[sci.electronics] Looking for lasers

thayer@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Thayer) (06/26/89)

  I am looking for parts that would be relevant to laser communication.
Does anyone know of good sources for lasers, laser parts and the related
optics, especially in New York City, as well as tips on using lasers for
telecommunications over relatively short distances (ie 1,000 feet.)

 _ _ _                      _ _ _
' ) ) )                    ' ) ) )        _/_ Charles Thayer
 / / / __________    _      / / / _  __.  /   ui consultant CUCCA
/ ' (_(_) (_)  \_)__</_    / ' (_</_(_/|_<__  Columbia University
--------------------------------------------  thayer@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
Any opions expressed above are my own and not related to Columbia
University's Center for Computing Activities.....................

caesar@otis.DAB.GE.COM (Bob Caesar) (06/28/89)

In article <1624@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> thayer@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Thayer) writes:

>  I am looking for parts that would be relevant to laser communication.
>Does anyone know of good sources for lasers, laser parts and the related
>optics, especially in New York City, as well as tips on using lasers for
>telecommunications over relatively short distances (ie 1,000 feet.)

Last month's _Radio_Electronics_ magizine has an article on building
a telecommunication device that uses HP's high output LEDs.  I think
the design worked at the distances you mentioned.  Send me e-mail
if you need more info.

--
 Robert J. Caesar Jr. <caesar@ge-dab.ge.com>  General Electric Company
 UUCP: ...!mcnc!ge-rtp!ge-dab!caesar       Simulation & Control Systems Dept.