[sci.electronics] ATV

bb@trsvax.UUCP (06/05/89)

Thank you for your input on TV RF transmission.  I have already started
studying for my technicians FCC license, study material was obtained from
my local Radio Shack store.

I might mention that the primary reason I am looking into this is the hopes
of putting a camera in a remote control airplane.  There are other potential
uses if that is not successful but that is my goal.  I have found several
dealers who deal in security cameras that sell B&W cameras that measure
as small as 2x2x3 inches for about $600.  The problem is getting the
transmitter.  I want to do this all legally, so I am curious is it illegal
to sell TV RF transmitters even to licensed ameteurs?

Also, in the July 1989 issue of Radio Electronics magazine they actually
have an article on building your own TV transmitter.  I have built a digital
volt meter from kit before, but this looked a bit more difficult.  I am
also skeptical of any plans for devices that are in magazines, I have found
the output quality of some of them to be very poor.  Has anyone out there
built the kit described in Radio Electronics magazine?  If so, how difficut
was it and how well did it work?

By the way, I am hoping to find a transmitter that weighs under 4 oz.
The camera weighs about 6 oz. and the batteries will be about 6 oz giving
a total weight of about 1 lb. which can easily be carried by a large
R/C airplane powered by a .60 sized engine.

mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) (06/08/89)

From article <190700041@trsvax>, by bb@trsvax.UUCP:
> I might mention that the primary reason I am looking into this is the hopes
> of putting a camera in a remote control airplane.  There are other potential
> uses if that is not successful but that is my goal.  I have found several
> dealers who deal in security cameras that sell B&W cameras that measure
> as small as 2x2x3 inches for about $600.  The problem is getting the
> transmitter.  I want to do this all legally, so I am curious is it illegal
> to sell TV RF transmitters even to licensed ameteurs?

Excellent!  That's an old fantasy of mine, and I'm glad there is someone
with the RC airplane experience to try it!  Ultimately we might imagine
being able to pan and zoom the camera and sending altitude, attitude and
airspeed telemetry down to a computer for a completely virtual flying
experience!  Do keep us posted on how it goes.

It is perfectly legal for anyone to buy or sell amateur radio equipment.
It's just very illegal for a non-licensed person to use it.  However, many
manufacturers and dealers will only sell to hams who show their license
or who can be found in the callbook, just to cut out the pirates.
Not because of any law, that's their private choice.  That practice is
a bit controversial in some circles, because people studying for their
ham ticket often would like to buy the gear first to have a receiver
to listen to code on.  (Please, net, let's not start that discussion again.)

I saw a nice commercial ATV rig at a hamfest last weekend, being shown by
the manufacturer, AEA.  It is around 6" by 8" by 2".  Another company,
I believe the name is Arcadia, sells boxes and also printed circuit modules
that may be easier to install in the aircraft.  They advertise in QST.

Also, many cities have ATV clubs that might be able to help you out.
Try calling your local radio store or asking around.

Best of luck with your excellent project.
--
Michael Butts, Research Engineer       KC7IT           503-626-1302
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton, OR 97005

steve@eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) (06/09/89)

In article <1989Jun7.103650.2946@mntgfx.mentor.com> mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) writes:
>From article <190700041@trsvax>, by bb@trsvax.UUCP:
>> I might mention that the primary reason I am looking into this is the hopes
>> of putting a camera in a remote control airplane.  ...

>Excellent!  That's an old fantasy of mine, and I'm glad there is someone
>with the RC airplane experience to try it!  Ultimately we might imagine
>being able to pan and zoom the camera and sending altitude, attitude and
>airspeed telemetry down to a computer for a completely virtual flying
>experience!  Do keep us posted on how it goes.

   Several people have been flying TV equipped model aircraft for many
years.  There are a pair that fly out of the Whittier Narrows field
in the LA area that have been competing with each other for in fanciness
and bells & whistles.  One put in a camera, the other upgraded to a color
camera, and so it goes.  They've used both telemetry and split screen
optics to include on-board instruments in the camera field.

   You may be able to get in touch with these guys through the San Gabriel
Valley Radio Control Club.  I don't have their address, but you should
be able to get it from the Academy of Model Aeronautics.  Check any model
aircraft magazine for their address or phone number.  They can also
provide you with info on other groups who are working on similar projects.

   BTW, the May issue of Model Aviation (the AMAs pub) includes an extensive
article on remotely piloted vehicles (RPVs), with particular attention
devoted to model aircraft spin-offs.  I'm sure you'd find it interesting.
--

						   Steve
					(the certified flying fanatic)

vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) (06/12/89)

In article <1989Jun7.103650.2946@mntgfx.mentor.com> mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) writes:
   From article <190700041@trsvax>, by bb@trsvax.UUCP:
   > I might mention that the primary reason I am looking into this is the hopes
   > of putting a camera in a remote control airplane.  There are other potential
   > uses if that is not successful but that is my goal.  I have found several
   > dealers who deal in security cameras that sell B&W cameras that measure
   > as small as 2x2x3 inches for about $600.  The problem is getting the
   > transmitter.  I want to do this all legally, so I am curious is it illegal
   > to sell TV RF transmitters even to licensed ameteurs?

   Excellent!  That's an old fantasy of mine, and I'm glad there is someone
   with the RC airplane experience to try it!  Ultimately we might imagine
   being able to pan and zoom the camera and sending altitude, attitude and
   airspeed telemetry down to a computer for a completely virtual flying
   experience!  Do keep us posted on how it goes.

I have had this as a project on the back burner for severl years.
Recently DAK has advertised a Uniden mono camera and monitor combo for
$159.  It uses 3 cond zip cord to connect the two and provide power.
I bought one and was not disappointed.  It is very simple, fixed focus
and weighs 7 oz with the case.  Taking it apart it gets smaller and
lighter (build into body of plane?!).

It runs on 12v (actuall I think it had a 5 volt regulator in it so it
may run on less).  The monitor is very small and runs on 12 volts.

Drawbacks:  The sensitivity and resolution are not great but it is
fine for well lit scenes.  It is also only black and white.  Well, for
$150 you can't expect too much.

I have talked to an RC friend and we may get together when I get a
transmitter.  I plan on using the R7000 and this little 12v monitor to
recieve.

"The crux of the biscuit, is the apostrophe" -- This is the dog talking...
 _____
 -----