUCP (Usenet News Admin) writes:
>There seems to be no newsgroups devoted to (or even oriented
>towards electronic design automation issues like printed circuit
>board design, schematic capture, circuit simulation programs,
>etc.  The closest is comp.lsi.cad, which is IC-design specific,
>leaving PCB and hybrid folks out in the cold.
>
>Here's some suggestions to get the ball rolling:
>comp.cad or comp.cadcam - General discussion concerning CAD/CAM/CAE
>comp.cad.pcb - Printed Circuit Board design
>comp.cad.hybrid - Hybrid circuit design

If this idea stirs any interest, how about bringing the current group into
the same newsgroup tree. Change comp.lsi.cad into comp.cad.lsi or for more
generality, comp.cad.ic.  Now maybe the proposed comp.cad.hybrid is meant to
cover all of the IC field, which is fine, but the name is then misleading.

If finer divisions are wanted, add subgroups to comp.cad.ic for analog,
digital, hybrid, cmos, etc.  Though from the traffic I have seen in CAD
related groups, this can of group explosion is probably not warranted at
this time.

Now a type of subdivision that may make more sense would be for schematic,
layout, simulation, etc.

Well enough for now.

Alan Bair
SPS C.A.D.  Austin, Texas
Motorola, Inc.
UUCP cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!turbinia!abair

jim@aob.aob.mn.org (Jim Anderson) (04/24/89)

In article <10542@rama.UUCP> news@rama.UUCP (Usenet News Admin) writes:
>There seems to be no newsgroups devoted to (or even oriented
>towards electronic design automation issues like printed circuit
>board design, schematic capture, circuit simulation programs,
>etc.  The closest is comp.lsi.cad, which is IC-design specific,
>leaving PCB and hybrid folks out in the cold.
>
>Here's some suggestions to get the ball rolling:
>comp.cad or comp.cadcam - General discussion concerning CAD/CAM/CAE
>comp.cad.pcb - Printed Circuit Board design
>comp.cad.hybrid - Hybrid circuit design

I would like to see the CAD/CAM groups (if they get created) created as
two major groups:
	comp.cad.mech	Mechanical CAD/CAM
	comp.cad.elec	Electrical CAD/CAM

The main reason for this is that most of the electronics CAD/CAM are mostly
related, as is much of the mechanical related stuff.  This also keeps the
number of groups minimized, as I don't expect enough traffic to keep a half
dozen groups active.  Besides, as small as the general traffic related to
CAD/CAM is (I haven't seen a half dozen articles in the last year), perhaps
a mailing list would be sufficient.
--
Jim Anderson			(612) 636-2869
Anderson O'Brien, Inc		New mail:jim@aob.mn.org

In article <208@aob.aob.mn.org>, jim@aob.aob.mn.org (Jim Anderson) writes:
> I would like to see the CAD/CAM groups (if they get created) created as
> two major groups:
>    comp.cad.mech  Mechanical CAD/CAM
>    comp.cad.elec  Electrical CAD/CAM

I agree that mechanical and electrical should be separated, but what of
ARCHETECTURAL? And CIVIL?

Maybe we should start with comp.cad.general and if traffic is great enough
THEN we could expand into the various subdivisions. If traffic is light, then
the surest way to a quick death would be to make so many sub groups that
only a few people use each. And we should always have a .general group to
discuss the subjects common to all CAD/CAM/CAEs.

One point: before you can make a newsgroup aren't you supposed to have a mail
list running for some time to show that there is enough interest? Are there
any mailings for CAD?

and about renaming comp.lsi.cad: That would be a major undertaking. You have to
get every node to change over. Big task. probably not worth the effort. It is
much easier to start a new group than to rename one. Thats why we should make
sure that if we create a CAD group that we name it right the first time.

So if we do make a CAD group let's start with ONE group such as
comp.cad.general and let the traffic build for a while and see how many
directions teh discussions start taking. Then if need be, we can always
petition to create sub groups as they are needed.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

hinojosa@hp-sdd.hp.com (Daniel Hinojosa) (04/26/89)

In article <10542@rama.UUCP> news@rama.UUCP (Usenet News Admin) writes:
>There seems to be no newsgroups devoted to (or even oriented
>towards electronic design automation issues like printed circuit
>board design, schematic capture,[...]

>Here's some suggestions to get the ball rolling:
>comp.cad or comp.cadcam - General discussion concerning CAD/CAM/CAE
>comp.cad.pcb - Printed Circuit Board design
>comp.cad.hybrid - Hybrid circuit design

>James D. Cronin                   UUCP:   jdc@sc.harris.com  or

James,
	I agree. I would like to see all of the above groups created.
I am a P.C. Designer/System administrator here and would like to get
an overview of what the outside world is up to. Get the ball going and
please be sure to keep the header of the subject accurate or similar
to CAD/CAM.

	Regards,

--
==dan=hinojosa==================================================================
           email -  uunet!ucsd!hp-sdd!hinojosa \ / uunet!hplabs!hp-sdd!hinojosa

deal@kodak.UUCP (Stephen M. Deal) (04/26/89)

>In article <10542@rama.UUCP> news@rama.UUCP (Usenet News Admin) writes:
>>Here's some suggestions to get the ball rolling:
>>comp.cad or comp.cadcam - General discussion concerning CAD/CAM/CAE
>>comp.cad.pcb - Printed Circuit Board design
>>comp.cad.hybrid - Hybrid circuit design

>In article <208@aob.aob.mn.org> jim@aob.aob.mn.org (Jim Anderson) writes:
>I would like to see the CAD/CAM groups (if they get created) created as
>two major groups:
>	comp.cad.mech	Mechanical CAD/CAM
>	comp.cad.elec	Electrical CAD/CAM

The comp.lsi.cad newsgroup is focused on a specific area of ECAD
and does not address the more general aspects of ECAD (e.g. PWB, ASIC).

Furthermore (as Jim Anderson states) there are other disciplines that do
CAD such as: mechanical, electrical, software, optical, chemical, process...
AND each of these does CAE, CAM, CAT... as well in their own special way.

Instead of a mailing list, I would suggest a group called:  comp.cad
This would provide a forum for general CAD/CAM/CAE discussion without
the implied constraints that a newsgroup name (e.g. comp.lsi.cad) creates.

--
    Steve Deal	 UUCP: ..rutgers!rochester!kodak!deal

    Disclaimer:	"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,
		 the above is mine and not that of my employer."

gdelong@cvman.UUCP (Gary Delong) (04/26/89)

In article <10542@rama.UUCP>, news@rama.UUCP (Usenet News Admin) writes:
> There seems to be no newsgroups devoted to (or even oriented
> towards electronic design automation issues like printed circuit
> board design, schematic capture, circuit simulation programs,
> etc.  The closest is comp.lsi.cad, which is IC-design specific,
> leaving PCB and hybrid folks out in the cold.

> Here's some suggestions to get the ball rolling:
> comp.cad or comp.cadcam - General discussion concerning CAD/CAM/CAE
> comp.cad.pcb - Printed Circuit Board design
> comp.cad.hybrid - Hybrid circuit design
>
> James D. Cronin                   UUCP:   jdc@sc.harris.com  or

I've been somewhat supprised that there are no such groups, as well
as groups related to mechnical design CAD.

I think the reason is probably that most useneters at S/W rather
than it's the H/W types who are the normal users of CAD, CAM, CAE,
and CIM type systems.

I'd support, read, and contribute to such a group if it were formed,
but of course I may be a little prejudice in this area. (see .sig)

--
  _____
 /  \    /   Gary A. Delong, N1BIP   "I am the NRA."  gdelong@cvman.prime.com
 |   \  /    COMPUTERVISION Division                  {sun|linus}!cvbnet!gdelong
 \____\/     Prime Computer, Inc.                     (603) 622-1260 x 261

fargo@pawl.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (04/27/89)

I too would be interested in seeing a newsgroup devoted to CAD.  As I plan to
be doing some design work eventually, might as well find out what I'm in for
and how I can do it best.

I also agree that we should start with a comp.cad.general group and split it
later instead of having multiple groups created at first.

Thank you and happy hunting!             Actually: Ethan M. Young
  ____ [> SB <]    "Travel IS life"      Internet: fargo@pawl.rpi.edu
 /__   -=>??<=-       - Irwin M. Fargo   Bitnet (??): usergac0@rpitsmts.bitnet
/   ARGO : 3000 years of regression from the year 4990

hinojosa@hp-sdd.hp.com (Daniel Hinojosa) (04/27/89)

In article <566@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>In article <208@aob.aob.mn.org>, jim@aob.aob.mn.org (Jim Anderson) writes:
>> I would like to see the CAD/CAM groups (if they get created) created as
>> two major groups:
>>    comp.cad.mech  Mechanical CAD/CAM
>>    comp.cad.elec  Electrical CAD/CAM

>I agree that mechanical and electrical should be separated, but what of
>ARCHETECTURAL? And CIVIL?
>
>So if we do make a CAD group let's start with ONE group such as
>comp.cad.general and let the traffic build for a while and see how many
>directions teh discussions start taking. Then if need be, we can always
>petition to create sub groups as they are needed.

The problem I have with this is that I have one particular area of
interest. P.C.B. design. I really don't want to have to wade through
who knows how many articles bout auto-cad and other subjects not
related to my particular disipline.

I think in this instance, the various groups should be created. If there
is not enough traffic to please the masses, consolidate.

--

sct@a.lanl.gov (Stephen Tenbrink) (04/28/89)

In article <10542@rama.UUCP>, news@rama.UUCP (Usenet News Admin) writes:
> There seems to be no newsgroups devoted to (or even oriented
> towards electronic design automation issues like printed circuit
> board design, schematic capture, circuit simulation programs,

	I would like to see such a newsgroup.  It would/should help
prospective purchasers of such equipment get a good idea of what each
systems capabilities are.  It would also serve as a central point for
general CAD discussions for pcb design, simulation, etc.

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (05/03/89)

In article <566@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

> So if we do make a CAD group let's start with ONE group such as
> comp.cad.general and let the traffic build for a while and see how many
> directions teh discussions start taking. Then if need be, we can always
> petition to create sub groups as they are needed.

The net.custom would be to create comp.cad or comp.cad.misc first.

I personally favor the latter name, but most of my concerns about the
flattening of the namespace are ignored anyway...

rja@edison.cho.ge.com

news@rama.UUCP (Usenet News Admin) (05/15/89)

There seems to be no newsgroups devoted to (or even oriented
towards electronic design automation issues like printed circuit
board design, schematic capture, circuit simulation programs,
etc.  The closest is comp.lsi.cad, which is IC-design specific,
leaving PCB and hybrid folks out in the cold.

Here's some suggestions to get the ball rolling:
comp.cad or comp.cadcam - General discussion concerning CAD/CAM/CAE
comp.cad.pcb - Printed Circuit Board design
comp.cad.hybrid - Hybrid circuit design

This list may be extended to any length, although there may not be
sufficient interest.

James D. Cronin                   UUCP:   jdc@sc.harris.com  or
Software Engineer                        ...!rochester!tropix!rama!jdc
Defacto News Administrator
Harris/Scientific Calculations

  To discover new lands, one must first be willing to lose sight of shore.