[sci.electronics] Substituting Caps oin Logic Supplies

sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) (05/24/89)

I have a VCR which I'd like to modify by greatly increasing
the logic supply filter capacitance.  The purpose being to
increase the time the memory will be retained during power
outages.  The question is, are the new ultra-high caps
(i.e. 3.3F at 5.5 V) which are designed for power backup
suitable for use as power supply filter capacitors?
Thanks in advance!
--
Seth J. Bradley     UUCP: uunet!{lll-winken|ubvax}!dalek!sjb
		Internet: lll-winken.llnl.gov!dalek!sjb

In article <484@dalek.UUCP> sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) writes:
>... The question is, are the new ultra-high caps
>(i.e. 3.3F at 5.5 V) which are designed for power backup
>suitable for use as power supply filter capacitors?

In general, no -- their internal resistance is too high.  Substantial
currents flow in and out of filter capacitors during the AC cycle.
--
Van Allen, adj: pertaining to  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
deadly hazards to spaceflight. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

hoang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dzung Hoang) (05/26/89)

In article <1989May24.154332.29113@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <484@dalek.UUCP> sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) writes:
>>... The question is, are the new ultra-high caps
>>(i.e. 3.3F at 5.5 V) which are designed for power backup
>>suitable for use as power supply filter capacitors?
>
>In general, no -- their internal resistance is too high.  Substantial
>currents flow in and out of filter capacitors during the AC cycle.
>--
>Van Allen, adj: pertaining to  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>deadly hazards to spaceflight. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

To: henry@utzoo.uucp
Subject: Re: Substituting Caps oin Logic Supplies
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Bcc:

In article <1989May24.154332.29113@utzoo.uucp> you write:
>In article <484@dalek.UUCP> sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) writes:
>>... The question is, are the new ultra-high caps
>>(i.e. 3.3F at 5.5 V) which are designed for power backup
>>suitable for use as power supply filter capacitors?
>
>In general, no -- their internal resistance is too high.  Substantial
>currents flow in and out of filter capacitors during the AC cycle.
>--
>Van Allen, adj: pertaining to  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>deadly hazards to spaceflight. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

    Uh, high internal resistance is desirable in capacitors.  I really doubt
that much AC current will flow through the capacitor if it is used as a power
supply filter.

    You should have no problem if the DC voltage is less than 5V, although
3V or so would be better.  These caps can be easily damaged by apply too-
high voltages.  Try it and see.

Dzung Hoang
hoang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

jeffw@midas.STS.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (05/27/89)

In article <814@rex.cs.tulane.edu> hoang@rex.UUCP (Dzung Hoang) writes:

>    Uh, high internal resistance is desirable in capacitors.  I really doubt
>that much AC current will flow through the capacitor if it is used as a power
>supply filter.

The first statement is true for parallel resistance, which is virtually
irrelevant in power supplies. What Henry was talking about, and he is
absolutely right, is internal series resistance, which is most definitely
UNdesirable in a capacitor. (Unless you are relying on the ESR of the
capacitor to stabilize your regulator feedback loop or damp your decoupling
circuit - but those are subtleties.)

As for your second statement, I implore you to become a believer. If there's
not much AC current flowing through a power supply filter capacitor, somebody
wasted a capacitor. The whole point of such capacitors is to prevent AC
currents from affecting the power supply voltage. And internal series
resistance will of course conflict with that purpose.

						Jeff Winslow

In article <814@rex.cs.tulane.edu> hoang@rex.UUCP (Dzung Hoang) writes:
>>>... The question is, are the new ultra-high caps
>>>(i.e. 3.3F at 5.5 V) which are designed for power backup
>>>suitable for use as power supply filter capacitors?
>>
>>In general, no -- their internal resistance is too high.  Substantial
>>currents flow in and out of filter capacitors during the AC cycle.
>
>    Uh, high internal resistance is desirable in capacitors.

Cough choke splutter.  Unless everything I learned is wrong, high internal
resistance is exactly what you *don't* want in capacitors.  The purpose
of capacitors is to store charge and dispense it as desired.  *Any*
internal resistance interferes with that.  Can you justify this remarkable
statement?

>I really doubt
>that much AC current will flow through the capacitor if it is used as a power
>supply filter.

Try computing it sometime.  It's a lot more than you think.  During a fair
part of the AC cycle, the voltage out of the diodes will be less than the
desired DC voltage, so the capacitor is what's supplying the entire power
drain of your circuit.  During the remainder, the voltage is higher than
the desired, so it's recharging the capacitor.  This period will generally
be a relatively small portion of the cycle, meaning that currents then
have to be even higher to recharge the capacitor adequately.

>    You should have no problem if the DC voltage is less than 5V, although
>3V or so would be better.  These caps can be easily damaged by apply too-
>high voltages.  Try it and see.

Do remember that the voltage out of a transformer-diode front end will be
*considerably* higher than the final output voltage.  First, because it's
pulsating DC with peaks rather higher than the average.  Second, because
there is voltage drop in the regulators, often quite a bit.  A supply which
delivers +5 will often have peak voltages of +10 or more at the filter caps.
--

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (SYG) (06/01/89)

In article <1989May24.154332.29113@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <484@dalek.UUCP> sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) writes:
>>... The question is, are the new ultra-high caps
>>(i.e. 3.3F at 5.5 V) which are designed for power backup
>>suitable for use as power supply filter capacitors?

>In general, no -- their internal resistance is too high.  Substantial
>currents flow in and out of filter capacitors during the AC cycle.

Since Seth wants to use these caps for power backup, pehaps keep the original
filter caps in place and put the 3.3F after the filter caps or
(if that will cause problems with the power supply, then perhaps)
in parallel, if the voltage specs
at that point are acceptable:  5.5V might cut it close, although for less
cap., you could  use two of them in series.  The filter caps will filter
when power is ok; when AC power goes down, the 3.3F will supply reserve power.

(ie: the PS caps are the 60 Hz filters; the  3.3F does the low low frequency
(power outage) filtering :-) )

barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) (06/03/89)

Howzabout using a rechargeable battery with an isolation diode and
forgetting about all of that capacitor stuff?

They use 'em in computers all the time and also in my cheepo
Radio Shaft scanner.