[sci.electronics] TeleTex/VideoTex to ASCII

makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (06/27/89)

I've been thinking about an interesting project: building a "modem" for
transferring the TeleTex/VideoTex information sent between the television
picture frames into a computer.
I have obtained some spec sheets of chips to do this, of some demodulator
circuits etc. but I am stuck because the decoder chips are basically mask
ROM-programmed microprocessors for use inside a television -- therefore
almost useless for this stuff.
I would NOT like to start from scratch, so -- ideas, anyone ?

Otto J. Makela, University of Jyvaskyla
InterNet: makela@tukki.jyu.fi, BitNet: MAKELA_OTTO_@FINJYU.BITNET
BBS: +358 41 211 562 (V.22bis/V.22/V.21, 24h/d), Phone: +358 41 613 847
Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE

"In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying
about had reached a nearly unbelievable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the
mother of the boy, Paul." - Frank Herbert, Dune

rmohr@infoac.rmi.de (Rupert Mohr) (07/01/89)

makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:

>I've been thinking about an interesting project: building a "modem" for
>transferring the TeleTex/VideoTex information sent between the television
>picture frames into a computer.
>I have obtained some spec sheets of chips to do this, of some demodulator
>circuits etc. but I am stuck because the decoder chips are basically mask
>ROM-programmed microprocessors for use inside a television -- therefore
>almost useless for this stuff.
>I would NOT like to start from scratch, so -- ideas, anyone ?

There is a project (working!) here in Germany with the
Westdeutscher Rundfunk Cologne
They transfer data via videotex.
You may write to

WDR
Computer Club
Appelhofplatz 1
D-5000 Koeln
Germany

Regards
Rupert
My opinion may be the opinion of my company.
uucp: rmohr@infoac.rmi.de		FAX: 49 241 3 28 22

frank@ut-emx.UUCP (Frank Abernathy) (07/02/89)

> > makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
> >I've been thinking about an interesting project: building a "modem" for
> >transferring the TeleTex/VideoTex information sent between the television
> >picture frames into a computer.
> >    SOME STUFF DELETED.
> >I would NOT like to start from scratch, so -- ideas, anyone ?

I'm sorry I don't have the original info anymore, but if you call
(513)-763-5697 in the USA you should be able to get them so send info
on their plug in board for converting the TELETEX stuff into ascii to be
stored on your IBM compatible disk.  Seems to me the cost was about $350.
good luck
frank