[sci.electronics] ATV in Model Airplanes

waters@dover.sps.mot.com (Strawberry Jammer) (06/16/89)

In article <1989Jun7.103650.2946@mntgfx.mentor.com> mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) writes:
>From article <190700041@trsvax>, by bb@trsvax.UUCP:
>> I might mention that the primary reason I am looking into this is the hopes
>> of putting a camera in a remote control airplane.

>Excellent!  That's an old fantasy of mine, and I'm glad there is someone
>with the RC airplane experience to try it!  Ultimately we might imagine
>being able to pan and zoom the camera and sending altitude, attitude and
>airspeed telemetry down to a computer for a completely virtual flying
>experience!  Do keep us posted on how it goes.

Its a fantasy of mine too, but I have played with enough RC planes to spot
a couple of problems. Number 1 is the extremely severe vibration that
anything mounted in an RC plane gets. I have seen estimates of 150Gs!

I would suspect that you would need some very careful isolation mounts as
well as a very rugged camera. Even so the picture would probably only be
useable with the engine idling.

The other major problems are: RFI to the RC receiver - low power and the
need for a UHF link should solve most of this, but you might have to wrap
foil around the servo leads.
     You will need one to fly and one to look unless it is a VERY stable
airplane - I would suggest a Telemaster. Big slow and stable!
     The expense of a crash/fly away gets pretty steep too, but with some
experience this shouldn't be too big a risk.

As for the legal aspects, provded you don't use it for spying or snooping
on anything secret (military bases etc.) I can't think of any problems.
Check QST for ATV gear ads.

And DO keep us all posted - it sounds like a great idea!

--
           *Mike Waters    AA4MW/7  waters@dover.sps.mot.com *
According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/17/89)

For what it's worth RadioElectronics ran an ATV transmitter article
last month.