[sci.electronics] How to Hack Payphones

barry@arthur.uchicago.edu (06/07/89)

A friend recently showed me a "technique" for making free phone
calls from a payphone.

I don't want to promote this method---I just want to know what
how the phone hardware/software allows this to occur.

Let me try to describe it---it's difficult without visual aids,
but hopefully you will know what I am talking about.

step (1): get paper clip, and straighten it out.
step (2): puncture the metal cover that is underneath the
          part of the phone you speak into---specifically, poke
          it through the hole closest to where the cord connects
          to the receiver.
step (3): insert paper clip into the puncture, and scratch the exposed
          end against a metal surface while dialing your number.

[Note: I have not been able to do this succesfully myself---but a random
sampling of three payphones in the U of Chicago Science Library found
that all three had the tell-tale hole of step (2).]

So---How does it work? (And does it work?)

Thanks,
Barry Merriman
Grad Student, U of Chicago Math
barry@zaphod.uchicago.edu

jeffw@midas.STS.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (06/08/89)

In article <3685@tank.uchicago.edu> barry@arthur.uchicago.edu () writes:

>A friend recently showed me a "technique" for making free phone
>calls from a payphone...

>[Note: I have not been able to do this succesfully myself---but a random
>sampling of three payphones in the U of Chicago Science Library found
>that all three had the tell-tale hole of step (2).]

One hypothesis which springs to mind is that your friend has had a lot of
fun telling different people his story and watching them go around making
holes in pay phones. Better be careful - maybe he makes his money collecting
rewards for reporting phone vandalism.   :-)

							Jeff Winslow

mesmo@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chris Johnson) (06/08/89)

	Another interesting phone mini-hack: back in high school,
	our pay phone could be dialed for free byy rapidly clicking
	the hang-up toggle in the pulse-pattern of the number you
	wished to dial.

	Interesting & cheap, too.  Haven't tried this in a while,
	any ideas why pulse-dialing isn't disabled from touch tone
	payphones (at least that one) ?

	p.s. the phone company is your friend, don't do the preceding
	illegal thing if you can avoid it.
 Chris M Johnson === mesmo@portia.stanford.edu === "Grad school sucks rocks"
            "Imitation is the sincerest form of plagiarism" -- ALF

In article <3685@tank.uchicago.edu>, barry@arthur.uchicago.edu writes:
> A friend recently showed me a "technique" for making free phone
> calls from a payphone.
>
> I don't want to promote this method---I just want to know what
> how the phone hardware/software allows this to occur.
>
> step (1): get paper clip, and straighten it out.
> step (2): puncture the metal cover that is underneath the
>           part of the phone you speak into---specifically, poke
>           it through the hole closest to where the cord connects
>           to the receiver.
> step (3): insert paper clip into the puncture, and scratch the exposed
>           end against a metal surface while dialing your number.
>
> [Note: I have not been able to do this succesfully myself---but a random
> sampling of three payphones in the U of Chicago Science Library found
> that all three had the tell-tale hole of step (2).]
>
> So---How does it work? (And does it work?)

	It is indeed possible for this to work under most circumstances
where: (1) coin telephone is a "traditional" 1C2 or equivalent single-slot
coin telephone set arranged for dial tone first (DTF) service; and (2) the
central office (CO) apparatus is AT&T or Northern Telcom.

	In a DTF coin telephone the dial and talk circuit is enabled upon
picking up the handset, without requiring any coin deposit.  The user can
proceed to dial a number forthwith.  If the dialed number is a "free" call
(such as operator, directory assistance, 911 or 800-number), the call can
proceed with no coin.  If the dialed number is a local call requiring a coin
deposit, the user may be allowed to complete dialing of the entire number.
The CO apparatus identifies the dialed prefix and verifies that it is a
local call; it then tests for an "initial rate" coin deposit.  If the
initial rate deposit is made, the call completes; if there is no money
or insufficient money, the call is routed to an intercept recorder which
informs the user to hang up, deposit the initial rate, and dial again.

	The CO apparatus detects the deposit of the initial rate by means
of a ground placed on the line by the coin telephone circuit.  This ground
is balanced between tip and ring, so that no hum (caused by longitudinal
imbalance) is introduced into the talk and DTMF dialing circuit.

	The coin telephone contains a "totalizer" circuit, which is an
electromechanical device (aided by some solid-state circuitry and relays)
that counts the value of the deposited coins, and provides a contact
closure when the initial rate is achieved.

	The above fraudulent call technique works by spoofing the ground
placed on the line by the totalizer circutry in the coin telephone.  While
shorting one lead of the carbon transmitter to ground does not produce a
balanced ground (thereby resulting in hum on the line), it will usually
result in a condition which will permit DTMF dialing.  Depending upon
the particular CO apparatus, the ground needs to be present as soon as
the first three digits of the call are dialed (if pre-translation is used),
or within milliseconds of the last digit being dialed (if pre-translation
is not used).

	Needless to say, the above technique results in damage to the
carbon transmitter, and is therefore unlawful not only from the standpoint
of the fraud itself, but from the standpoint of causing damage to the
coin telephone.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP   {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  TEL  716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<>  FAX  716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488     "Have you hugged your cat today?"

In article <2803@portia.Stanford.EDU>, mesmo@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chris Johnson) writes:
> 	Another interesting phone mini-hack: back in high school,
> 	our pay phone could be dialed for free by rapidly clicking
> 	the hang-up toggle in the pulse-pattern of the number you
> 	wished to dial.

	This would only work in older multi-slot coin telephones arranged for
for pre-pay service.  Depositing a coin places a ground on the telephone
pair (balanced between tip and ring), in addition to removing a short
bridged across the dial pulsing contacts, therefore enabling the dial.

	Since a pre-pay coin telephone line is similar to a ground-start
line, momemtarily grounding the line by piercing the handset cord or
transmitter with a sharp object connected to the telephone housing will
result in dial tone without the use of a coin.  Since the dial is disabled
without a coin, rapid switchhook operation can be used to create dialing
pulses.

	While the above method of operation is also true for 1A-type and
1C-type single-slot coin telephones arranged for pre-pay operation, I
do not believe it is possible to "pulse-dial" the switchhook on these
style coin telephones due to its different mechanical design (obviously
intentional!).

> 	Interesting & cheap, too.  Haven't tried this in a while,

	Since this method of fraud only applies to pre-pay coin telephones,
which are becoming almost non-existant in most areas of the country, it
isn't going to work on very many telephones.

> 	any ideas why pulse-dialing isn't disabled from touch tone
> 	payphones (at least that one) ?

	While it is possible to block rotary dialing in some ESS central
office apparatus, there really is no need to do so with dial tone first (DTF)
coin telephone service since the telephone user IS ALWAYS permitted to dial
the initial call.

> 	p.s. the phone company is your friend

	That's a debatable statement. :-)

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (06/10/89)

From article <3685@tank.uchicago.edu>, by barry@arthur.uchicago.edu:

> A friend recently showed me a "technique" for making free phone
> calls from a payphone.

This might work on coin stations connected to ground-start only
service, but not on modern setups. Of course, it worked
fine in "War Games" for David Lightman, but then...

The older stations put the carbon transmitter directly across
the phone pair and it modulated the current flowing through it;
the paper clip gives you direct access to the phone pair.

By shorting the carbon transmitter to ground, the CO
is fooled into thinking either proper payment has been
deposited or that an initial deposit has been made,
depending on the class of service and the total amount required.

Modern arrangements require both the ground-start pulse to
validate the inital deposit and the tone signalling used to
indicate the total amount deposited, so in most places it
ain't as simple as you described. The joys of steppers...

You didn't mention whether or not these phones are 3-slotters
or 1-slotters. I am curious if there are any 3-slotters
left in Chi-town.

--
Bote
uunet!cyclops!csense!bote

rdsnyder@mit-amt (Ross D. Snyder) (06/11/89)

In article <3218@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> In article <2803@portia.Stanford.EDU>, mesmo@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chris Johnson) writes:
> > 	Another interesting phone mini-hack: back in high school,
> > 	our pay phone could be dialed for free by rapidly clicking
> > 	the hang-up toggle in the pulse-pattern of the number you
> > 	wished to dial.
>
> 	While the above method of operation is also true for 1A-type and
> 1C-type single-slot coin telephones arranged for pre-pay operation, I
> do not believe it is possible to "pulse-dial" the switchhook on these
> style coin telephones due to its different mechanical design (obviously
> intentional!).

That's right.  The 1C-type, and probably the 1A-type, paystations have a
mercury switch in the switchhook mechanism, so when you try to "switchhook
dial," the mercury splashes all over the inside of the mercury switch.

Also, since the single-slot DTF paystations are connected to ACTS (stands for
some combination of automatic/automated coin toll/telephone service/system;
telco personnel are so reliant on acronyms that even they usually don't know
exactly what the acronyms stand for and will make something up if you ask.),
even if you connect a lineman's butt-in test set across tip & ring and dial,
you will only hear ACTS begging for money.

> > 	any ideas why pulse-dialing isn't disabled from touch tone
> > 	payphones (at least that one) ?
>
> 	While it is possible to block rotary dialing in some ESS central
> office apparatus, there really is no need to do so with dial tone first (DTF)
> coin telephone service since the telephone user IS ALWAYS permitted to dial
> the initial call.

Also, telcos like to keep pulse dialing enabled on all of there lines since
most IRT's (installation and repair technicians) and especially cablemen,
who are at risk of dropping their butt-in test set into a few feet of muddy
water at the bottom of a manhole, prefer a more robust buttinski, such as the
classic Western Electric 1013B which has no DTMF capability, to the cheesier
all-electronic buttinskis that have appeared in the last few years.

> <>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp

By the way, Larry, could I get a copy of your BSP's on the WECO 24V4 rptr that
you mentioned a few months ago to someone interested in building a phone patch.
I have several 24V4C's and need to know the batt & gnd connections.  I tried
sending e-mail, but got no reply.  Thanks.
-Ross

NU128880@NDSUVM1.BITNET (06/16/89)

The pulse-emulation method of dialing a telephone is often a useful thing
to know.  At my father's workplace, the company put a telephone lock on the
office phone.  The lock was basically a cover over the touch-tone keys
and didn't allow dial access.  They had put the lock on due to company
abuses in long distance calls.  My dad always used to the phone to call
home to let my mom know when he would be in (a local charge).  I taught
him the pulse dialing method.  No real fraud, no one is wiser, and
that's all...

Steve J. Frank    nu128880@ndsuvm1

hughes@math.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) (06/17/89)

In article <3838@mit-amt>, rdsnyder@mit-amt (Ross D Snyder) writes:
>Also, since the single-slot DTF paystations are connected to ACTS (stands for
>some combination of automatic/automated coin toll/telephone service/system;
>telco personnel are so reliant on acronyms that even they usually don't know
>exactly what the acronyms stand for and will make something up if you ask.),

ACTS stands for Automated Coin Toll Service.  (The correct one out of eight
choices ;-).

Eric Hughes
hughes@math.berkeley.edu   ucbvax!math!hughes