[sci.electronics] How do I make a notch filter with cable?

cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) (07/20/89)

Greetings,

	I am trying to make a sharp notch filter to cut out an overbearing
paging transmitter that swamps my PRO-2004 scanner on the VHF bands.  I
*think* I've read somewhere before about how one can cut a piece of cable
to a certain length and short it at the end to kill the frequency of said
wavelength.  Something like this...

         |<------------feed line cable length important??--------->|

Antenna  ------------------------------+---------------------------- Receiver
         ----------------------------+ | +--------------------------
                              ^      | | | \
                              |      | | |  \
         The length of this   |      | | |   \___location of BNC "T" connector
         "stub" is cut to the |      | | |       important??
         wavelength of the    |      | | |
         offending frequency  |      | | |
                              v      |_|_| <---Short center conductor to shield

The pager frequency is 152.4 Mhz.  So using the ol' ARRL handbook I get a
wavelength of 1.96 meters (length of the "stub").

Has anyone heard of this before?  I know it's cheap and dirty, but I'm not sure
if the location of the "T" along the feedline is important.  There's no mention
of this kind of filter in the handbook, but I'm sure I've seen it before.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Cliff Yamamoto

dvh@cci632.UUCP (David Hallidy) (07/21/89)

In article <4436@merlin.usc.edu>, cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
> Greetings,
>
> 	I am trying to make a sharp notch filter to cut out an overbearing
> paging transmitter that swamps my PRO-2004 scanner on the VHF bands.  I
> *think* I've read somewhere before about how one can cut a piece of cable
> to a certain length and short it at the end to kill the frequency of said
> wavelength.  Something like this...
>
>          |<------------feed line cable length important??--------->|
>
>          -----------------------------------------------------------
> Antenna  ------------------------------+---------------------------- Receiver
>          ----------------------------+ | +--------------------------
>                               ^      | | | \
>                               |      | | |  \
>          The length of this   |      | | |   \___location of BNC "T" connector
>          "stub" is cut to the |      | | |       important??
>          wavelength of the    |      | | |
>          offending frequency  |      | | |
>                               v      |_|_| <---Short center conductor to shield
>
> The pager frequency is 152.4 Mhz.  So using the ol' ARRL handbook I get a
> wavelength of 1.96 meters (length of the "stub").
>
> Has anyone heard of this before?  I know it's cheap and dirty, but I'm not sure
> if the location of the "T" along the feedline is important.  There's no mention
> of this kind of filter in the handbook, but I'm sure I've seen it before.
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
> Cliff Yamamoto

Well, actually, you don't want the stub to be a full wavelength long-
actually a quarter wavelength. Also, it should be open ended, not shorted.
An quarter wave stub with one end open looks like a short at the other end
at its resonant frequency.

To design this filter, you need to know the free space wavelength (1.96
meters) as you determined. Divide by four to get a free space quarter
wave. Now you need to know the velocity of propagation (velocity factor)
of the coax you're using. RG-58 (not foam but solid polyethylene) has a
velocity factor of about 66% (.66). Foam RG-58 is about 79%. Anyway,
multiply the free-space quarter wavelength you just came up with by the
velocity factor of the cable you're using and this is the correct length.

A convenient formula for VHF lengths is: L (inches)= 2952/F(MHz) X V

where L is the length of the stub, F is the Frequency in MHz and V is
the Velocity Factor of the cable.

For your example, L=12.8 inches, using RG-58 cable. Build it that way,
leaving the free end open, and it should work. What most guys do is
build it long (also remember the connector adds length) and trim it about
1/8 or 1/4 inch at a time while listening to the offending signal. The
notch is very deep and will be very apparent. Just remember to make small
cuts, because after you go too far, you get to start over!

The length of the antenna feedline is not important, also, theoretically
it shouldn't matter where you place the filter- in reality, you want
to put it near the receiver so that stray pickup by the cable after the
filter won't be significant.

As with everything, there is a down side to this type of filter. Though
the notch depth is good, the filter is somewhat broad and may (will)
also attenuate nearby frequencies to which you may want to listen.
The better the cable quality you use, the higher the Q of the tuned
circuit, and the narrower the notch.

BTW, you can add more sections to the filter by adding more Tees and
more open stubs- probably the only thing that will happen though is
the notch will be broader still.

Hope this helps.        73     Dave KD5RO

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (07/21/89)

cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:

> (stuff deleted about trying to notch out a freq. with a stub)

>         -----------------------------------------------------------
>Antenna  ------------------------------+---------------------------- Receiver
>         ----------------------------+ | +--------------------------
>                              ^      | | | \
>                              |      | | |  \
>         The length of this   |      | | |   \___location of BNC "T" connector
>         "stub" is cut to the |      | | |       important??
>         wavelength of the    |      | | |
>         offending frequency  |      | | |
>                              v      |_|_| <---Short center conductor to shield
>
>The pager frequency is 152.4 Mhz.  So using the ol' ARRL handbook I get a
>wavelength of 1.96 meters (length of the "stub").

Yes, this will work, but just use 1/2 wavelength stub shorted as shown, or
1/4 wave open on the free end.  The 1/2 or 1/4 wave is IN THE TRANSMISSION
LINE, so if you are using std. polyethelene insulated coax (not foam), multiply
the lenght you get for free-space by about .66; see coax refs for other types
of insulation.  Note that this will have attenuation quite a ways away
from the design frequency (not a super-sharp null, though pretty deep with
good coax).  Should not be very dependent on location along the line,
if the line is operated at low SWR.

dvh@cci632.UUCP (David Hallidy) (07/21/89)

In article <4436@merlin.usc.edu>, cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
> Greetings,
>
> 	I am trying to make a sharp notch filter to cut out an overbearing
> paging transmitter that swamps my PRO-2004 scanner on the VHF bands.  I
> *think* I've read somewhere before about how one can cut a piece of cable
> to a certain length and short it at the end to kill the frequency of said
> wavelength.  Something like this...
>
>          |<------------feed line cable length important??--------->|
>
>          -----------------------------------------------------------
> Antenna  ------------------------------+---------------------------- Receiver
>          ----------------------------+ | +--------------------------
>                               ^      | | | \
>                               |      | | |  \
>          The length of this   |      | | |   \___location of BNC "T" connector
>          "stub" is cut to the |      | | |       important??
>          wavelength of the    |      | | |
>          offending frequency  |      | | |
>                               v      |_|_| <---Short center conductor to shield
>
> The pager frequency is 152.4 Mhz.  So using the ol' ARRL handbook I get a
> wavelength of 1.96 meters (length of the "stub").
>
> Has anyone heard of this before?  I know it's cheap and dirty, but I'm not sure
> if the location of the "T" along the feedline is important.  There's no mention
> of this kind of filter in the handbook, but I'm sure I've seen it before.
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
> Cliff Yamamoto

These filters work, though they tend to be a bit broad. Use of very good
coax helps keep the Q high and thus narrow the notch. However, you don't
want to use a free space wavelength, as you calculated. You need to add
in the velocity of propagation (velocity factor) which will make the
actual length somewhat shorter. Also, you needn't use a full wave of cable
- a half-wave or any multiple thereof will work. Also, you can use an
open quarter-wave stub just as effectively. If you're using RG-58 (solid
dielectric, not foam), the velocity factor is 66% (.66). For a half-wave
shorted stub, the formula is: L(inches)= 5904 / Freq in MHz X VF where
L is the length of the stub in inches (convenient at VHF) and VF is the
Velocity Factor of your cable. For a quarter-wave open stub, it's
2952 / F (MHz) X VF.

In your case then, using RG-58, you want a cable length of about 25.6 inches.
Or, 12.8 in the case of the quarter- wave stub. The connector adds a
little length. Best results are to start an inch or so too long, listen
to the offending signal, and trim the end (the reason why I like the open
stub better- you don't have to keep remaking the connection on the end)
in small (1/8 or 1/4 inch) steps until you observe the drop  in the
signal. It will be quite apparent. Remember, if you go too far and cut
too much off, you get to start over with a new piece of cable.

In theory, it doesn't matter where in the feedline you place the filter,
but in reality, you want it as near to the receiver as possible to
minimize stray pickup of the offending signal after the filter.

The only real down side to this circuit is that signals a couple of
MHz away will also be significantly attenuated. This may or may not
matter.

Hope this helps.

73                   Dave KD5RO

ferguson@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Dennis Ferguson) (07/22/89)

In article <4436@merlin.usc.edu> cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
>Greetings,
>
>	I am trying to make a sharp notch filter to cut out an overbearing
>paging transmitter that swamps my PRO-2004 scanner on the VHF bands.  I
>*think* I've read somewhere before about how one can cut a piece of cable
>to a certain length and short it at the end to kill the frequency of said
>wavelength.  Something like this...
>
>         |<------------feed line cable length important??--------->|
>
>         -----------------------------------------------------------
>Antenna  ------------------------------+---------------------------- Receiver
>         ----------------------------+ | +--------------------------
>                              ^      | | | \
>                              |      | | |  \
>         The length of this   |      | | |   \___location of BNC "T" connector
>         "stub" is cut to the |      | | |       important??
>         wavelength of the    |      | | |
>         offending frequency  |      | | |
>                              v      |_|_| <---Short center conductor to shield
>
>The pager frequency is 152.4 Mhz.  So using the ol' ARRL handbook I get a
>wavelength of 1.96 meters (length of the "stub").

The effective wavelength of your stub is the free space wavelength
divided by the square root of the dielectric constant of the coax.
RG58 or RG59 usually has a polyethelene dielectric with Er=2.2-2.6.
Therefore the real wavelength is approximately 1.25 meters.  A full
wavelength is not necessary, for the shorted stub one half wavelength
will do and for an open stub, one quarter wavelength will work.  The
placement of the stub with respect to the antenna and receiver depends
upon if the antenna and receiver impedances look like the standard RF
transmission line impedance of 50 ohms.  Probably the receiver does but the
antenna does not.

A different notch filter that works just as well does not require placement
at a specific distance from the antenna is a transversal filter.  Take a piece
of coax one half wavelength of the frequency you wish to notch (152MHz) and
provide two paths for the signal, one normal path and one which is parallel
but 1/2 wavelength longer.  Since the signals sum 180 degrees out of phase,
the unwanted signal is cancelled out (as well as all harmonics of the signal).

Probably the best approach is to build a twin tee notch filter.

Opps.... my notes aren't laying around... I'll email you the details.

Dennis

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (07/25/89)

In article <29800@cci632.UUCP>, dvh@cci632.UUCP (David Hallidy) writes:
> In article <4436@merlin.usc.edu>, cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
> > Greetings,
> > 	I am trying to make a sharp notch filter to cut out an overbearing
> > paging transmitter that swamps my PRO-2004 scanner on the VHF bands.  I
> > *think* I've read somewhere before about how one can cut a piece of cable
> > to a certain length and short it at the end to kill the frequency of said
> > wavelength.  Something like this...
> > The pager frequency is 152.4 Mhz.  So using the ol' ARRL handbook I get a
> > wavelength of 1.96 meters (length of the "stub").

This may not be a practical solution to your problem, but it's an interesting
one:  some years back in QST magazine (probably between '76 and '78) someone
had an article about a 2-meter (~146Mhz) resonator used for allowing two
stations to share the same antenna (during contests, I believe).  The author
had discovered that a standard 55-gallon garbage can was very close to being
a resonant cavity for that band, requiring only a modest (adjustable) 2-plate
capacitor in the middle (which was large enough that hot dogs could be
rested on it and heated while transmitting (with a little retuning,
of course)).  If you can dig up the article, and if it appeals to you, you
might be able to get away with it for this application.  Just think -- someone
comes in to your den, sees a garbage can, asks you what it is, and you can
reply, "Oh, that's where I throw away unwanted signals from pagers."

John Woods, WB7EEL/1
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

DAVIS@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (JOHN E. DAVIS) (07/26/89)

In article <29800@cci632.UUCP>, dvh@cci632.UUCP (David Hallidy) writes:
> In article <4436@merlin.usc.edu>, cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> 	I am trying to make a sharp notch filter to cut out an overbearing
>> paging transmitter that swamps my PRO-2004 scanner on the VHF bands.  I
>> *think* I've read somewhere before about how one can cut a piece of cable
>> to a certain length and short it at the end to kill the frequency of said
>> wavelength.  Something like this...
>>
>>          |<------------feed line cable length important??--------->|
>>
>>          -----------------------------------------------------------
>> Antenna  ------------------------------+---------------------------- Receiver
>>          ----------------------------+ | +--------------------------
>>                               ^      | | | \
>>                               |      | | |  \
>>          The length of this   |      | | |   \___location of BNC "T" connector
>>          "stub" is cut to the |      | | |       important??
>>          wavelength of the    |      | | |
>>          offending frequency  |      | | |
>>                               v      |_|_| <---Short center conductor to shield
>>
>> The pager frequency is 152.4 Mhz.  So using the ol' ARRL handbook I get a
>> wavelength of 1.96 meters (length of the "stub").
>>
>> Has anyone heard of this before?  I know it's cheap and dirty, but I'm not sure
>> if the location of the "T" along the feedline is important.  There's no mention
>> of this kind of filter in the handbook, but I'm sure I've seen it before.

This is interesting. Can this type of filter be used to remove the
the "buzzing" sound and picture interference my cable company uses to
scramble some of it's channels. Someone told me to use 300 ohm twin lead
and tin foil to do the job. Unfortunately I do not know the "scrambling
frequency" but I imagine it is somewhat standard.

                                       Thanks
                                       John E. Davis
                                        OSU Physics