[sci.electronics] IBM-PC Volume Control

jimb@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Jim Bjorksten) (05/19/89)

Is there a way to adjust the volume on my IBM-PC??
-Jim

cook@stout.ucar.edu (Forrest Cook) (05/20/89)

In article <2373@Portia.Stanford.EDU> jimb@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Jim Bjorksten) writes:
>Is there a way to adjust the volume on my IBM-PC??
>-Jim

Yes, I added a volume control to a PC here at work.  Here is the schematic:

PC SPK: ------------------|                  /|
                          /               --/ |
                   100    \ <-------------|   | SPKR
                   OHM    /        |------|   |
                   POT    \        |      --\ |
                          /        |         \|
PC GND:	------------------|--------|

An audio taper potentiometer would be "proper" here, but linear pots are
easier to find at 100 ohms and work fine.

Too bad IBM didn't put a DAC in front of the speaker, square waves are
kind of limiting.

 ^   ^  Forrest Cook - Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers - LB
/|\ /|\ cook@stout.ucar.edu (The preceeding was all my OPINION)
/|\ /|\ {husc6|rutgers|ames|gatech}!ncar!stout!cook
/|\ /|\ {uunet|ucbvax|allegra|cbosgd}!nbires!ncar!stout!cook

group@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd) (05/21/89)

> Is there a way to adjust the volume on my IBM-PC??
> -Jim

Wire cutters? ;-)

---
"I have never looked upon ease and happiness as ends in themselves--
	   	   this ethical basis I call the ideal of the pigsty".

group@jupiter.nmt.edu 						--A.E.