[sci.electronics] remote cable cntrls

rwl@ektools.UUCP (Richard W. Lourette) (05/17/89)

Can someone tell me where I can get a cable tv controler that has an
ir remote that can also control the volume?

Thanks in advance...

				Rich Lourette
				Software Engineer
				Eastman Kodak Co.
				( UUCP -> ..!kodak!ektools!rwl )

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (05/23/89)

No. In regards to volume control using CABLE BOXES..you must realize that the
TV must DECODE the audio from the composite signal comming from the cable
box....in much the same way synch is.
Volume is a factor produced at the amplifier of your T.V>.
You should concentrate on controlling the volume at your SET rather than at
the cable box.

	-Mike

= Mike Carter  N7GYX, Phoenix AZ| Q: Why did the Chicken cross the road  ?  =
= hplabs!hp-sdd!crash!xroads!wiz| A: To ESCape the Main Menu .              =

dong@osgood.harvard.edu (Rui-Tao Dong) (05/24/89)

In article <1893@ektools.UUCP> rwl@ektools.UUCP (Richard W. Lourette) writes:
>Can someone tell me where I can get a cable tv controler that has an
>ir remote that can also control the volume?
>
>Thanks in advance...
>

>				Rich Lourette
>				Software Engineer
>				Eastman Kodak Co.
>				( UUCP -> ..!kodak!ektools!rwl )

	I am using a cable converter called RemoteScan 2001 which got
remote volume control. Simply hook it to any TV, you get full remote
control -- power, channel, volume, mute, timer. It can switch back and
forth between cable and on air TV. If you are willing to hook it up to you
stereo system, you can get stereo and SAP sound.
	It costs $99.95 while it was on sale. I think it definitely worth
the money.

	Rui-Tao Dong 		dong@math.harvard.edu
				dong@huma1.bitnet

pmb@swituc.UUCP (Pat Berry) (05/24/89)

In article <706@xroads.UUCP>, wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) writes:

> No. In regards to volume control using CABLE BOXES..you must realize that the
> TV must DECODE the audio from the composite signal comming from the cable
> box....in much the same way synch is.
> Volume is a factor produced at the amplifier of your T.V>.
> You should concentrate on controlling the volume at your SET rather than at
> the cable box.

Gee, someone should tell our cable company... all their converter boxes
have remote volume adjust.

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (05/25/89)

In article <130@swituc.UUCP>, pmb@swituc.UUCP (Pat Berry) writes:
> In article <706@xroads.UUCP>, wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) writes:
> > You should concentrate on controlling the volume at your SET rather than at
> > the cable box.
>
> Gee, someone should tell our cable company... all their converter boxes
> have remote volume adjust.

My cable box had this feature, fortunately it could be disabled by a
switch.  It works by turning the volume on the
set WAY up, as high as you would ever want to listen to it, then
artificially reducing the level of the sound signal sent by the
decoder box.  The problem was the high volume setting on the TV
set was introducing an inordinate amount of 60Hz hum, when the
volume was set at typical listening levels.

Eventually, I just bought a TV with remote volume control. :-)

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (05/26/89)

The cable box volume adjusting as mentioned is not only a "kludge" way
of remote volume, it can also cause the T.V. amp to suffer dammge when
those Newscasts with the "Lets go to charlie live at.." and POP! someone
drops the signal.
Then again..not all cable companies do stuff the same way. Ours doesn't
supply volume adjust ..(Its hard enough getting a box that works..)..
and what the heck, spend another $150 and pick up a cable ready TV with a
remote.

The 120HZ hum you hear now is the precursor to the low whistle when you get
the bill from the TV shop.

	-Mikey