[sci.electronics] Trying

vijay@albanycs.Albany.Edu (Vijay Vaidyanathan) (06/25/89)

My Fisher amp began smokin a while back and the only component
that looks "smoky" is a thingy that looks like a Transistor, and
is bound to a Heat Sink. The number on it is D 612 K and has the
letters EL printed near one leg and "2" near another. Nothing near
middle leg. The IC Master that I had access to came up with nothing.

Can some kind experienced netter tell me what this chip is and whether
there is an equivalent number I can ask for at Radio Shack ? (They hadn
heard of this either).

Sorry if this is the inappropriate group (or an inappropriate Query!),
but no harm intended. Will absorb all constructive flaming attacks.

Thanks.

- Vijay
-------
vijay@cssun.albany.edu
vijay@albanycs.albany.edu
-------------------------

pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) (06/25/89)

In article <320@albanycs.Albany.Edu> vijay@albanycs.Albany.Edu (Vijay Vaidyanathan) writes:
>My Fisher amp began smokin a while back and the only component
>that looks "smoky" is a thingy that looks like a Transistor, and
>is bound to a Heat Sink. The number on it is D 612 K and has the
>letters EL printed near one leg and "2" near another. Nothing near

 I don't know what it is, but I have a suggestion. Write the model number
 down and find a Sam's Photofact for it. If it's an old amp, you may be
 able to find the Photofact in the library. This will help you identify
 the component, may help you identify why it failed (if it did). I have
 to say that the chances of resurrecting a dead amp by replacing one
 component that "looks smoky" are not great. Sometimes it works, more
 often not. If you find the part you are looking for, consider the very
 real possibility that the replacement will burn out also, it may have
 failed as a result of another problem.

 I couple of wild guesses: 1-shorted speaker output, 2-leaky electrolytic cap.

>Thanks.

You're welcome, I hope it's some help.

--
Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)                  OnTyme:NSC.P/Nelson
Tymnet, McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Company       Voice:408-922-7508

tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) (06/25/89)

In article <320@albanycs.Albany.Edu> vijay@albanycs.Albany.Edu (Vijay Vaidyanathan) writes:
>My Fisher amp began smokin a while back and the only component
>that looks "smoky" is a thingy that looks like a Transistor, and
>is bound to a Heat Sink. The number on it is D 612 K and has the
>letters EL printed near one leg and "2" near another. Nothing near

It's a 2SD612 transistor, $1.03 each from MCM Electronics, for one possible
supplier.  SK series probably has an equivalent, too.

That device is probably the positive DC supply regulating pass transistor.
Other components in the supply need to be checked, or the output stage may
have a problem causing tremendous current flow.  Either way, it's likely to
be a symptom, not a cause.

--------------------------\ /------------------------------------------
INTERNET:tindle@ms.uky.edu | "I heard you." -Kirk
BITNET:tindle@ukma.bitnet  | "He simply could not believe his ears."
Ken Tindle - Lexington, KY | -Spock, The Trouble With Tribbles
--------------------------/ \------------------------------------------

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (06/27/89)

When folks write to the NET about "Unknown parts" or the likes, it would help
those of us willing and quite capable of identifying them if the
original post would contain MODEL numbers to the equipment, and perhaps
part designation (like "R404") etc that is normally printed on most consumer
elctronics circuit boards. Burnt parts with partial numbers to a generic
"FISHER AMP" mean nothing until a model number (i.E. A FISHER FS-505 200 WATT
per channel amplifier or a HEAD-BANGER model #HB-1999) is given.

TRY AGAIN

	-Mike
= Mike Carter  N7GYX, Phoenix AZ| Q: Why did the Chicken cross the road  ?  =
= hplabs!hp-sdd!crash!xroads!wiz| A: To ESCape the Main Menu .              =

zahid@neptune.AMD.COM (Zahid Ahsanullah) (07/01/89)

In article <320@albanycs.Albany.Edu> vijay@albanycs.Albany.Edu (Vijay Vaidyanathan) writes:
>My Fisher amp began smokin a while back and the only component
>that looks "smoky" is a thingy that looks like a Transistor, and
>is bound to a Heat Sink. The number on it is D 612 K and has the
>letters EL printed near one leg and "2" near another. Nothing near
>middle leg. The IC Master that I had access to came up with nothing.
>
>Thanks.
>
>- Vijay

Try locating a japanese 2SD612. Its possible that this is a power
transister. Usually the japanese configuration are 2sa,2sb,2sc,2sd
with two or more number attached to the end of this prefix. The
short form for 2sd218 would be d218.

				regards
				Zahid

brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) (07/03/89)

My Newtone xref crosses the 2SD612K to an NTE184; this is listed as a
Silicon NPN in a TO-126 case. 4A IC, 80V BVcbo/ceo, 4V BVebo, hFE 25
(min), 40W PD, 2MHz FT.  They're also available as the NTE184MP, a
matched pair.

NTE replacements are typically found in radio/tv service supply shops;
for comsumer equipment repair they're usually quite good enough.
	- Brian