[sci.electronics] Looking for vibration-noise abatement product

hughes@math.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) (06/17/89)

I have a pair of related problems I would like to get some advice on.
Both have to do with getting rid of various whines and buzzes induced
by various oscillations in my computer equipment.

The first is the flyback transformer in my CRT.  Occasionally it
whines pretty loudly, but a good whack on the side of the case makes
it go away.  Honest.  The other is an EMI/RFI filter and surge
protector which buzzes.  I've taken the case off and it looks like the
wire wound torroids are doing the buzzing.  Sometimes it is very loud,
other times not.

What I would like to find is some goop to spray on the components to
absorb and dissipate the vibration.  I would imagine that two
different products would be needed for the different frequencies
involved.  The surge protector is glued together and some liquid seems
to be the only way to get in contact with the torroid.  I have not
opened up the case of my CRT to see how the flyback is mounted.

Questions:  Is this approach feasible and safe?  Are there products
specifically designed for this, or will some common material suffice?

Any and all help appreciated.

Eric Hughes
hughes@math.berkeley.edu   ucbvax!math!hughes

In article <25538@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> hughes@math.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes)
writes:
>The first is the flyback transformer in my CRT.  Occasionally it
>whines pretty loudly, but a good whack on the side of the case makes
>it go away.  Honest.

This one seems to make the usenet rounds about once every 2 months or so. :-)

The high frequency noise is 15Khz as the flyback works the horizontal scanning
on the CRT. It is at a potential of 25KV. There is a substance called "Corona
Dope" available as a paint or spray that is a very good insulator. It is used
to repair leaking high voltage leads from the flyback to the CRT. You
might try to put some of this on the Flyback and its core to stop the
vibrations (noise).

Just make sure it is something with a high insulation value like corona dope.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
I'm the person your mother warned you about.

barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) (06/22/89)

Try RTV (Silicone sealant).  Many TV manufacturers use it in the High Voltage
circuits and, in general, to secure components.  Make sure it is cured
before you fire it up.

"Corona dope" can also be used.  It can be purchased at most
electronic supply stores that specialize in TV components.

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (07/22/89)

My dad used to have a TV repair business in Palo Alto.  He once was called
to fix a set that was making a high-pitched whine.  Even back then, my dad's
high-frequency hearing wasn't too good, so he couldn't hear the noise the lady
was complaining about.  He took off the back of the set and found that there
was a Coke bottle back there.  He figured the noise was coming from the high
voltage rectifier section (this was 30 years ago, before TV's had silicon
diodes), so he shoved the Coke bottle in among the tubes there.  The lady
said that fixed the problem!

I would guess that your problem is a bit similar.  You might see if you can
shove one or more toothpicks between the secondary of the flyback and the
flyback's core.  The toroids are probably mounted horizontally with a bolt
through the center, so maybe you can tighten the bolt (or shove in more tooth
picks).  You say the toroids are in your EMI filter and surge suppressor?
Then they shouldn't be buzzing.  You'd have to have a lot of EMI to make
one of those toroids flinch.  Are you sure you aren't looking at your DC
power supply?  Lots of switching power supplies produce irritating buzzes.