[sci.electronics] Remote Beepers info needed

Peter_Warren_Lee@cup.portal.com (07/19/89)

I'm looking for some technical info for a project I'm working on (or
thinking about working on anyway). What I'd like to do is set up a
computer to automatically answer a phone and if it hears a remote beeper
(like those telephone answering machine beepers),perform some preset
actions. The things I need to know are:
1. Would it be possible to use an existing answering machine to do the job.
2. What frequencies do those beepers operate at (just a general idea).
3. Has anyone already tried it?

bill@videovax.tv.Tek.com (William K. McFadden) (07/22/89)

In article <20592@cup.portal.com> Peter_Warren_Lee@cup.portal.com writes:
>What I'd like to do is set up a
>computer to automatically answer a phone and if it hears a remote beeper
>(like those telephone answering machine beepers),perform some preset
>actions. The things I need to know are:
>1. Would it be possible to use an existing answering machine to do the job.

Sounds reasonable.

>2. What frequencies do those beepers operate at (just a general idea).

Not sure, but they're easy to imitate.  Security can be a problem.

>3. Has anyone already tried it?

I haven't personally, but I have heard of people hooking up touch-tone decoder
chips and having the computer respond to a "secret code."  This would reduce
or eliminate the security problem because the code can be as many digits as
needed.  Two other advantages: no beeper required, multiple codes for multiple
actions.  Two disadvantages: rotary phones (requiring a handheld touch-tone
"beeper"), forgetting the code.  Radio Shack has a touch-tone decoder chip that
would probably work.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: bill@videovax.Tek.com,  {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill