[sci.electronics] IC Analog Book

xboy@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (07/07/89)

I need to know what is considered as the best book/reference in
Analog IC design. I have been using Gray and Meyer book, but I do
believe others do exists.

Elie I. Mourad
elie@hertz.njit.edu
xboy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

ankleand@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Andrew Karanicolas) (07/08/89)

In article <18946@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> xboy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu () writes:
>I need to know what is considered as the best book/reference in
>Analog IC design. I have been using Gray and Meyer book, but I do
>believe others do exists.
>
>Elie I. Mourad
>elie@hertz.njit.edu
>xboy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

Fortunately, others books exist:

Grebene, Alan B., "Bipolar and MOS analog integrated circuit design"
	Wiley 1984

Gregorian & Temes, "Analog MOS integrated circuits for signal processing"
	Wiley 1986

Roberge, James K., "Operational amplifiers: theory and practice"
	Wiley 1975

Andy Karanicolas
MIT Microsystems Lab

ankleand@caf.mit.edu

33581544@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (07/14/89)

In article <2578@mit-caf.MIT.EDU>, Andrew Karanicolas writes:

| [In an earlier request,] xboy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
| >I need to know what is considered as the best book/reference in
| >Analog IC design. I have been using Gray and Meyer book ...
|
| Fortunately, others books exist:

I agree with Andrew.  Regrettably there are VERY few good books on this
subject.  (It is evidently not as easy to crank them out as, say, books
on design-of-digital-systems-using-microprocessors, or books with "VLSI"
in their titles).  I will presume to comment on Andrew's suggestions,
since he has presumed to make them publicly; and then add a couple more.

| Grebene, Alan B., "Bipolar and MOS analog integrated circuit design"
| 	Wiley 1984

-- Same size as Gray and Meyer and parallels it somewhat.  Bob Meyer,
as it happens, gave me his copy of this book.  More of an industrial
flavor and more emphasis on large circuits, like data converters.

| Gregorian & Temes, "Analog MOS integrated circuits for signal processing"
| 	Wiley 1986

-- Not fully up to date on MOS analog circuits but nothing in book form
is.  Chapter 7 on "Nonideal Effects" in switched-capacitor circuits is
invaluable, containing lots of they-don't-ever-tell-you-about-THAT
nasty realities designers need to know.

| Roberge, James K., "Operational amplifiers: theory and practice"
| 	Wiley 1975

Jim Roberge will certainly appreciate that I mean no disrespect when I
point out that this is not a book about integrated circuits at all, but
rather about bipolar-transistor analog circuits in generic terms, and
substantially about engineering well-behaved analog *feedback* circuits.

Now, further suggestions:  One of my favorite recent books is Tom
Frederiksen's _Intuitive Operational Amplifiers_ (Revised Ed.,
McGraw-Hill 1988).  It does a beautiful job of incorporating the
intuitive, creative side of circuits, unlike the others.  It is one of
a series on "Intuitive IC Electronics."  (I will nit-pick that Tom
slightly misattributes the genesis of the op-amp, even though he does
show the venerable K2-W schematic; and one or two of his "clever"
practical circuits have problems.  But these are small flukes indeed.)

Another outstanding reference, but maybe not an introductory text,
is Yannis Tsividis's _Operation and Modeling of the MOS Transistor_
(McGraw-Hill 1987).  Andrew K. may appreciate the connection that
Tsividis used early notes for it when he visited MIT for a term in
1980 to teach a special course on the subject.

Huijsing's volume on advanced bipolar-analog design (Delft, 1981,
privately published) and Seevinck's on translinear circuits are both
sought after by practitioners, but are difficult to get in the US.  I
have also omitted, deliberately, mentioning a few bad books that purport
to treat analog IC design.  Other good ones are due but not in print yet.

A response to the actual question -- what "is considered" the best book
on analog IC design -- depends, of course, on who is doing the
considering.  I've observed that, legitimate complaints notwithstanding,
Gray and Meyer (2nd ed.) remains the overwhelming favorite of industrial
analog IC designers and analog-IC faculty with substantial industrial contact
as the text of choice for a rigorous introductory course, so the original
questioner wasn't doing too badly already.  It is used in most of the major
mainstream analog-IC-design courses in this country, including those at
MIT, Illinois, Cornell, and several of the University of California sites.
If you know of a better text, please tell me.  (Or write one and publish
it!  I'll supply you with addresses of the appropriate editors by e-mail).

M. W. Hauser   /   max@london.ee.cornell.edu   /   607-255-2844

(If mail to me should bounce, PLEASE do not post it as a "substitute.")

Copyright (c) 1989 by Max W. Hauser; all rights reserved.