[sci.electronics] New Sony A/D Chip?

charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) (07/06/89)

Rumor has it that Sony has a new A/D converter chip based on sigma delta
technology.  Two questions: 1) Does anybody out there in net land know
about said chip? 2) Is Sony planning to introduce a new product using
this chip in the near future?

Sony's current A/D technology is sort of old and requires an 80 MHz clock
and multiple components for implementation but is nonetheless used in
their 2500 model DAT machine.

Thanks in advance..

Charlie Thompson
Austin, TX

mdeale@mira.acs.calpoly.edu (Myron Deale) (07/07/89)

In article <2181@radio.oakhill.UUCP> charlie@oakhill.UUCP (Charlie Thompson) writes:

>Rumor has it that Sony has a new A/D converter chip based on sigma delta
>technology.  Two questions: 1) Does anybody out there in net land know
>about said chip? 2) Is Sony planning to introduce a new product using
>this chip in the near future?
>
>Charlie Thompson

   I haven't heard anything about Sony parts, but Motorola and Crystal
Semiconductor have both announced ADC's for audio using sigma delta type
conversion, 16-bit resolution, and if I remember correctly both sample
at 50 KHz (the clock, of course, is around 4 MHz). They should be close
to production.

   At first I didn't like sigma delta type converters, until I found out
you don't need a sample/hold circuit nor analog filters. In addition, I
prefer Crystal Semi because they have on-chip calibration and I would
suspect they have this capacity in some form on their new chip.

Myron
<disclaimer.std>  I've no affiliation with either company ... and I
   apologize for having only nebulous info. If prompted, better info
   may be found.
// mdeale@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu