[sci.electronics] Re^2: HV Cap Fun!

mbe@dde.uucp (Martin Berg) (06/01/89)

vaso@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan) writes:

>A Paradox of Capacitor Energy Storage

>I've heard several competing answers to this paradox. None is entirely
>satisfactory:

>Consider an ideal 2uF (for computational ease) capacitor charged by a 10 volt
>source. Eventually, the energy stored is (1/2)*CV^2=100 joules.
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You forgot that the 'u' in 2 uF stands for 'micro', that is 2*10^-6 F.
So the energy stored is 100 uJ (100*10^-6 J). But this does not affect
your 'Paradox of Capacitor Energy Storage'.

>Consider the capacitor to be isolated from the voltage source, and then
>directly shorted across an identical (ideal) capacitor. Eventually, the
>voltage across each capacitor will be 5V. Now, there are two equally
>charged capacitors, each storing (1/2)*CV^2= 25 joules, for a total of
>of 50 joules.  What happened to the other 50 joules ?

The current in a capacitor is defined as: I = - dV/dt * C (that
is: change in voltage pr. sec. times the capacity, forget the sign).

This means that you cannot change the voltage across a capacitor
instantaneously : this would inply infinite current.

It also means that when you short your two capacitors across each other,
then the current will rise to an level where internal resistance and wire
resistance is not neglectable.

When this happens then you loose energy in form of heat.

Also: when you start shorting the capacitors, you will get a spark -
this is also a waste of enery.

If you use an inductor when connecting the capacitors then you
would not loose energy (ok, ok a little if the components is not ideal).

But then the resulting voltage would not be 5 V - it would be 7.07 V
(for energy preservation).

By the way: I'm not so sure that the resulting voltage would be 5 V
in your example.
--
mbe@dde.dk                        |  "The answer is 42"
or                                |  D. Adams

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (06/02/89)

>A Paradox of Capacitor Energy Storage
>
>I've heard several competing answers to this paradox. None is entirely
>satisfactory:
>
>Consider an ideal 2uF (for computational ease) capacitor charged by a 10 volt
>source. Eventually, the energy stored is (1/2)*CV^2=100 joules.
>
>Consider the capacitor to be isolated from the voltage source, and then
>directly shorted across an identical (ideal) capacitor. Eventually, the
>voltage across each capacitor will be 5V. Now, there are two equally
>charged capacitors, each storing (1/2)*CV^2= 25 joules, for a total of
>of 50 joules.  What happened to the other 50 joules ?

This is one of the "classic" puzzles in electronics, and more than anything
else is a prime example of how you can do things with "theoretically ideal"
parts which make absolutely no sense at all in the real world.  (Here's
another example - an ideal 100 uF capacitor is instantaneously connected
across an *ideal* 10V voltage source.  How long does it take for the
voltage across the capacitor to reach 10V?)  Anyway, some possible answers
to the above:

1. Given the "ideal" components used in this problem, we are forced to
conclude that there is zero resistance in the conductors used to connect
the two capacitors.  However, there *cannot* be zero inductance in these
conductors, if they have any physical length at all.  Therefore, what we
actually have is a resonant L-C circuit, which is excited into oscillation
at its resonant frequency when the second capacitor is connected.  With
no resistance present, the oscillation is never damped out (no loss of
energy via a resistive element), and so it continues forever.  The original
assumption, that the circuit would wind up at 5VDC across the two caps, is
incorrect.  (For that matter, consider the word "eventually" in the problem
statement; where does the "eventually" come from in the absence of resistance?)

2. Let's suppose, though, that we further "idealize" the situation by
considering that the conductors between the capacitors have no inductance.
(This is possible only if they have no physical length.)  For example,
suppose that I simply (through the typical Amazing Blackboard Magic)
double the area of the original capacitor's plates, hence doubling the
capacitance.  Now what happens?

2b.  What if there is just a little inductance?  Enough so that the
theoretical resonant frequency (given by 1/(2pi*sqrt(LC))) is EXTREMELY
high - say, that of UV light?  (See what trouble you can get into with these
"ideal" and "purely theoretical" calculations?)

3. Another go at it: this time, instead of doubling the plate area, I will
instantaneously insert a sheet of dielectric with a relative permittivity
of 2 (the original capacitor had air or vacuum between the plates).  What
happens in this case?

4. Of course, all of the above discussion ignores the fact that there will
ALWAYS be a loss of energy from this circuit; if we step back from the
realm of pure circuit theory, and look at the situation from a fields point
of view, we have all we need (time-varying electric and magnetic fields) for
this thing to lose energy via EM radiation.  Exactly how this happens, of
course, would depend on the physical structure of the apparatus.  Now the
first answrer is incorrect, and we WOULD expect a loss of energy from the
system, and so a damping of the oscillations.  We cannot, though, with the
information given so far, describe this in detail.

I certainly hope that this has further confused the issue.   :-)

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com               |  sentient life-form on this planet.

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (06/02/89)

This problem is sometimes known as the "Case of the Nefarious
Joule Thief".

Put a small resistor, or a small inductance, or both, in series with
the switch; solve the circuit equations for the transient behavior
starting when the switch closes; and examine for physical
significance, considering particularly the case when the series R
or L tend to zero

fransvo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (Frans van Otten) (06/02/89)

Martin Berg writes:

>Vaso Bovan writes:
>
>>A Paradox of Capacitor Energy Storage
>
>By the way: I'm not so sure that the resulting voltage would be 5 V
>in your example.

Of course it would be 5 volt.  The following formula applies to capacitors:

q = C*u   (the charge is the capacitance times the voltage)

Math for the problem (both capacitors have capacitance C):

Before:

q1 = C * 10 V = 10C coulomb
q2 = C *  0 V =  0C coulomb

Total charge 10 coulomb.

after:

q1 = C * 5 V = 5C coulomb
q2 = C * 5 V = 5C coulomb

Total charge 10 coulomb.
--
Frans van Otten                     |   fransvo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl    or
Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam       |   fransvo@htsa.uucp              or

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (06/02/89)

mbe@dde.uucp (Martin Berg) writes:

>If you use an inductor when connecting the capacitors then you
>would not loose energy (ok, ok a little if the components is not ideal).
>
>But then the resulting voltage would not be 5 V - it would be 7.07 V
>(for energy preservation).

Bull.  At least it would be only as it passed through.  In a non-
radiating, non-dissipative ("ideal" :-) system, there would be an
oscillatory current that would yield (assuming the junction between
the caps to be the reference terminal and the inductance all lumped
between the other ends of the caps) two sine waves, 180 degrees out
of phase, each going between 0 volts and 10 volts, as measured at
each capacitor.

Repeating a question I posted earlier:  can you think of a _simple_
circuit that will let you get 7.07 volts on each cap, with no
external energy source?  (7.07 volts final value, after an "energy
transfer" period.)  Or here's an easier one:  move all the charge from
one of the capacitors to the other one, so the first cap (orig. 10 V)
is now zero and the second (orig. zero) is 10 V.  Again, no external
energy sources.  You might have to use "ideal" components to do it;
also tell me what sort of loss you would expect in the real world.

abali@parts.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bulent Abali) (06/02/89)

In article <147@sierra.stanford.edu> siegman@sierra.UUCP (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:
>Put a small resistor, or a small inductance, or both, in series with
>the switch; solve the circuit equations for the transient behavior
>starting when the switch closes; and examine for physical
>significance, considering particularly the case when the series R
>or L tend to zero

Exactly. A resistor R can be assumed in series with the switch,
and the energy dissipated on R can be derived (easy). The resulting equation
will show that the energy dissipated is R independent. One half of
the original energy of the system will be lost on R, regardless of its
value. If L is assumed instead of R, we can arrive at the same
conclusion except that the 1/2 energy will not be lost, but will
be stored in the inductor regardless of its value.

-=-
Bulent Abali
Ohio State Univ., Dept.of Electrical Eng.
2015 Neil Av. Columbus, Ohio 43210
abali@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (06/03/89)

There's a mechanical analog to the switched-capacitor "where did half
the energy go" problem.  A slow conveyor belt rolls past a loading
chute which dumps dirt or coal or something on the belt at a fixed
rate dm/dt (m=mass of dirt dumped).  The dirt is instantaneously
accelerated to the belt's steady velocity v as it hits the belt's
surface.  Force required to keep pulling the belt (no friction) = f =
dp/dt where dp = dm v = momentum added to the mass dm.  Work done in
time dt = f dx = dm v^^2 (using dx = v dt).  But kinetic energy added
to (or carried by) the dirt is only (1/2) dm v^^2.  Where's the other
half?

estell@m.cs.uiuc.edu (06/04/89)

When doing the "one charged, one uncharged capacitor shorting" experiment,
get yourself an AM radio, tune it to a frequency unused in your area, and
place it close to the capacitors.  It's the best way to prove to doubting
students that the energy lost is mainly in the form of EMR.  (For additional
fun, use an AM/FM radio and do the demo twice....!)