[sci.electronics] electrically operated valves

loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (05/03/89)

I am looking for valves (for fluids) taht are electrically operated.  Does
anyone out there know of a source for such a thing?

Mike Loving          loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu
                     . . . {hplabs,ucbvax,uunet}!cs.ucla.edu!loving

In article <23526@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> loving@CS.UCLA.EDU (Mike Loving) writes:
>I am looking for valves (for fluids) taht are electrically operated.  Does
>anyone out there know of a source for such a thing?

Check out your local source for washing-machine parts.  (A good big hardware
store?)  Probably much cheaper than getting them from orthodox hydraulic-
part suppliers.
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (05/04/89)

In article <23526@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu writes:
> I am looking for valves (for fluids) taht are electrically operated.  Does
> anyone out there know of a source for such a thing?
Mike,
  Try visiting a landscaping business and see what they have in the
  area of underground sprinklers. These control water flow with a
  12 volt supply. You can probaly get what you want for about $30.
  Regards,
  Joe

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (05/05/89)

>I am looking for valves (for fluids) taht are electrically operated.  Does
>anyone out there know of a source for such a thing?

If you're looking for something simple, cheap, and you have no plans to
run particularly obnoxious fluids through the valves, then I suggest you
go to your local garden supply shop and ask where the underground sprinkler
system stuff is.

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
{the known universe}!hplabs!hpfcla!myers |  sentient life-form on this planet.

haynes@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Haynes) (05/05/89)

There's also Herbach & Rademan in Philadelphia.

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu haynes@ucscc.bitnet ...ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (05/05/89)

In article <23526@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> loving@CS.UCLA.EDU (Mike Loving) writes:
>I am looking for valves (for fluids) taht are electrically operated.  Does
>anyone out there know of a source for such a thing?

I just installed a number of these in my lawn -- try Rain Bird sprinkler
dealers (or their competitors) in your area.  They operate off a fairly
low voltage (24 VAC?) and can handle fairly high flow rates.  They probably
will not work on low flow rates (say less than 2 gal per min).

----
John Lohmeyer             j.lohmeyer@wichita.ncr.com
NCR Corporation           ... uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!entec!j.lohmeye
3718 N. Rock Rd.          The SCSI BBS (316) 636-8700
Wichita, KS 67226         Voice: (316) 636-8703

dente@els.uucp (Colin Dente) (05/05/89)

How about any shop that sells stuff for central heating systems (i.e. a large
builders/plumbers merchant) - central heating systems are usually full of
electrically operated valves (Though they are quite pricey (I think 8^())

Colin
| Colin Dente                      | JANET: dente@uk.ac.man.ee.els            |
| Dept. of Electrical Engineering  | ARPA:  dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk            |
| University of Manchester         | UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!man.ee.els!dente    |
| England                          | These might work now, but then again...  |
|   Well I know how to behave in the restaurant now,                          |
|   I don't tear at the meat with my hands.       ....Well, not always....    |

rwb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (Bob Berger) (05/09/89)

For low flow low pressure applications, Edmund Scientific sells
a 12 V solenoid operated valve at 2/$3.50 or 12/$12.95.

They claim it's from the automotive industry, so you might check
an auto parts store. I once needed a small pump, and found a windshield
washer pump at KMART that was ideal for the job.

Robert Berger
rwb@vi.ri.cmu.edu
--

lacasse@blaise.rand.org (Mark LaCasse) (05/09/89)

I'm not sure if washing machine, sprinkler, or other binary
solinoid valves would suffice the original poster, but
what I would like and can't find are PROPORTIONAL valves
of some sort.  Something like a gate value with a stepper
motor attached.  Something that can take water at 80 PSI.
(Which leaves out $100 each heating system zone valves.)

So whats the scoop on this?

      Mark LaCasse                  qantel!hplabs!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      c/o The Rand Corporation       cbosgd!ihnp4!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      1700 Main Street                             decvax!randvax!lacasse
      Santa Monica, CA 90406
	213/393-0411  ext. 1509     lacasse@Rand-Unix

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (SYG) (05/11/89)

>>I am looking for valves (for fluids) taht are electrically operated.  Does
>>anyone out there know of a source for such a thing?

Dayton, Angar Scientific, there are many other companies.

Check the Thomas Registry for others.
This book may be found in your friendly
neighborhood science or engineering library.

In article <2011@randvax.UUCP>, lacasse@blaise.rand.org (Mark LaCasse) writes:
> I'm not sure if washing machine, sprinkler, or other binary
> solinoid valves would suffice the original poster, but
> what I would like and can't find are PROPORTIONAL valves
> of some sort.  Something like a gate value with a stepper
> motor attached.  Something that can take water at 80 PSI.
> (Which leaves out $100 each heating system zone valves.)

	A gate valve is not usually considered to be a proportional valve.
The most common type of proportional control valves are: globe, needle,
diaphragm,  butterfly and ball.  These valves are driven by an electric
motor or by air (electrically controlled using an I/P transducer).  A
proportional control valve usually operates on a 4-to-20 mA DC signal,
although voltage inputs are available.

	Proportional control valves are not cheap; you are looking at
several hundred $$$ for a bottom-of-the-line valve (that is rated for
industrial service).

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231, 716/773-1700        {att|hplabs|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635, 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

ron@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Ron Miller) (05/12/89)

Re: Really want a proportional GATE valve?

Huh?

Gate valves aren't throttling valves. Gate valves are like flapper or
butterfly valves, they are either OPEN or CLOSED but not really in between.
Gate valves are used where minimal flow restriction is desired when the
valve is open. They are expensive but pretty effective for isolation
functions.

If you want a throttling valve, buy a throttling valve. Recommend you
try contacting a plumbing supply shop for the name of their valve vendor
then contact the valve vendor for further contact names.

It isn't going to be easy until you find the network of professionals who
design or repair industrial fluid  processing plants.

Ron Miller

In article <2011@randvax.UUCP> lacasse@blaise.UUCP (Mark LaCasse) writes:
>what I would like and can't find are PROPORTIONAL valves
>of some sort.  Something like a gate value with a stepper
>motor attached...

Good proportional valves are probably much more expensive than simple
on-off valves, since the market is much smaller.  As was suggested a
while ago when this came up, one thing you can do is combine several
on-off valves in parallel, with flow restrictors, to build a hydraulic
digital-to-analog converter; it's not true proportional control but it
might be close enough.
--

<2011@randvax.UUCP>
In article <2011@randvax.UUCP> lacasse@blaise.UUCP (Mark LaCasse) writes:
>I'm not sure if washing machine, sprinkler, or other binary
>solinoid valves would suffice the original poster, but
>what I would like and can't find are PROPORTIONAL valves
>of some sort.  Something like a gate value with a stepper
>motor attached.  Something that can take water at 80 PSI.
>(Which leaves out $100 each heating system zone valves.)
>
>So whats the scoop on this?

I don't know, but we've (Corpane) have been looking for such an animal for a
while now. We have water cooled machines and would like our on-board
microprocessor to control how much water is let into the system. So a stepper
motor controlled proportional water valve is exactly what we need.

We looked everywhere, I think we found one place that sold it but it was an
outrageous price (somewhere around $1500). If anyone knows where we could
find a cheaper version than that, Please help us out and tell us where.

I guess our next step will be to build it ourselves. But we really aren't set
up for such an enterprise.
--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

phillip@bartal.CRLABS.COM (Phillip M. Vogel) (05/14/89)

In article <2011@randvax.UUCP> lacasse@blaise.UUCP (Mark LaCasse) writes:
>I'm not sure if washing machine, sprinkler, or other binary
>solinoid valves would suffice the original poster, but
>what I would like and can't find are PROPORTIONAL valves
>of some sort.  Something like a gate value with a stepper
>motor attached.  Something that can take water at 80 PSI.
>(Which leaves out $100 each heating system zone valves.)

A good (and cheap) way to handle this was suggested by someone else a
couple of months back when this was discussed (it seems to come up
regularly).

The plan is this: Get a number of on/off valves, and add flow restrictors
to them.  The flow restrictors should be set such that the flow through
each valve is twice the flow through the previous valve ie. 1gpm, 2gpm,
4gpm, 8gpm, 16gpm, 32gpm, 64gpm etc. What you have then is a digital to
analog converter which puts out water instead of electricity. We all
learned that electrical current through a conductor is analagous to water
flow through a pipe, so I guess this is a natural extension of that
theory.

BTW, if you need finer control, you could start the binary series at a
lower flow rate (1/4 gpm, 1/8 gpm, etc.). It really doesn't matter where
you start as long as the rates douple for successive valves.

Another advantage to this is that once the flow restrictors are set up,
you will have precise and PREDICTABLE flows. Wit a proportional valve
connected to a stepper motor, you will have to do a lot of experimentation
to determine the proper settings for desired flow rates.

Sorry for the long posting, but I hope it helps.
    Phillip
--
Phillip M. Vogel, President             | #include <standard_disclaimer.h>
Bartal Design Group, Inc. Englewood, NJ | (201)567-1343   FAX:(201)568-2891

brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian Rhodefer) (05/16/89)

In article <2011@randvax.UUCP>, lacasse@blaise.rand.org (Mark LaCasse) writes:
> I'm not sure if washing machine, sprinkler, or other binary
> solinoid valves would suffice the original poster, but
> what I would like and can't find are PROPORTIONAL valves
> of some sort.  Something like a gate value with a stepper
> motor attached.  Something that can take water at 80 PSI.
> (Which leaves out $100 each heating system zone valves.)

Someone already mentioned the "hydraulic DAC" approach, so I'll
offer another whimsical translation of electronics technique to
the water world:  the hydraulic switchmode buck converter!

Find a large tank somewhere.  A possibility would be a defunct hot
water heater whose element is shot, but doesn't leak at the stipulated
pressure.  Plug up its normal (hot) outlet.  Connect its cold inlet
through one of those binary solEnoid valves, to the water supply.
If significant lengths of plumbing are involved, you'll need a
healthy standpipe on one or both sides of the valve.

Take your output either from the "inspection drain", or tee it from
the the inlet, hopefully through a lengthy pipe.

Drive the solEnoid valve with either a fixed frequency, variable duty
cycle ON/OFF control train, or a fixed pulsewidth, variable frequency one.
The ON and OFF pulsewidths should be longer, by at least an order of
magnitude, than the operating speed of the valve.

You can read in Circuit Cellar Ink all about how such a system can be
driven by a relatively straightforward controller running a multitasking
operating system, using as little as 32K of RAM.  Or, if you're willing
to work with your windowshades down, you might use a dual op-amp instead.

Brian Rhodefer

In article <631@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
> >I'm not sure if washing machine, sprinkler, or other binary
> >solinoid valves would suffice the original poster, but
> >what I would like and can't find are PROPORTIONAL valves
> >of some sort.  Something like a gate value with a stepper
> >motor attached.  Something that can take water at 80 PSI.
> >(Which leaves out $100 each heating system zone valves.)
>
> I don't know, but we've (Corpane) have been looking for such an animal for a
> while now. We have water cooled machines and would like our on-board
> microprocessor to control how much water is let into the system. So a stepper
> motor controlled proportional water valve is exactly what we need.
>
> We looked everywhere, I think we found one place that sold it but it was an
> outrageous price (somewhere around $1500). If anyone knows where we could
> find a cheaper version than that, Please help us out and tell us where.
>
> I guess our next step will be to build it ourselves. But we really aren't set
> up for such an enterprise.

	My organization frequently uses proportional control valves for
various chemical instrumentation projects.  Most of the valves we use are
off-the-shelf chemical industry control valves which require a 4-to-20 mA
actuation signal (i.e., 4 mA = closed, 20 mA = fully open).

	However, there have been a few projects where we did not wish to
use an such an off-the-shelf valve because of size considerations, and
because we wished to use a stepper motor and remain all digital for more
precise control.  Here is how we did it:

1.	First, begin with a bellows valve intended for metering service
	(actually a globe or needle valve will also work).  In one
	particular application we used a Nupro (a Swagelok company)
	bellows valve.  Nupro is the cadillac of valves; lesser quality
	valves should suffice for water control applications.

2.	The above valve required about 2-1/2 turns from fully closed to
	fully open.  To limit travel of the valve, use a mechanical
	limit stop assembly.  We used a device made by Winfred Berg, Inc.
	which cost about $ 100.00, and which has an adjustable stop range
	from about 30 to 900 degrees.  Couple the limit stop assembly
	to the valve.

3.	Provide a friction clutch between the limit stop assembly and
	the stepping motor.  Again, we used Berg for this item.

4.	Connect the stepping motor to the friction clutch.  We used a
	Superior Electric Slo-Syn (tm) series stepping motor.

	While the above items cost us several hundred dollars, with
some luck you can probably find them surplus for pennies on the dollar -
except for the limit stop assembly, which is not too common.  With
some ingenuity one can probably design some type of multi-turn limit
stop assembly for a few dollars in parts.  The clutch is optional;
you can use the inherent torque limiting of the stepper motor to
limit rotation.

	The nice part of the above design is that no feedback pots or
limit switches are necessary.  The limit stop assembly protects the
valve from over-travel, and the clutch protects the stepper motor
against overheating.

	In operation, the microprocessor first "initializes" the valve
on powerup by pulsing enough steps to close the valve plus some extra.
Since the microprocessor had no idea where the valve position was
upon powerup, we gave it something like the full open-to-close steps
(around 500) plus an additional 50 steps.  This _assured_ the system
that the valve was closed AND against the closed rotational limit
stop.  Since we were now initialized, the microprocessor merely kept
track of open and close steps (actually 1.8 deg increments) to see
where the valve was.  As long as the algebraic sum of valve increments
is maintained, there is no need for any feedback devices.

	I'm certain that many Net readers can construct the above scheme
on a low-budget basis.  The least expensive item should be the stepper
motor; just look for a junk LA-36 Decwriter or equivalent. :-)

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  TEL  716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {att|hplabs|utzoo}!/      \uniquex!larry
<>  FAX  716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488     "Have you hugged your cat today?"

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (05/17/89)

In article <28@bartal.CRLABS.COM> phillip@bartal.CRLABS.COM (Phillip M. Vogel) writes:
>In article <2011@randvax.UUCP> lacasse@blaise.UUCP (Mark LaCasse) writes:
>>I'm not sure if washing machine, sprinkler, or other binary
>>solinoid valves would suffice the original poster, but
>>what I would like and can't find are PROPORTIONAL valves
>>of some sort.  Something like a gate value with a stepper
>>motor attached.  Something that can take water at 80 PSI.
>>(Which leaves out $100 each heating system zone valves.)
>>
>The plan is this: Get a number of on/off valves, and add flow restrictors
>to them.  The flow restrictors should be set such that the flow through
>each valve is twice the flow through the previous valve ie. 1gpm, 2gpm,
>4gpm, 8gpm, 16gpm, 32gpm, 64gpm etc. What you have then is a digital to
>analog converter which puts out water instead of electricity. We all
>learned that electrical current through a conductor is analagous to water
>flow through a pipe, so I guess this is a natural extension of that
>theory.

Some potential problems with this setup: 1) It will be large and
require quite a bit of plumbing.  2) It will be noisy.  Both the
electrically-operated valves and the flow restrictors will add their
share of noise (it will tend to sound like the fill cycle on a washing
machine.  3) The current draw at full-flow will be quite high,
compared to a single-valve setup, since all 'n' valves will be on.

Depending upon the application, you may not care about any of the
above; on the other hand, this setup would not be acceptible inside
the wall of your typical domestic bathroom for example (especially
times two; one for cold and one for hot!).

>Another advantage to this is that once the flow restrictors are set up,
>you will have precise and PREDICTABLE flows. Wit a proportional valve
>connected to a stepper motor, you will have to do a lot of experimentation
>to determine the proper settings for desired flow rates.

The flow will be predictable only if the input pressure is relatively
constant, which may or may not be true depending upon application.

The stepper-motor approach is *much* better if you use feedback.
There's a company called Omega which publishes thick, glossy catalogs
of flow-control sensors.  Put a flow meter downstream of your
stepper-controlled proportional valve, and read the amount of flow
you're getting.  Then adjust the valve up or down accordingly.  A
little care in avoiding oscillation, and you will get precise,
variable control from a single valve.  You will still need two for
hot/cold mixing applications.  A thermocouple downstream of the mixing
point can also give you temperature feedback, which you can combine
with your flow-rate data for accurate temperature and flow control.

Longish .signature follows.  Skip now.

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352
(408) 437-5198			GEnie:  G.WAGEMAN
------------------
"Live Free; Die Anyway."
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.

kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (05/18/89)

In article <631@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

> I don't know, but we've (Corpane) have been looking for such an animal for a
> while now. We have water cooled machines and would like our on-board
> microprocessor to control how much water is let into the system. So a stepper
> motor controlled proportional water valve is exactly what we need.

This brings to mind a problem encountered by my father-in-law when he was
working on biomedical instrumentation for the Air Force (actually, for NASA).
One experiment which flew on Skylab required digital control of a vacuum
chamber.  I think the idea may have some possibilities with your application.

It works like this-- take 3 or 4 (or more) electrical ON-OFF valves, and
connect them in parallel to a LARGE inlet manifold.  The key is to have
very little pressure drop from the first valve to the n'th valve, and to have
lots of capability for flow.  Follow each valve with a manual valve, which
you then adjust for a given flow.  The first manual valve is adjusted for
 n gallons per minute, the second for 2n, the third for 4n, etc.
By selecting which valves are on, you can control the total flow.  The output
of the manual valves is then fed to an output manifold, again large.
ASCII graphics of this:
                    ------| e valve 1 |---|m valve 1|---------
                    |                       n gpm            |
                    |-----| e-valve 2 |---|m valve 2|--------|
                    |                       2n gpm           |
          ----------------| e valve 3 |---|m valve 3|----------------------
          ----------|                       4n gpm           |--------------
     inlet manifold |                                        |  outlet manifold
                                     etc.

This may provide at least some measure of digital control.
Hope it helps.

Norman Kluksdahl              Arizona State University
            ..ncar!noao!asuvax!enuxha!kluksdah
alternate:   kluksdah@enuxc1.eas.asu.edu

standard disclaimer implied

In article <137@enuxha.eas.asu.edu>, kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) writes:
> It works like this-- take 3 or 4 (or more) electrical ON-OFF valves, and
> connect them in parallel to a LARGE inlet manifold.  The key is to have
> very little pressure drop from the first valve to the n'th valve, and to have
> lots of capability for flow.  Follow each valve with a manual valve, which
> you then adjust for a given flow.  The first manual valve is adjusted for
> n gallons per minute, the second for 2n, the third for 4n, etc.
> By selecting which valves are on, you can control the total flow.  The output
> of the manual valves is then fed to an output manifold, again large.

	For the above scheme to work on an _accurate_ repeatable basis
without the use of a flow rate feedback sensor, it is necessary that the
pressure on the inlet valve manifold be regulated.  In addition, error
will be introduced if the "backpressure" presented to the outlet side
of the valve manifold changes - as a result of increased flow and/or
other conditions caused by delivery of the fluid.

	The point to bear in mind is that flow rate across an orifice
varies as the square root of the differential pressure across the orifice.
You can calibrate an orifice (i.e., an adjustable valve) to deliver a
given flow rate ONLY for a given differential pressure; if this differential
pressure changes due to inlet pressure and/or outlet backpressure conditions,
so will the flow rate.

	In industrial/chemical process applications, flow rate is never
set solely through a valve without feedback either from a flowmeter, or from
an ultimate process variable (like temperature, in a mixing application).