[sci.electronics] Looking for a source of discount/second hand pressure regulators

fiesta@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (eric.c.beck) (07/20/89)

I tried this on misc.wanted and got no response.  Here goes...

I'm looking for a refurbished, surplus, or used pressure regulator for
use with a 10 pound CO2 tank.  I believe a regulator capable of withstanding
2000 PSI of input pressure is suitable for this application.  A 30 to 50
PSI output pressure would be perfect for my application.

If you know of a supplier of discount or surplus regulators, or have
one that you want to part with, please let me know.

Thanks in advance...

	Eric Beck
	att!homxb!fiesta
	(201) 949-3302

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (07/21/89)

In article <423@cbnewsi.ATT.COM> fiesta@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (eric.c.beck) writes:
>I tried this on misc.wanted and got no response.  Here goes...
>
>I'm looking for a refurbished, surplus, or used pressure regulator for
>use with a 10 pound CO2 tank.

A new regulator should cost perhaps 30 bux so finding a used one is probably
not worth the trouble.  For suppliers try:

Welding Supply
Beer distributor
Softdrink distributor
Restaurant equipment distributor.

Hey, you wouldn't be growning some Mary-J-Wanny indoors and want to enrich
the atmosphere in your greenhouse would you.  That's what one of my customers
was doing one time.  Got the tank and regulator back from the police :-)

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You

In article <423@cbnewsi.ATT.COM>, fiesta@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (eric.c.beck) writes:
> I'm looking for a refurbished, surplus, or used pressure regulator for
> use with a 10 pound CO2 tank.  I believe a regulator capable of withstanding
> 2000 PSI of input pressure is suitable for this application.  A 30 to 50
> PSI output pressure would be perfect for my application.
>
> If you know of a supplier of discount or surplus regulators, or have
> one that you want to part with, please let me know.

	I'm sorry that I can't help you with any "discount" sources for
such a regulator, but I can provide you with some other information.

	In my travels, I see CO2 supplied in K, Q and F cylinders which
contain, respectively, about 3, 20 and 60 pounds of liquified gas under
a pressure of around 830 psig.  A lecture bottle contains about 0.5 pound
of CO2.  I don't know of any 10 pound cylinders, but this may be a size
used in the beverage industry.

	I would use caution before trying a surplus regulator on CO2,
unless either you or someone with experience _knows_ that the regulator
is good.  A defective regulator could, under the right circumstances,
cause injury.

	Some CO2 regulators are electrically heated to prevent freezing
in high volume delivery applications; you may wish to bear in mind that
a non-heated regulator can freeze in a CO2 application.

	Also, beware that some CO2 cylinders are designed for _liquid_
CO2 withdrawl, and consequently have internal eductor tubes.  Such a
tank would be inappropriate for use with a gas-phase regulator.  For
this very same reason, CO2 tanks for gas-phase withdrawl MUST be kept
upright - otherwise liquid CO2 will escape into the regulator with
highly undesireable results.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP   {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  TEL  716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<>  FAX  716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488     "Have you hugged your cat today?"