[sci.electronics] Touchtones

<3237@kitty.UUCP>
In article <3237@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>    The original DTMF dial design was an _extremely_ clever design
>which employed only one germanium transistor with a dual resonant tank
>circuit to simultaneously oscillate at two frequencies.

A bit off the subject, but does anyone have a list of the frequencies of each
number on the keypad? Email would be fine, if only to cut down on multiple
postings. I will post the list later.

Please help.
Thanx

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
I'm the person your mother warned you about.

[I asked for a list of the touch tone frequencies]
[   I promised to summarize for the net          ]

Thanks to Brian Link and Ronald Buttiglieri for the table below:

                     697 Hz    [1]   [2]   [3]   [A]

                     770 Hz    [4]   [5]   [6]   [B]
low group
frequencies          852 Hz    [7]   [8]   [9]   [C]

                     941 Hz    [*]   [0]   [#]   [D]

                              1209  1336  1477  1633
                               Hz    Hz    Hz    Hz

                                 high group frequencies

Touch-tones are two frequencies sounded together for each button pressed.
For example [1] will sound 697hz and 1209hz.

[A]-[D] are part of the touchtone standard but are presently unused.

Thanks for the help guys.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Help fight continental drift.

In article <860@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>[A]-[D] are part of the touchtone standard but are presently unused.

If you really want to embarrass a modem manufacturer, ask them if their
modems can dial A-D.  (Some of them can't even dial "*" and "#"!)
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dl@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (07/02/89)

> Article <1989Jul1.223548.27654@utzoo.uucp> From: henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer)

# In article <860@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
# >[A]-[D] are part of the touchtone standard but are presently unused.
Ahhem,
Not QUITE true. Autovon (the 4 wire military telephone system that
somehow achieves standards of audio level, crosstalk, and dead
connections previously available only with string and Dixie
cups) uses them. They are labeled Priority, Immediate, Flash,
and Flash Override. Their function is to bump some grunt off
the net to allow the bigbrass to talk. FO is only for use of
war or cold pizza at the General's house.

brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) (07/03/89)

In an article, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>If you really want to embarrass a modem manufacturer, ask them if their
>modems can dial A-D.  (Some of them can't even dial "*" and "#"!)

And then there's the USR 1200 bps modems we had here that dial a '#' when
you tell them to dial a '*' and vice-versa.  Newer firmware fixed
that, but strangely enough that fix isn't on their list of firmware
revisions.  I'd be embarrased to admit it too.
	- Brian