[sci.electronics] JDR-MCT PROM & PAL programmer

twh@lems.brown.edu (tom hunt) (05/23/89)

Has anyone out there had any experiences using the JDR PAL/PROM
programmer.  It seems like it can do quite a bit for a small amount
of money.  If you have used this or any other type of programmer
please let me know.

thanks
th
twh@lems.brown.edu

Dick@cup.portal.com (dick a wotiz) (05/25/89)

twh@lems.brown.edu writes:

> Has anyone out there had any experiences using the JDR PAL/PROM
> programmer.  It seems like it can do quite a bit for a small amount
> of money.  If you have used this or any other type of programmer
> please let me know.

I just bought one of their model MUP programmers a few weeks ago.
I wasn't too sure how good it was, but gave it a try anyway.
So far, I'm impressed with its features!  The Eprom and bipolar
prom mode seems to work, and the list of devices is easily as
big as the $2000 Stag programmer I was looking at.

It seems fine for prototype work; I wouldn't want to count on
it for 100% reliable use, though.  The programming pulses are
about 10% short, and I'm not sure how close some of the other
signal timings are to spec, but that hasn't mattered so far.

The design seems clean and professional, and the software seems
to be bug-free (so far :-) )  One feature I really like is being
able to specify the Eprom programming algorithm/Vcc/Vpp independently,
so it should work with a device not on its list, as long as you
know what the device's specs are.

Now if they'd only support some of the more exotic eprom mpu's...

Dick Wotiz                      dick@portal.com
                        {uunet|sun}!portal!dick