[sci.electronics] Any suggestions for building a limiter for my stereo? GRRRR!

mark@motcsd.UUCP (Mark Jeghers) (06/07/89)

In article <684@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> collinge@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Doug Collinge) writes:
>>The real answer is evading you all. Music is not a decoration, like wallpaper.
>>Background music is a tool of the Devil. Music in the car is a travesty.
>
>As a musician and composer I have to second this sentiment.  I deplore
>the attitude that music is some kind of pleasant substance to be paid
>for by the hour.  But I guess I have an axe to grind...

[flame on]

What *IS* this prima-donna bullsh*t?!?!  I originally posted a request for
input on what design I should use to build a limiter!  I did NOT ask if
anyone though it was an abuse of the arts to play music in the car (or at
home with limited volume)!  I also did not ask for cocksure morons to say
"well, duuuuh, if you don't want dynamic range, duuuuh, get a record player"!

Please route the discussions about how music should be listened to somewhere
else, like net.prima.donna!

[flame off]

sigh...okay, now...let me repeat myself.  I plan to use the compresser half
of a compander chip.  The slope may be either variable or fixed, but for sure
between 1:1 and 2:1.  Does this seem like a sound implementation?  How about
the NE570/571 chip by Signetics?  No, I don't want to make tapes through my
VCR.  Do any people out there have suggestions or ideas about this?
--
Mark Jeghers                       "I'm the King of Eight and I'm here to state
Motorola Computer Systems              that everything here has to total eight!

eberger@godot.psc.edu (Ed Berger) (06/08/89)

In article <388@greek.UUCP> mark@greek.UUCP (Mark Jeghers) writes:
>of a compander chip.  The slope may be either variable or fixed, but for sure
>between 1:1 and 2:1.  Does this seem like a sound implementation?  How about
>the NE570/571 chip by Signetics?  No, I don't want to make tapes through my
>VCR.  Do any people out there have suggestions or ideas about this?

Look into the parts manuals for the chips, they usually have application notes,
or look in old issues of Radio-Electronics for compander articles, and of course
Audio Amateur magazine for compander articles, most use the signetic chips.
An Automatic Level control circuit may also do the job for you.  There may
be some application notes in Parts manuals from National Semiconductor also,
but I haven't looked in quite a while.

My recently aquired "Radiotron Designers Manual" circa 1942, has some circuits
for expanders and compressors, if you don't mind using vacuum tubes instead...
:-)

bill@videovax.tv.Tek.com (William K. McFadden) (06/09/89)

In article <388@greek.UUCP> mark@greek.UUCP (Mark Jeghers) writes:
->sigh...okay, now...let me repeat myself.  I plan to use the compresser half
->of a compander chip.  The slope may be either variable or fixed, but for sure
->between 1:1 and 2:1.  Does this seem like a sound implementation?  How about
->the NE570/571 chip by Signetics?  No, I don't want to make tapes through my
->VCR.  Do any people out there have suggestions or ideas about this?

Look in the Signetics Linear Data Book.  AN-174 describes a compressor-expander
that is continuously variable from 2:1 compression to 1:2 expansion.  Since the
NE570 has two companders, you only need one for stereo.  Check it out.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: bill@videovax.Tek.com,  {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill