[sci.electronics] Stereo TV Converters?

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (05/30/89)

I would like to get a converter so that I can hear stereo programs
on a mono TV. I have heard that there is one that "listens" to the
TV IF, thus avoiding the need for an expensive tuner. Anyone know
of one of these widgets that is not too expensive?

Thanks.
--
John Moore (NJ7E)           mcdphx!anasaz!john asuvax!anasaz!john
(602) 861-7607 (day or eve) long palladium, short petroleum

murray@sq.com (Murray Maloney) (05/31/89)

In article <77@anasaz.UUCP> john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>I would like to get a converter so that I can hear stereo programs
>on a mono TV. I have heard that there is one that "listens" to the
>TV IF, thus avoiding the need for an expensive tuner. Anyone know
>of one of these widgets that is not too expensive?

I have a Recoton F.R.E.D. MTS Stereo TV decoder.  It has two inputs
and two sets of outputs.  The unit comes with an attachment that has
can be attached to the back of your TV set to, as you say, listen to
the TV IF.  If you have a TV or VCR that is equipped with a MPX jack,
you can connect it to this unit also.  The input source is switch
selectable, but the switch is on the back panel -- my only compliant.
In addition to the MTS Stereo decoding circuitry, this unit has options
for "synth" stereo and "spatial enhancement" as well as noise reduction.

I bought this unit about three years ago for $300 CDN, but I suspect that
it is available in the U.S. for about $100-150.  Prices in Canada are
usually highly inflated, and I bought when the unit was first introduced.

Murray Maloney
SoftQuad Inc.

bruce@nmsu.edu (Bruce Rowen) (06/01/89)

I have a Recoton MTS converter that uses a "stick-on"probe to pick up
IF leakage from the set. This is then decoded and passed through
several noise reduction stages to a pair of RCA jacks which can be
connected to the line inputs of a stereo system. The unit has a stereo
synthesizer for non-stereo broadcasts plus a circuit to expand the
separation depending upon your speaker placement. I paid $49 for my
unit and feel that this was the way to go when I bought a new TV. A
stereo TV costs about $100 more than a mono version, and to find a set
with audio output jacks is even tuffer (even a stereo TV sounds bad
through its small speakers). The probe is to be taped on the cabinet
of the TV where the signal is the greatest. They (Recoton) will also
supply, for no charge, an internal probe if the external probe does
not work well (some TVs are well shielded). My likes and dislikes
follow:

For the price you can't go wrong. It is awkward to use two remotes (one
for the TV and one for the stereo) unless you have a universal. The
sound quality is far superior to the original TV sound system. On my
TV, the probe could not get a good signal (you must have a good signal
or much noise will result), so I placed the probe inside the TV
directly on the tuner cover. This works fine, however I could have
ordered the internal probe but did not choose to since I am lazy and
know the hazards involved. Some small problems I have noticed are
"pops" when I change channels (not too bad but could damage speakers
if the volume is high) and sometimes the dynamic range is so great
that it can be annoying. All in all I am happy for the
performance/price ratio and the money I saved on a true stereo TV.

-Bruce
--
-Bruce

eqmdg@dcatla.UUCP (Mark Gardner) (06/01/89)

In article <77@anasaz.UUCP> john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>I would like to get a converter so that I can hear stereo programs
>on a mono TV. I have heard that there is one that "listens" to the
>TV IF, thus avoiding the need for an expensive tuner. Anyone know
>of one of these widgets that is not too expensive?

I had one of these, a Recoton FRED 620, I think was the model #.  I'm not
sure that it doesn't have a tuner--it might have one that tunes itself by
sensing the IF in the set, I can't remember the details--but the point is
that you didn't have to tune both your TV and the FRED seperately.

That's the theory anyway.  I never got it to work.

Your could use it 3 ways:

1) with multiplex adaptor on the TV (not many have one)
2) pipe your cable through the thing on the way to the TV
3) use a small sensor on the TV cabinet to sense the IF

I could not get #3 to work and did not care to take the TV apart.

As for #2, the FRED has to come after the cable tuning box and before the TV.
If you have a cable-ready TV tuner, you can forget this.  I tried using my
VCR, which is cable-ready, but never got that to work either.

Other than that it's a great unit!  [Actually I'm not totally flaming it here;
method 3 should work but you might have to tear the cabinet off or have someong
do it.

Epilogue:  I sold it to a guy for $25 who had the correct cable hookup.  He
loves it.  I bought a new reciever/monitor with MTS, and it's great.
--
  If you push something hard enough,  |   UUCP:  ...gatech!dcatla!eqmdg
  it will fall over.                  |   Internet:  dcatla!eqmdg@gatech.uucp

jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com (Justin Masters ) (06/03/89)

In article <77@anasaz.UUCP> john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
+I would like to get a converter so that I can hear stereo programs
+on a mono TV. I have heard that there is one that "listens" to the
+TV IF, thus avoiding the need for an expensive tuner. Anyone know
+of one of these widgets that is not too expensive?
+
Please post it here, I'm trying to find something to decently fit between
either my antenna output, before it gets to my mono VCR, or on the output of
the VCR.  I suppose I'm going to want it after the VCR, since I do need the
proper channels frequency range, right? :)  Anyway, I don't have a MONO button
on my stereo, to get pseudo stereo, and I don't want to splice the wire to
both stereo inputs.  Is there a way to actually FILTER out a left and right
channel from antenna input, or in this case mono VCR output?

I WANT TRUE STEREO! My wife won't let me go spend the money for a stereo VCR.

"This is the United States calling.
 Are we reaching you?" - Pink Floyd  Justin Masters - jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com