[sci.electronics] miniature FM stereo radio

lharris@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Leonard Harris) (06/08/89)

Does anyone know of a single chip (or small component part count) to build
a FM stereo radio that could drive a pair of headphones?  I have seen
those credit card size radios but they are too expensive and besides - I
like to hack around.
Thanks
/leonard

kawaguch@girtab.usc.edu (Atsushi Kawaguchi) (06/08/89)

In article <1989Jun7.204321.225@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> lharris@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Leonard Harris) writes:
>Does anyone know of a single chip (or small component part count) to build
>a FM stereo radio that could drive a pair of headphones?  I have seen
>those credit card size radios but they are too expensive and besides - I
>like to hack around.
>Thanks
>/leonard

I was looking into making FM stereo rcvr just a few days ago too.
Went to Radio Shack, they have one chip FM receiver with little support
parts (~10 R & C), and requires little or no caliberation.  But it's
only a mono receiver, not stereo.  Chip costs ~$6.
Looked into IC master, a chip that looked good was Signetics' TDA7020T.
It can be used for both stereo and mono FM, and I think it's got auto mute.
Very little support components, and only 1 alignment is necessary.
It can drive earphone w/ built in amp in mono application only.

I don't know where you can get it (JDR, Hamilton-Avnet, call & find out).

-Jun
 *************   Atsushi Jun Kawaguchi
*    U.S.C.   *  INTERNET: kawaguch@girtab.usc.edu
*   Computer  *
*   Science   *

heller@crd.ge.com (Aaron J. Heller) (06/16/89)

*
*I was looking into making FM stereo rcvr just a few days ago too.
*Went to Radio Shack, they have one chip FM receiver with little support
*parts (~10 R & C), and requires little or no caliberation.  But it's
*only a mono receiver, not stereo.  Chip costs ~$6.
*Looked into IC master,a chip that looked good was Signetics' TDA7020T.

Another solution is to use an LM1800, a one chip stereo decoder.  These
are readily available and work very well.
--
Aaron Heller  (heller@crd.ge.com   uunet!crd.ge.com!heller)